Common searches

Why are we so unpopular?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I found the Amiga, Mac, C64, and (to a lesser extent) MSX emulators I've tried over the years to be generally harder to use than DOSBox. I know that it's mostly because I never really used any of those systems back in the day.

At any rate, DOSBox is quite well-known even if it's not a strong presence on the general emulation scene. That scene seems to be pretty slow these days anyways, with only a few mature projects like MAME still being actively developed (and for pete's sake why in the hell do they keep making Glide-based N64 emulators? It just doesn't make any freaking sense! STOP IT! Argh.)

Reply 21 of 25, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Its not vogons snover. Unfortunately it seems abandonware and oldies forums/sites have all been well.....abandoned for lack of a better word. 😢 I am trying my best to revive the freeoldies english forum recently (with some success! 😁 ) however in general it seems people are loosing interest these days.

I'm not sure why really. If I had the cash and means I would start up my own little community for the classics but I don't think that is going to happen any time soon. 😅

Dosbox itself is very popular so perhaps as long as people will use it they will come here for help. That only refers to the dosbox section though, since many people don't bother with the other sections, a shame.

My suggestion would be to maybe clean the place up a bit, perhaps add some colour here and there. There are a bit too many sections and it probably scares some users away. I see so many posts in wrong places that its clear some get confused.

Reply 23 of 25, by Marauder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Because:

-site is one of the ugliest I have seen
-sometimes snappy developers:"Get new computer." "Get new joystick." "Program a fix yourself".
-too much programming BS. You better know how to compile a program if you want some unsual patches

Reply 25 of 25, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

22% 22% (5) Not enough Advertising
22% 22% (5) The site is ugly
18% 18% (4) Moderators are stupid meanie jerks
18% 18% (4) No static content
13% 13% (3) Something Else
4% 4% (1) HotU does it already
0% 0% (0) Plenty of other places to find it