VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Attached a screenshot of the filemanager PC-Shell for DOS.

"PC Shell (tm) DOS shell and disk utilities - Version 5.5 - Copyright (c) 1985-1989 Central Point Software, Inc."

It was a common view of my PC in the DOS era. Yet I had failed to run the program properly ever since FAT32. PC Shell can't startup if there is even one fat32 drive attached or something like that. So I disabled all harddisks in the BIOS and booted with floppy's only. Used PCXdump to make the screenshot.

PS: A good and up to date replacement I discovered lately: Graphic Vision File Manager for DOS: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gvision/gv/index.htm

Attachments

• pcshell55.gif
    Filename
    pcshell55.gif
    File size
    14.65 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by gerwin on 2007-06-28, 00:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 10, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You have Volkov Commander and such for this task under ms-dos. They are newer and have more features.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 10, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes I've read about volkov, but the thing is that I kinda got used to the drag and drop/ multiple windows of windows 9x. And I feel kinda crippled when having to manage files in any another way. So therefore GVFM is my personal favorite. (and it has more to offer than just the fancy screen)

a good file manager overview here:
http://short.stop.home.att.net/freesoft/fileman1.htm

Anyways, the reason I started this pcshell topic is just for nostalgia. I don't mind the program is useless now, but I wanted too see how it used to look on my screen.

Reply 6 of 10, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

PC Shell? Hah! I used Norton Commander. 😉

Ahh... Those were the days, huh? *wipes tears*

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 10 of 10, by flux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What about freegem?

Bernard: You have a machine whose sole function is producing toxic waste?
Dr. Fred: You can't have a high-tech laboratory like this and NOT spew poisonous filth! All the other mad scientists would laugh!