VOGONS

Common searches

Whee!Poll Marathon: Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Poll: Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within: One of the Greatest Movies of All Time?

• 3 votes (43%) 3 votes (43%)
  • 1 vote (14%) 1 vote (14%)
  • No votes No votes
  • No votes No votes
  • 1 vote (14%) 1 vote (14%)
  • 2 votes (29%) 2 votes (29%)

Okay. I think that this is one of the best movies I've ever seen. Not just for its technical accomplishment, but also for its great, immersive storyline. What do you guys think? (I think it's really sad that Square sold off their rig and abandoned movie-making. I mean, it's better for character development to have a fifty-hour game, but they did a remarkably good job compressing it into 2.5 hours, IMO.)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 1 of 10, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can't vote because none of those replies work for me. Technically, it's brilliant. Characters, good. Both the likeable and the (somewhat cartoonish) unlikeable. The plot, ridiculous.

I find it easier to believe the plot behind "Christine", than this. When you ask someone to believe something of this scale, you've got to do some convincing as well. FF doesn't even try. It simply says it and expects you to believe it. Logical inconsistencies don't help either (IE: Everyone excepts knows about and believes the stories about the invisible spirit creatures, but when they are revealed to be "ghosts", it's ridiculed. Kind of like saying "I know about cars, but these trucks you speak of are preposterous!")

Oh, and a note to all sci-fi screenwriters. Stop showing 1000-year leaps in technology in the space of a few decades. You either have to move it farther down the road or give some extremely well-grounded reasoning for the leap in technology/production capacity.

Reply 2 of 10, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can't vote because none of those replies work for me.

Accept cookies. All cookies under zetafleet.dom are safe and won't hurt you.

Technically, it's brilliant. Characters, good. Both the likeable and the (somewhat cartoonish) unlikeable. The plot, ridiculous.

I find it easier to believe the plot behind "Christine", than this. When you ask someone to believe something of this scale, you've got to do some convincing as well. FF doesn't even try. It simply says it and expects you to believe it. Logical inconsistencies don't help either (IE: Everyone excepts knows about and believes the stories about the invisible spirit creatures, but when they are revealed to be "ghosts", it's ridiculed. Kind of like saying "I know about cars, but these trucks you speak of are preposterous!")

It's selective storytelling. Everyone knows of the spirits because they've invaded their lives. They don't know that they're ghosts: they think they're living forms of life. Everyone knows the doctor's theory already. Selective storytelling. A better comparison would be the old ghost story where "it's not a hairless dog, it's a rat!"

Oh, and a note to all sci-fi screenwriters. Stop showing 1000-year leaps in technology in the space of a few decades. You either have to move it farther down the road or give some extremely well-grounded reasoning for the leap in technology/production capacity.

Actually, there's a mathematical model that correlates to the speed of major advancements in technology (mass-production, modern medicine, personal computers). It says that, by 2012, the rate of life-changing advancements will reach infinity. Granted, real life phenomena could easily change the year that this occurs (such as the major catastrophe that is slated to happen on December 21, 2012, "coincidentally" the same date the mathematical model proposes we reach a near-infinite rate of development). It's all theory, but it does have some evidence alongside it.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 3 of 10, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Snover wrote:

No, he meant, "they don't work for me, bud.", i.e. none of the choices seems particularly acceptable. I think. 😀

I voted the Yes for Technical Brilliance. But I thought the plot sucked, too.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 5 of 10, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

No, I meant that I liked the film, but I found the plot to be a major distraction.

*SPOILER ALERT*

It's selective storytelling.

Selective or not, they don't give us much reason to believe this.
Other than the characters' personal passions to believe it...

Everyone knows of the spirits because they've invaded their lives. They don't know that they're ghosts: they think they're living forms of life.

ghost Pronunciation Key (gst) n.

1.The spirit of a dead person, especially one believed to appear in bodily likeness to living
persons or to haunt former habitats.
2.The center of spiritual life; the soul.
3.A demon or spirit.
4.A returning or haunting memory or image.

Actually, the first dictionary I found listed "Phantom" as an alternate word. IIRC, this is what people called the apparition within the film itself. Spirit/Phantom/Ghost do not have the exact same definition, but they're not really all that different either. So to say 'I know about the phantoms, but don't give me this bilge about ghosts' is very bizarre.

Everyone knows the doctor's theory already.

Everyone in the movie...the people who walk into the movie theater get a 30-second dissertation. "True" 'Final Fantasy' fans would already know this (but wonder what this had to do with 'Final Fantasy') but an average filmgoer is going to get confused very quickly...and the film has just started.

The General was a little too Cartoonish of a bad guy compared to everyone else, at least they give us a reason behind his emotional instability. (That rational behind him _deliberately_ allowing the phantoms into the city was terrible though... If he needed an "incident" and if he actually cared about human life he would find a more controlled environment than an entire city. Not buying it...)

Actually, there's a mathematical model that correlates to the speed of major advancements in technology (mass-production, modern medicine, personal computers). It says that, by 2012, the rate of life-changing advancements will reach infinity.

Not seeing it. If anything we're seeing something of a slowdown.

Granted, real life phenomena could easily change the year that this occurs (such as the major catastrophe that is slated to happen on December 21, 2012, "coincidentally" the same date the mathematical model proposes we reach a near-infinite rate of development). It's all theory, but it does have some evidence alongside it.

Ah, the Mayan calendar again...Hrmmm. Interesting.

Reply 6 of 10, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

*sigh* Fiiine, I added a "plot sucks" option. (Ingrates...😉)

"Plot was a major distratction from the rest of the film" is closest for me.

*It's not like either of you couldn't do that, either...

Oooo...don't know if you want me doing stuff like that...editing other people's polls...just asking for trouble.