VOGONS

Common searches

Forum nitpick

Topic actions

Reply 41 of 52, by Kyl3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Why just rant about mozilla/opera and IE. Delve into the browserworld http://browsers.evolt.org and learn how most browser are quite brotherlike..

To bad there isn't really a "History of browsers page", maybe someone knows of one?

Reply 42 of 52, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Digging up an old thread...I've been using Mozilla almost exclusively at home for the past several weeks, and it works pretty well. I just found another thing that it does that's EXTREMELY stupid, however, and is something that Mozilla/Netscape has always done for some reason: it thinks RAR files are text files and displays them on the screen instead of bringing up a save prompt when I left-click on them. That means that I have to right-click and do Save As and pray to God that the site allows right-clicks and a direct link to the file.

Reply 43 of 52, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah, yeah, I've noticed that too, but I'm pretty certain it's due to the server's MIME types not being set correctly. I've wanted a feature a la Opera to detect unreliable file types through the file extension. I should submit a bug report. Hmm hmm hmm.

You can always wait until the thing finishes rendering the RAR file and then do a File > Save Page As. (Hasn't caused any problems thus far for me when I do get the occasional stupid site that actually knows how to deny right-clicks -- most of the right-click-blockers only work for IE, which amuses me to no end.)

Also, I've been told by someone at my school that FireBird renders pages hella fast through our school proxy (which is slower than, well, just about anything short of a 28.8kbps modem), but that's another point for another day.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 44 of 52, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by HunterZ ... is something that Mozilla/Netscape has always done for some reason: it thinks RAR files are text files and displays them on the screen instead of bringing up a save prompt when I left-click on them.

I've gotten this as well, but it's not consistent. Downloads properly at some sites, tries to "display" them on others. Wish my GoZilla still worked properly with the new browsers.

Reply 45 of 52, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nicht, stop discounting all my messages, heh

I'm pretty certain it's due to the server's MIME types not being set correctly

Which would equate to working on some, but not all, sites.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 47 of 52, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

I've gotten this as well, but it's not consistent. Downloads properly at some sites, tries to "display" them on others.

So it's a lazy/ignorant web developer issue rather than a lazy/ignorant browser programmer issue 😉 Still, IE somehow dealth with it and I wish I could make Mozilla handle it too.

Wish my GoZilla still worked properly with the new browsers.

OMG you're still using that SpyWare ripoff of GetRight? EWWWWW!

GetRight can work with Mozilla via a flaky plugin, but I decided to avoid that and just copy and paste links instead.

Reply 48 of 52, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So it's a lazy/ignorant web developer issue rather than a lazy/ignorant browser programmer issue Still, IE somehow dealth with it and I wish I could make Mozilla handle it too.

MSIE deals with it by breaking IETF specifications and not actually being a web browser.
If it sees a file of Content-type: text/plain, but the first line is <html>, it renders it as HTML. That's against the specifications for actually qualifing as a web browser, which I find terribly amusing.
Anyway, I've added a vote for a bug (err, enhancement) that hopefully will receive more attention.

I wish I could find the damn link to this information, but it was in someone's Slashdot journal and I'll be damned if I'm gonna go and try to find it. 😜

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 49 of 52, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by HunterZ you're still using that SpyWare ripoff of GetRight?

*heh* You took the bait...actually it's "GoZilla Classic". The $10 version with no ads/spyware. I like it especially because it lets me create my own categories (dozens of them) and specify separate download areas for every one of them, set a separate # of simultaneous downloads for each category as well as the program in general. Oh, and the "super-file leecher", for sites that break their downloads into a dozen or more pieces. Still haven't found anything else that does all this...

Only the browser-link seems to have broken with the newer browsers....

Reply 51 of 52, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover Hmm, which sites would be these ones that break their downloads into multiple pieces, hnn?

[Super-Secret text deleted]