VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What the hell is this anti-glare shit that they put on monitors? If anything gets on the monitor (like, spit, from when I get spitting mad, and other stuff like that), it smears and makes a rather nasty translucent coat of crap (that just happens to glare. A lot).

Second question, what the hell can I use to get rid of it? I'm sick of it. It's a pain in the ass. I can't clean my monitor because the crap always smears and then I have to push HARD when rubbing it into transparency again. I've tried plain water, Windex, petroleum-based cleaner (Goo Gone), special "Electronics Cleaner" for monitors and TVs, dry cloth, Swiffer cloths (they make it the worst, which is fucked up since they don't have any coating, they're just thick lint-free cloths AFAIK), saliva, cotton shirts, denim pants, and wash rags, and NONE of them work. They just make things worse. It's REALLY ANNOYING, to say the least.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 1 of 9, by dud716

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Try 90% (or better) alcohol applied to a piece of fine nylon, (old pantyhose work pretty good)...be careful!!...too much pressure on the monitor glass may result in scratches!!!

...in that quiet earth"

Reply 3 of 9, by dud716

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Uh, ...perhaps. The safest method (to avoid any chance of scratches) would be to use 100% cotton cloth moistened with alcohol. I don't know what material the lint-free cloths are made of, so I can't comment on their use. Typically, cotton (new, unused) will not scratch most surfaces, but in any case, whatever material you decide to use, be sure to wet it. The liquid not only acts as a solvent, but also aids in lubricating the surface, thus avoiding scratches. Hope this helps. If all else fails, go to K-Mart and buy a pack of Fruit Of The Loom t-shirts!!!:) They work great on my 1986 windshield!!!:D

...in that quiet earth"

Reply 9 of 9, by edelbeb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can't tell you how to get rid of the coating, but I've learned how to clean a screen with an anti-glare coating. Turn the monitor off and wipe it thoroughly with a damp chamois cloth. Then, remove most of the chamois litter from the screen lightly with a dry lint-free cloth. Spray with compressed air to remove the final bits of lint with increasing the static charge on the screen.