User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Who here has the WindowsXP DDK?

MB: ASRock B550 Steel Legend
CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X
RAM: Corsair 64GB Kit (4x16GB) DDR4 Veng LPX C18 4000MHz
SSDs: 2x Crucial MX500 1TB SATA + 1x Samsung 980 (non-pro) 1TB NVMe SSD
OSs: Win 11 Pro (NVMe) + WinXP Pro SP3 (SATA)
GPU: RTX2070 (11) GT730 (XP)

Reply 2 of 26, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh well i guess no one does...

would it be possible to program a DOS shell that allows for direct hardware access in win2000/XP?

Reply 3 of 26, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think that would require even more work, and it may not be feasable because you'd somehow have to get access to the hardware without stepping on Windows' toes...It's probably part of why DOSbox is a full emulator instead of just a hack to get access to the hardware - it's actually easier (although by no means easy) to emulate the hardware than to try to use tricks to get around Windows' abstraction layers.

It would be cool if someone were to make something like GliDOS for VESA though - make a VESA "driver" that actually is a wrapper that routes VESA calls to DirectX calls. I guess that might not work though because many games probably try to access the hardware directly in conjunction with using VESA, and also VESA may be too low-level to be able to be translated to DirectX.

Reply 4 of 26, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another question

I found my long lost copy of windows 98, but I already have windowsXP installed.
Is it possible to partition existing unused harddrive space to make a win98 partition or do I have to reformat

Reply 5 of 26, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You should be able to use a recent version of Partition Magic to shrink your WinXP partition and add a FAT32 partition. The trick is setting it up so you can choose which OS to boot. I know it can be done but I haven't ever had to set it up myself so I can't help.

Reply 6 of 26, by [vEX]

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Installing Windows 98 on another partition after installing Windows XP (or any other OS for that matter) will write a new MBR (master boot record) on your C drive. Thus you won't be able too boot XP, but I think that if you boot from the XP CD after that there is a repair command or something that could give you the multi-boot menu, if not just fix the MBR and tweak boot.ini manually.

Or try searching for at Microsofts site.

Antec P182B | Asus P8Z77-V PRO | Intel i5 3570k | 16GB DDR3 | 4TB HDD | Pioneer BDR-207D | Asus Xonar DX | Altec Lansing CS21 | Eizo EV2736W-BK | Arch Linux (64-bit/x86_64)

Reply 7 of 26, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Know any freeware parition utilities?
Partitionmagic wont let me partition with the demo version (piece of crap)

Reply 8 of 26, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Duffman I found my long lost copy of windows 98, but I already have windowsXP installed.
Is it possible to partition existing unused harddrive space to make a win98 partition or do I have to reformat

Ow.

It can be done, but there's room for a lot of potential errors.

It was discussed in this thread:
showthread.php?threadid=988

Even then, I made a goof about "active" drives, corrected later in the thread. If reading all that and manually editing a BOOT.INI file doesn't spook you, then it may be worth a shot.

Reply 9 of 26, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On the other hand, if you just want a second partition for DOS games, you can make a non-bootable FAT32 (DOS 7+) or FAT16 (DOS 6.2x and below) partition and boot DOS from a floppy disk. It will then read that partition as drive C: (and won't see your NTFS partition at all).

I booted Linux that way when I used to have it installed 😮

Reply 10 of 26, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I dont have to purchase partition magic 8 to make a new partition without reformating do I?

Do you know any other utilities that are similar to PM8?

Reply 11 of 26, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Waiting for a reply

Reply 13 of 26, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Duffman I dont have to purchase partition magic 8 to make a new partition without reformating do I?

well, you need something that can modify partitions without destroying the data within them. None of Windows' tools can do that.

Do you know any other utilities that are similar to PM8?

Well, "Partition Commander" also resizes/moves/etc... partitions, but I'm betting that you're looking for something free...

Reply 14 of 26, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by 3803 A combo of Presizer and Ranish (dos apps)http://www.zeleps.com http://www.ranish.com

These are good, but have their downsides...

Presizer can move/resize partitions if they are FAT32, but can only move NTFS partitions. I'm not sure if this is actually compatible the 5.1 (XP) version of NTFS. So if you already have a Gig or more free space (or you are already using FAT32), you could use these. Be warned however, the Ranish partition manager isn't for the timid.

Here's what I've found:
Paragon/7Tools Partition Manager Demo: No Resize
Ranish/Muthu Partition Manager: Experts only, No resize AFAIK
Acronis "Partition Expert" Demo: won't apply anychanges

Luckily it looks like BootItNG may do all you need (and it's a full-featured 30-Day trial version). I'm still testing however, and have yet to get a dual-boot using it (couple of lockups in "Virtual PC" and it seems to have "lost" the XP partition on my test setup).

Might want to hold off on this until I can come up with an alternate guide for use with BootItNG.

Reply 15 of 26, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Whoops. This was a minor indescretion on my part, asking for Windows 98 CD keys. I know that the administrator won't hold it against me, especially since they are Microsoft products, but it still wasn't very smart of me to ask, especially since there are plenty of other places (like Google) that I can find one of these with.

Reply 16 of 26, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Anyway, why does VirtualPC need to emulate some hardware, why can't it use your hardware or does it cause horrible hardware conflicts?

Reply 17 of 26, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

VirtualPC emulates the hardware for two reasons:
1. This allows it to run on other platforms such as the Macintosh
2. It creates a safe environment in which you don't have to worry about your real hardware being damaged by malicious software

Reply 18 of 26, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is there a way to get Direct3d/OpenGL to work? The S3 364 or whatever doesn't support it (well DirectX says it doesnt anyway)

Reply 19 of 26, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Haha yeah right...AFAIK the emulated video hardware is rather primitive - nowhere near good enough to support hardware 3D. Besides, you'd need a computer faster than anything that currently exists to emulate it at a usable speed.