Common searches

Publicity

Topic actions

First post, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hey, guys. Again, I feel VOGONS needs a bit more publicity. The (hopefully) upcoming addition of GliDOS to the VOGONS board means great possibility for more users, but I'd still like to smear VOGONS around common old games hangouts. I sent a message to The Underdogs to see if they'd give us some publicity on their frontpage, but haven't heard back from them. Anyone else with a bit more leverage care to try? (Anywhere else is good too, of course. 😀)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 1 of 27, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'll see what I can do as far as anywhere else, again.

If only we could be mentioned on Slashdot...
(Colin's servers would probably fry!)

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 2 of 27, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Waitaminute... GLIDOS at VOGONS?!?!

HOW COOL IS THAT?!?!

Good going, Col... and (if it all falls thru) welcome, Paul!

Question, Colin: Does VOGONS support all the same features as their old forum (or at least most of them)? Which ones doesn't it support? Did they even use those features? etc. etc.

More info requested... 😀

Stiletto

Reply 3 of 27, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, GliDOS's current forum is a mailing list, not a forum, so it works quite differently: you can't have posts sent to/from email: you can only have post alerts sent to email. Other than that, the features here are MUCH better. 😀

Regarding /....well, I know that I'd probably go above my 400GB/mo transfer limit, which would suck, but I'm not sure how the server would fare; it's specifically designed for web hosting, so I'd hope that it would do better than other more generic servers.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 4 of 27, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm sure people would be happy to donate...as long as they could be assured that their money goes to good use. 😉

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 27, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That was mean. How DARE you bump against things like that? Oh..wha? oh.

Aaaaaanyway, people have this nifty habit of NOT donating. It's nifty. It's also the reason Paul has that large rotating logo in GliDOS.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 7 of 27, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Retrogames.com mentioned VOGONS on Friday. SCUMMVM mentioned it on Thursday. Explains our recent surge of new members (hope it keeps up!)

Stiletto

Reply 9 of 27, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The thread I posted at Ars was revitalized. Woohoo! Don't look at me, I didn't do it! Was watching it steadily progress to the second page until Zathras revitalized it. Hopefully I can legitimately keep it on the front page by helping people fix their problems with games.... Muahahahhahah! 😉

Reply 11 of 27, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just make sure you get the "origin" story all straight. Hrmmm... Let's see.

Remember posting back and forth with everyone on Vlad's board.
Remember going back and forth with Snover about...err...something. Game? VDMSound? Anyway we started getting off-topic. Of course that happened all the time, because nobody was running an "old games on new systems" message board. I don't think Vlad had said anything (he rarely did) but I knew he didn't like getting pushed into a "support guy" position for stuff that had nothing to with what he was working on.

I had posted a "Does anyone know a "getting old games to work on new systems" message board which got pitifully few replies at first. Basically, nope, nope, nope, and how about Underdogs?
(I don't know why I didn't think of MobyGames, so I guess that must have happened in a parallel time-line).

Then Snover came in, jumping up and down and waving his hands in the air frantically. Nobody else had come close to that level of enthusiasm (actually I don't think anyone else even tried)
so some of said yes and that we'd be there to support it with our posts (such a huge effort compared to setting up the site and running it. Right Snover?) 😉

Just remember when the interviews start rolling in and we all become famous, I want end of the second-line or maybe third-line credit. Don't stick me with the "stage-assistant" coffee-maker guy, ok? ;P

Reply 12 of 27, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stiletto wrote:

Retrogames.com mentioned VOGONS on Friday. SCUMMVM mentioned it on Thursday. Explains our recent surge of new members (hope it keeps up!)

I dunno why SCUMMVM didn't email you other than one of their lead programmers has already made an appearance in our forums.

As for RetroGames, I'm basically an informal news poster there (I give 'em the heads-up on news items on their messageboards, which a poster then posts on the main page if they deem it worthy, etc.). I could have emailed one of the news posters directly, but I was waiting for interest to swing our way... now it seems it has. Great!

Stiletto

Reply 13 of 27, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just emailed: http://www.descent2.com/dorsola/d23dfx.htm and told 'em about GliDos.

Pretty sad. Descent2.com never having heard of GliDos. 🙁

Reply 14 of 27, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

La, la, la. I'm sooo special. 😉

Oh, and you're not the coffee boy -- just the 2nd assistant boom operator (you know, so my voice is LOUD AND BOOMING, like a god's) 😉

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 15 of 27, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Should we mention the site to that oh so archaic printed paper media call "Game Magazines". Dunno if we want that kind of attention or the users that come with it.....

Reply 16 of 27, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I really don't think that would be a good thing to have this site submitted to. Too many lamers subscribe to gaming magazines.

"COUNTERSTRIKE RULSS U SUX COCK GO FUCK YURSELF"

Too many morons for just one lowly Admin that knows how to use vBulletin to handle. Great career advancement opportunity for you kids that want to become Admins and know shit+1 about vBulletin administering, hehe 😉

Yes, it’s my fault.