Today: Why is VOGONS so unpopular?
It's a good question, you know.

Choose all that apply.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 1 of 25, by [vEX]

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I guess it's because I don't look on all of the sub-forums but I haven't seen much anti-vogons talk so I can't pick any of those options.

Antec P182B | Asus P8Z77-V PRO | Intel i5 3570k | 16GB DDR3 | 4TB HDD | Pioneer BDR-207D | Asus Xonar DX | Altec Lansing CS21 | Eizo EV2736W-BK | Arch Linux (64-bit/x86_64)

Reply 2 of 25, by Zorbid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Why is VOGONS so unpopular?

> Not enough Advertising
> HotU does it already

Maybe, dunno... I advertise it as much as I can, but I'm a competitor in some way :p (I'm VOGONSing on this french board, which had a troubleshooting board before VOGONS existed. Most questions are related to pre 1995 games, and the solution is (95% of the time): a) Use DOSBox/VDMS b) Use Shinobi's boot disk (A french only boot disk, with a 1337 .bat driven menu. It can load DOS sound drivers as modules (very nice), but since it's MSDOS based, and French only, I never spoke of it here, ... ho, well, that's not the point 😁). In the 5% remaining, the solution to 4 of them is in deep thought (and I send them there). I send the last 1% here (when the problem is out of my competence), but AFAIK, none ever came (dunno why 🙁, ... maye because they don't speak english...)

It's sure that more advertising wouldn't hurt. Register at HoTU, put a big VOGONS link in your sig, and spam the hell out of the board untill she finally adds an official link somewhere 😉

> Plenty of other places to find it
> No static content
> The site is ugly

Hey, the "Deep thought" forum is a gold mine. And it _is_ static content. You sould at least place it higher in the forum list, and even (IMHO) put it on a "non forum" page. I think that the forum layout isn't appropriate for this kind of content (although I assume it's very usefull to edit, modify, etc.). You could hide it (staff only) and write a cutom php script to read the DB, giving it a more "suited" design...

> Something Else

Post more news!! More than 2 month without a piece of news! it sounds like the site is dead...

Everytime somthing is udated in Deep Thoughts/Release announcements (relevant stuff, heh, like DOSBox (OR VirtualPC), old games Source code releases/remakes, ...), post it! There has been nothing about Mouse2kV, the Compat list and the Problem Children update, the "new" VDMS package...

You could easilly turn the home page into an "Old games updates and VOGONS news page" news page

Last edited by Zorbid on 2003-03-10, 20:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 25, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'll say it because noone else will.

It's you Snover. It's all you.

😁

I think the site is doing very good for what it is. Almost 600 members registered to a technical forum for old games. Pretty good, IMO.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 25, by dud716

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

.......Maybe you should offer a free box of Nicht's PAPER CHEESE WEASELS to every new registered member that posts 😀

......two free boxes if you invite a friend:)

...in that quiet earth"

Reply 6 of 25, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by dud716 .......Maybe you should offer a free box of Nicht's PAPER CHEESE WEASELS to every new registered member that posts

That would likely end up with me being arrested for attempted murder.
Eating anyone's cheese weasels other than your own would be a real health hazard (above and beyond the health hazard that they already are...).

Reply 12 of 25, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Originally posted by Zorbid
the solution is (95% of the time): a) Use DOSBox/VDMS b) Use Shinobi's boot disk (A french only boot disk, with a 1337 .bat driven menu. It can load DOS sound drivers as modules (very nice), but since it's MSDOS based, and French only, I never spoke of it here

At all interested in doing a translation? I'd be happy to (try and) help if need be.

Reply 14 of 25, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Or you could just use Babelfish (http://babel.altavista.com/):

In French:
Snover A plié son Wookie Enregistré: Endroit De Juin 2002: Poteaux Du Minnesota, Etats-Unis: 2597 absolument. Je l'imagine serais réellement plutôt simple puisque les phrases réduites en fragments justes sont habituellement tout ß fait simples pour traduire. __________________ - Colin Snover zetafleet.dom Veuillez peupler cette liste de jeux de glissement! Croyez-l'ou pas, nous avons signaler des directives toujours. Rapportez ce poteau ß un modérateur | IP: Noté Le 27 Mars, 2003 06:59 AM

Back to English:
Snover Bent his Wookie Registered: Jun 2002 Hiring: Minnesota, the USA Posts: 2597 Absolutely. I imagines it would simple Be actually rather since just fragmented sentences simple are usually quite to relocates. __________________ - Hake Snover zetafleet.dom Please populate this list of Glide games! Believe it gold not, we cuts posting guidelines always. Carryforward this post to has moderator | IP: Logged March 27th, 2003 06:59 AM

Okay maybe not 😜 It's always fun to make computers look stupid 😉 I like the part about cutting the posting guidelines 😁

Last edited by HunterZ on 2003-03-27, 18:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15 of 25, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Voila, c'est pourquoi je deviendrai riche en traduisant les telles choses en anglais 😉

And no doubt I made a mistake in there somewhere that will make me look utterly foolish...

Anyhow, I had a (very) quick look at this last night and with the possible exception of any of the .com files that litter the disk image being in French, as Snover said I reckon this is pretty doable. It's just a matter of switching out the corresponding english system files for the French ones and then translating the batch stuff. Maybe I'll give it a go once I've got my current translation project out of the way and freed up some time...

Reply 16 of 25, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Translating the text in the .com files wouldn't be impossible either... The only problem would be that you might have to replace the text with text that is no longer than the original strings, unless you want to do some serious assembly-level hacking.

Reply 18 of 25, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't think the site is that unpopular. Old DOS games just don't have the popularity of old nes or sega roms, and the user base is probably shrinking rather than growing. I show my kids classics such as Crusader No Remorse, Magic Carpet, or Wing Commander and they have no interest in playing them and go back to the latest cookie cutter game for the PS2 with lots of eye candy and shallow gameplay.

I guess hosting the content like HotU would generate more traffic. I have thought of just having an archive of games already installed, configured, and tested for use with DOSBox would be useful, especially for inexperienced DOS users. Just copy the directory and play. I have most of the DOS games that I play on a DVD-R and do that very thing, just copy it and play since it was already installed.

Reply 19 of 25, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't know. Vogons is cool. DOSBox is great but it's not kept much in consideration by the emu sites I check. For example, on Italian emu sites you don't even find DOSBox listed between the emulators. This is because it takes some DOS knowledge and not everybody knows it that well here - lazy asses! There's way more to say about that