VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kyl3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've always used the MT-32 for most GM games, knowingly it sounds cheesy most of the time, expecially if no custom sounds are used.

I've read in numerous threads that most of u guys use customized soundfonts like fluid (rev3), synergi and the microsoft DLS font. (Also downloadable as sf2 somewhere).

I've tried all of these fonts, though some are really quality fonts other really try to resemble the original canvas (Which IS the standard) but neither one I tried sounds like the real thing. The fluid font has really good instruments, but sounds like crap in games (like warcraft II). Synergi isn't it.. the microsoft soundfont resembles the SC most, well atleast it is balanced like te SC, but sounds sound quite crappy (22khz cymbals for example, and it looks like they've shortned the intstruments someway).

The 51.mb Sound Canvas (1.0) soundfont on http://www.thesoundsite.net sounds more like it (The w2 midi has the same instruments as the music on the w2 cd.. very impressive), but it ain't balanced at all (at other games. I can't seem to find the best font to use instead of the canvas.

What Soundfont is the best for retrogaming (GM/GS) ??..

(Sorry for the long story, but I'd like to show I tried and avoid answers like rtff(aq) or go google)

Reply 1 of 1, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Personally, I use GeneralUser 1.35. It's around 32MB and has GM and GS support. The instruments are a good mix between realistic and balanced. I've tried over a dozen soundfonts in the 20mb+ range and I haven't found one that's better for general usage.

For MT-32 games I use a 3.3mb soundfont that I made by stripping all of the non-bank 127 instruments out of a 4MB Creative GM/GS/MT soundfont and changing the bank number of the remaining instruments to 0. I load it into synth B and set LaunchPad to use it for MT-32 games. It sounds arguably better than mapping the instruments to GM and using a GM soundfont, although 90% of MT-32 games try to tweak the instruments and end up sounding bad no matter what. I hope vlad actually makes that MT-32 emulator he's been doing experiments for.

[EDIT] AnotherGS is another good generic GM/GS soundfont to try. I believe it is somewhat larger than GeneralUser, but under 64MB. It's made from sounds found in other free soundfonts, which have been balanced with each other.

Last edited by HunterZ on 2003-04-28, 20:02. Edited 1 time in total.