VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Was cruising around DarkHorse researching info on how to use my USB HD in DOS when I found this: http://members.hyperlink.net.au/~chart/pci.htm

Whoah! Check out the links! Tons of info!

Off to try to get my USB drive working in DOS.....Hopefully I can boot 2K off it! 😉

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1 of 1, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Crap, Bios doesn't support USB booting of course. I'd heard a rumour that even if you couldn't pick it as long as it had a Primary partition set to active that it MIGHT boot with SOME Bios's. Guess not here.

Here are my results so far:

CONFIG.SYS

dos=high,umb
REM device=A:\emm386.exe
device=a:\himem.sys
device=oakcdrom.sys /D:mscd001
REM IOMEGA BUNDLE ZIP DRIVERS
REM FOR UHCI CONTROLLERS
REM device=a:\aspiuhci.sys /int /all /d1 /d2 /d3 /d4
REM FOR EHCI USB 2.0 CONTROLLERS
device=a:\aspiehci.sys /int /all
REM FOR OHCI CONTROLLERS
REM device=a:\aspiohci.sys /int /all /d1 /d2 /d3 /d4
REM 'Motto Hairu' device driver
device=a:\Di1000dd.sys

AUTOEXEC.BAT
MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001

External Enclosure Used:

Looks like this: http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image … -146-010-01.jpg

Except only supports 120GB and supports USB2/1394.

Currently has a Western Digital 120GB in it.

Well I booted with the above configuration and was unable to load the drive. Banged my head against the desk a couple of times and must have dislodged something because I finally went into the bios and disabled the integrated USB, rebooted and my drive worked! WOOHOO! (The drive is connected to a USB 2.0 Controller) I also connected it to the integrated USB but it never found it.

Okay, so I load it up. (Also disabled the hard drives on the IDE Controller just in case) and noticed that FDISK splits the drive up into 2 48GB drives. Not sure if this is a an FDISK limitation, driver, or Enclosure limitation. I created 1 4GB and 1 6GB partition and they created and formatted in less than a minute!

Tried to Install 98SE but after it got done copying the files and rebooted it will not load. Will have to look into further. I'll probably just copy over 98 from my VPC images.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline