VOGONS

Common searches

Who here has the WindowsXP DDK?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 26, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Connectix should make an addition to allow your existing hardware to be used with VPC (no emulation) if you want to use it. Also have the option to switch back to emulation.

Is that possible??

MB: ASRock B550 Steel Legend
CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X
RAM: Corsair 64GB Kit (4x16GB) DDR4 Veng LPX C18 4000MHz
SSDs: 2x Crucial MX500 1TB SATA + 1x Samsung 980 (non-pro) 1TB NVMe SSD
OSs: Win 11 Pro (NVMe) + WinXP Pro SP3 (SATA)
GPU: RTX2070 (11) GT730 (XP)

Reply 22 of 26, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Duffman I dont have to purchase partition magic 8 to make a new partition without reformating do I?

Just to let you know, I was able to successfully set up a dual-boot using BootItNG. Appears that the most important part is that the partition space you create at the "front" of the drive must not go past the "1024 Cylinder limit".

On my test rig, that was well past 8Gigs, so it should be good enough. Still not familiar enough with BootItNG to make a guide for it yet. Perhaps someone else is feeling adventurous?

In any case, partition manipulation is inherently risky.

Reply 23 of 26, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If I want to make a new partition out of unused space? Do I choose front end or back end?

MB: ASRock B550 Steel Legend
CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X
RAM: Corsair 64GB Kit (4x16GB) DDR4 Veng LPX C18 4000MHz
SSDs: 2x Crucial MX500 1TB SATA + 1x Samsung 980 (non-pro) 1TB NVMe SSD
OSs: Win 11 Pro (NVMe) + WinXP Pro SP3 (SATA)
GPU: RTX2070 (11) GT730 (XP)

Reply 24 of 26, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Duffman wrote:

Connectix should make an addition to allow your existing hardware to be used with VPC (no emulation) if you want to use it. Also have the option to switch back to emulation.

Is that possible??

What your asking for is easier said than done. Sharing hardware between 2 seperate OS's when the OS/Hardware wasn't designed to do so.......

The possibility of a video driver shim has been raised but it's nothing that Connetix will do since they sold the tech to M$.

Just search the Connetix forums....this has been answered MANY times over there.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 25 of 26, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Duffman If I want to make a new partition out of unused space? Do I choose front end or back end?

If you're planning on installing DOS or Win9x, it needs to be at the "front end". IOW, It needs to start on cylinder 0. XP is flexible, it works on just about any partition location I want on my drive. Win98 MUST be at the start of the drive. It has to boot as C:\

BTW, presuming you do this and succeed, you may encounter changing drive letters. Win98 will appear to be on C:\ when you are using it, but will appear as the next available letter when you're using XP, for example.

Also, before you do any of this, you might want to change your system "Profile" to that of a Laptop so the changes can't trigger activation. Admittedly, that's not likely...but better safe than sorry...

Reply 26 of 26, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by DosFreak Just search the Connetix forums....this has been answered MANY times over there.

Yeah, been there. Closest you could get is go buy an older PPC Mac with Voodoo card for video and an older Mac version of "Virtual PC".