Common searches

Forum nitpick

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 52, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IIRC, there was an article posted a couple of days ago about another spyware incident with Opera. Something to do with banner ads becoming more specific to the users surfing? I'll see if I can find it....

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 21 of 52, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There have been options in the preferences that tailor the advertising to your liking for years but I've never touched those. The ads seem random enough, right now it's showing one for Ebay and I practically never go there.

Wasurenaide...
...watashi ga iru koto o.
Itsudatte soba ni iru yo.

Gentoo. Because everything else is just shit. 😁
Registered Linux user #319839

Reply 23 of 52, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have been coming here a fair bit lately... 😉

....but no, it's not. 😁

Wasurenaide...

Reply 24 of 52, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As a dialup surfer, there's no way in hell that I'm going to use a browser with a built-in ad banner.

As for Mozilla...I'd be willing to give it a third chance, but I've honestly not cared much for it since MSIE matured.

What is "Quick Launch"? That can't be the official Microsoft name, as "Quick Launch" is the name of a toolbar on the taskbar 😕 How do I turn it on and off? Is it global or do I have to turn it on or off for each program?

Also, for the record: MSIE requires no spyware to run. On the other hand, it is probably the most susceptible browser to pop-up ads - not to mention pop-unders ~>:( I don't know what qualifies a "slow" CPU in Snover's book, but if 550MHz falls into that category then screw Mozilla. You should be able to surf the web in all its glory on a P133 with 32MB of RAM. Well, except for Flash movies that is.

-----

Anyways, BACK TO THE ORIGINAL TOPIC (and then back off again): I just thought it would be cool if Tomb Raider threads could be filtered out of the search results >;D

Reply 25 of 52, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HunterZ wrote:

As for Mozilla...I'd be willing to give it a third chance, but I've honestly not cared much for it since MSIE matured.

MSIE is far from mature. In fact, MSIE6 is a great leap BACK from MSIE5.5.

To prove my point (if you can): Visit zetafleet.dom with MSIE5.5, then with MSIE6, then with Mozilla. It's funky with MSIE5.5 but it still works properly, the menus are completely broken with MSIE6, and it is all correct with Mozilla.

What is "Quick Launch"? That can't be the official Microsoft name, as "Quick Launch" is the name of a toolbar on the taskbar 😕 How do I turn it on and off? Is it global or do I have to turn it on or off for each program?

The installer will explain all about it. 😀

Also, for the record: MSIE requires no spyware to run.

That's not what Ad-aware tells me, since it always creates a spyware key whenever it is upgraded.

On the other hand, it is probably the most susceptible browser to pop-up ads - not to mention pop-unders ~>:( I don't know what qualifies a "slow" CPU in Snover's book, but if 550MHz falls into that category then screw Mozilla.

Not to mention virii that can be easily contracted through the instanely stupid ActiveX which has full control of your computer.

You should be able to surf the web in all its glory on a P133 with 32MB of RAM. Well, except for Flash movies that is.

You can do that, it'll just be slow. 😜

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 26 of 52, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HunterZ wrote:

As a dialup surfer, there's no way in hell that I'm going to use a browser with a built-in ad banner.

I've been using Opera on dial-up for three years and the ad banner hasn't resulted in any noticable reduction in browsing speed. Quite the opposite in fact. Opera is consistently much faster than anything else I've tried that doesn't have an ad banner including Mozilla (and it's derivatives, they're all the same) and MSIE.

Wasurenaide...

Reply 27 of 52, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tried this? http://www.praytothemachine.com/sliderule/arc … ves/000596.html

Also, if the site supports transparent GZipped content, it will go much faster in Mozilla/Phoenix since they actually support it.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 28 of 52, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Snover wrote:

The installer will explain all about it. 😀

Lame - it's not any super-secret M$ trick - it's just a stupid system tray program that eats up resources while Mozilla isn't running. I hate having 20 icons in my system tray (and the running processes that come with them) and a lot more RAM used a lot more than I hate waiting a few extra seconds for programs to load.

I also noticed that Mozilla uses 50% more physical RAM and twice as much virtual memory as MSIE. I imagine that's due to the fact that MSIE is integrated more into the OS, but still it means that Mozilla has a significantly larger memory footprint.

You're right about the default skin sucking ass too - I'll have to try pinball. One of the things I like most about MSIE is that all the toolbars are the same size, so you can put them all on one small line to save screen space. With the default Mozilla skin you can only turn each of them on and off, and the address bar is HUGE.

...Now I have to tweak this supid thing or else I'm just gunna end up uninstalling it again 🙄

[EDIT]Hmm... It doesn't seem to support middle button scrolling either. I use that feature a lot in MSIE and other Windows apps. I almost use it more than the scroll wheel.

Reply 29 of 52, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Middle-mouse-button clicking on links opens in a new tab.

And yes, it is most definitely because MSIE is integrated into the operating system.

Virtual memory? How much RAM do you have?
With JRE1.4 loaded into memory, Mozilla takes up 69MB. It needs to flush memory more often, but it shouldn't matter on any modern OS. When only resident (Quick Launch) it takes up about 16MB. Not bad, especially compared to the Windows footprint which is about 100MB or more.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 30 of 52, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Still playing with Mozilla ("Mozilla 1.3 Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.3) Gecko/20030312" to be exact). I got the pinball skin, and do like it a lot better than either of the defaults. So far, nothing is scaring me away, although it's definitely a lot different than IE (yes, different, not necessarily better or worse on the whole so far).

I went to http://www.nvidia.com/ and their dropdown menus at the top of the page are unusable. They display fine, but when I move the mouse down to select one of the menu items on the dropdown list, the dropdown disappears.

The way Mozilla loads pages is a lot different. It seems to not do as good a job at showing you all the text and tables and forms right away as MSIE does. Maybe it's getting hung up on loading images or other fancy stuff instead of showing placeholders. I'd rather see what it can glean from the HTML right away and have placeholders for everything else until it gets loaded, but oh well.

I wonder if the plugin management is still as barbaric as it used to be... I just noticed that I have to download a Shockwave Flash plugin because it apparently can't use the one that IE already has on my system.

Reply 31 of 52, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HunterZ wrote:

I went to http://www.nvidia.com/ and their dropdown menus at the top of the page are unusable. They display fine, but when I move the mouse down to select one of the menu items on the dropdown list, the dropdown disappears.

Ah, yeah, they don't know how to code DHTML. I could've sworn they worked before, so they must've changed something pretty drastically with their GFFX release.

The way Mozilla loads pages is a lot different. It seems to not do as good a job at showing you all the text and tables and forms right away as MSIE does.

Use the trick I posted above--

type "about:config" (there is no space in that, stupid vBulletin!) in the URL bar, right-click on the new page, go New > Integer, type in "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" and then "0". It'll actually render SLOWER, since it needs to do more passes, but it'll give the APPEARANCE that it's rendering faster. You can try to enable Pipelining in the preferences but I've found it causes more problems, and with a broadband connection I never have any problems 😀

I wonder if the plugin management is still as barbaric as it used to be... I just noticed that I have to download a Shockwave Flash plugin because it apparently can't use the one that IE already has on my system.

Less barbaric than MSIE's -- it doesn't try to install things without your permission and fuck up your registry. It's a bit painful at first but really once you get it all sorted out it's much nicer (don't like a plugin? Remove the DLL from the plugins directory and you're done). If you don't feel like restarting your browser after installing a plugin, well, you don't have to! Just type (and I'm sure vBulletin will muck with this, so just realise there are NO spaces ANYWHERE in it 😀):
javascript:navigator.plugins.refresh(true)

And that's it!
You'll notice if you go to, say, my site, that it actually renders things correctly, too. 😀

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 32 of 52, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay wait, let me get this straight:
Your site doesn't display correctly with MSIE because MSIE is fucked up, but nvidia.com doesn't display correctly with Mozilla because nVidia is to blame? Heheheh... 🙄 😜

I'll have to mess with those hidden functions you mentioned when I get home. Is there one for switching themes without restarting, by any chance? Also, is there a way to make it open stuff in new tabs instead of new windows? I like the tab feature a lot and wish that I could have everything open up in tabs whether it wants to or not.

Reply 33 of 52, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Basically, yes. 😜

Tabbed browsing:

Navigator > Tabbed Browsing. Basically, middle-mouse-button. You get used to it quickly. I think that if you get MultiZilla (I don't like it) there is that option to have all new windows open as tabs. There was a feature request I voted on a while ago that was to add an option to have all "new" windows open as tabs instead... I am not sure what happened to it. Anyway, it's an imperfect thing, since you can't open javascript windows in tabs, but usually windows being opened with javascript are sized specifically for whatever anyway.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 34 of 52, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes I had already discovered the tabbed browsing feature. I was actually referring to the other issue you mentioned, which is having automatically-opening windows open as tabs instead. If Mozilla did that then it would beat any other browser I've seen, hands-down.

Reply 37 of 52, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Here's a wild idea...Why don't we all just use whatever browser we each prefer and move on with our lives?

Yes, I know...It's a wild idea...

No problem here, except that if you don't ever try anything new then you'll never know if there's something out there that you might like better.

Snover wrote:

Try MultiZilla. It has a feature similar.

Has it a feature similar? Then it must be a browser good! 😜 But no, I'm too lazy to test another browser. I'll just have to live with the two I have already.