Your favorite game music?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 34, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dominus wrote:

and don't forget QUAKE! I'm just a Trent Reznor fanboy but even though it's very much fitting into the atmosphere.

Ah, speaking about atmosphere, anyone remember the original Dune soundtrack?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 22 of 34, by Marek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My favourites:

Monkey Island 1-4: You got to listen to the original MT-32 version of the Monkey 1 and 2. The enhanced CD of Monkey 1 is different but also worth a listen, especially as there are some additional and some extended tracks.
Most of the other LucasArts adventure soundtracks are excellent es well.

Doom 1 and 2: Listen to it with a Sound Canvas.

Rock'n'Roll (Rainbow Arts): Amiga version is best. C64 version comes 2nd.

Lemmings 1: Amiga version. I can't stand the Adlib sound of the PC version. The GM of the Windows port is okay, though, but not as great as the Amiga version.

Super Mario Land (Game Boy): It's just amazing what they did of squarewaves and some noise.

P.P.Hammer: Amiga version. The music is great, but they are repeated a little too often throughout the game. If there were only more of them, ie. more and longer tunes.

Turrican 2: A pity the GUS driver was broken, which sounds really nice (until the next crash). The Windows Sound System driver can render up to 48000 khz and sounds superior to the Amiga version. The C64 version has less and completely different music, and it's definately one of the best SID game soundtracks and also worth a listen.

DOS-PC: DFI k6bv3+, Pentium 200mmx, 64 MB RAM, Terratec Maestro 32 sound card, Roland MT-32 + SC-155, Winner 2000 AVI 2MB, Voodoo 1, Win98SE
Windows PC: GigaByte GA-MA790GPT, Phenom II X4 905e, 12 GB RAM, M-Audio Delta 44, NVidia 1060 6 GB, Win7 pro x64

Reply 24 of 34, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TranceDude wrote:

I would love to hear what your favorite tunes are of them (PC speaker

Ah, when it goes to PC speaker, my favorite tunes are always the opening song of Microprose games like Airborne Ranger, F-19 Stealth Fighter, and F-15 Strike Eagle II --they still sound good even with PC speaker!

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 25 of 34, by Marek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On pc speaker, Pinball Fantasies does quite a good job.

DOS-PC: DFI k6bv3+, Pentium 200mmx, 64 MB RAM, Terratec Maestro 32 sound card, Roland MT-32 + SC-155, Winner 2000 AVI 2MB, Voodoo 1, Win98SE
Windows PC: GigaByte GA-MA790GPT, Phenom II X4 905e, 12 GB RAM, M-Audio Delta 44, NVidia 1060 6 GB, Win7 pro x64

Reply 26 of 34, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

An entire forum wouldn't be enough to list my favorite pieces of game music. I'll keep it short (as a teaser of things I like to listen to).

Old school: Turrican 3 (Chris Hülsbeck), Yu-no (Ryu Umemoto)
New school: Oblivion (Jeremy Soule), Okami (Masami Ueda)

Reply 27 of 34, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Final Fantasy VII (yes, I bought that one in PC). When it was released, reviews weren't good, because it was MIDI when CD Audio was the standard. But it sounded impressive on my AWE64 (with the special soundfont), and it was very atmospheric.

Also, the tracks in Elite Beat Agents are very well chosen, but that is off-topic (not PC, not an old game).

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 28 of 34, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

By the way, anyone remember the opening theme of Bargon Attack? Pretty cool soundtrack, IMO.

Reply 29 of 34, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Ah, speaking about atmosphere, anyone remember the original Dune soundtrack?

This may (or may not) interest you:

http://queststudios.com/smf/index.php/topic,2121.0.html

Reply 30 of 34, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The above lists MP3 recordings of Adlib Gold playing various Dune ingame tunes. While this below lists MP3 recordings of MT32 doing the same for the Dune 2 soundtrack.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&s … cial%26hs%3D5OQ

Also, make sure to look up 'Dune : Spice Opera' - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune:_Spice_Opera - Dune 1 game music rerecorded and studio mastered. It's out of print but available through various sources...

Reply 31 of 34, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the links. I actually have downloaded some of the songs from here. The song "Arrakis" is awesome as always, but too bad they don't have Chani theme song.

Reply 32 of 34, by SysGOD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote:

and don't forget QUAKE! I'm just a Trent Reznor fanboy but even though it's very much fitting into the atmosphere.

exactly my opinion. NIN rocks the shit. even when i was playing quake4 i had always quake2 music playing. 😀

but my alltime favorite is the orchestral music of outcast and total annihilation, very awesome and unreachable...

sysprofile.png

Reply 33 of 34, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah, I just remember Tyrian. My most favorite Tyrian soundtrack is none other than Tunneling Trolls; what yours?