VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by hajime

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!
I am planning to make a Windows 98 and a DOS partition (2 of them), and I know that for the DOS one, the type is FAT32... But what kind of partition is that of Windows?
(The program I use is GParted)

Thanks!!

Reply 1 of 6, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

*** Moving to Milliways... ***

I'd say the same one for Windows 98. If I am not mistaken, Windows 9.x doesn't support NTFS.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 6, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
hajime wrote:

I am planning to make a Windows 98 and a DOS partition (2 of them), and I know that for the DOS one, the type is FAT32... But what kind of partition is that of Windows?

If you're already using FAT32 for DOS, there's no point of using FAT16 for Windows, so use FAT32 for that one too.

Reply 5 of 6, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It did, the 16 (2^16) was the number of sectors the file system could address, so FAT 16 had 64k sectors, which worked out to about 32 megabytes since a sector was 512 bytes. That worked ok for a while, but soon reached it's limit as hard drives got larger than 32 megs. One of the things that DOS 4.0 addressed was changing the sector address into a cluster address. That way it would still stay within the 64k FAT limit, but support larger hard drives. The larger the drive, the larger the cluster size. That was inefficient because if you had 16k clusters and had to write 17k of data, you ended up using 2 clusters with the 2nd only having a single sector of data.

FAT 32 extended the hard drive address space to over 4 billion sectors. 2^32, allowing for even larger drives. The cluster size was set to 4k so it was less wasteful. It also increased the root directory size. Before FAT 32 if you had more than 512 files in your root directory it would crash your hard drive. I saw someone do that once, accidently unzipping a file with a lot of files to the root instead of a folder.