Common searches

Engines, Remakes and Fan Games

Topic actions

First post, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Inspired by another thread, i thought i might try to start this topic. The idea is to have a list with all known engines/remakes. Please contribute if you know any program that's missing from the list!

To start this off, here's just a few entries off the top of my head. If i get some encouraging feedback and/or contributions, i might expand the list. (;

Definitions:
Engine - Software that uses data from an original game in order to recreate it. Source ports fall into this category, too.
Remake - Software that tries to faithfully recreate a game, without using the game's original data.
Fan Game - Fan-made Game that's based on an original game.

All programs are non-comercial.

Engines

Doomsday (Windows, Linux/Unix, Mac OS X)
Very sophisticated Doom/Doom 2/Heretic/Hexen engine.

# Hardware-accelerated 3D graphics (OpenGL and Direct3D) and sound effects (DirectSound3D). # 16-player multiplayer over LAN or […]
Show full quote

# Hardware-accelerated 3D graphics (OpenGL and Direct3D) and sound effects (DirectSound3D).
# 16-player multiplayer over LAN or the internet.
# Dynamic lighting and shadow effects.
# 3D models and particle effects.
# Dynamic light effects and lens flares.
# Simple shadows for objects.
# Support for high-resolution textures and detail textures.
# 3D skyboxes.
# Quake-style runtime console for modifying settings and giving commands.

Doom Legacy (Windows, Linux, Mac, OpenBSD, DOS, OS2, XBox)
Doom/Doom 2 engine which is quite faithful to the original.

# VIDEO OPTIONS MENU: Play DOOM in high resolutions! You can change video mode at any time from within the game. # 3DFX / OPENG […]
Show full quote

# VIDEO OPTIONS MENU: Play DOOM in high resolutions! You can change video mode at any time from within the game.
# 3DFX / OPENGL: Doom Legacy features an beta version of 3Dfx and OpenGL modes, which is quite playable as it is now, although not finished.
# TRANSLUCENCY ON SPRITES AND WALLS: Replaces the old 'partial invisibility' effect. A selection of objetcs are now translucent: monster missiles, most weapon shots, torches, fire, bullet puffs...
# SETUP CONTROLS MENU: Allows to set the keys/mouse/joystick buttons while in the game. The Controls have been greatly enhanced, allowing multiple keys per control (like Quake), attach any action to any key/button and supports extended keys like Win95 keys (now they'll be useful).
# LOOK UP AND DOWN (FREELOOK): Mouse look (using the mouse), set mouse look sensitivity, 'Invert mouse' and 'Always mouselook' toggles.
# CHASE-CAM: Also called a 'third-person' view, or 'Tomb Raider' view.
# 32 PLAYERS: Deathmatch, using a basic Client/Server model, during a multiplayer game, only the server is allowed to change game parameters.
# CONSOLE: We felt a Console like in Quake, was a really good addition to the game, because it allows to customise much more to your needs, and allows to setup nearly every in-game parameter at any time during the game. The console background displays as either a translucent-green background (lcd-like), or a picture.
# KEY BINDINGS: Key bindings like in Quake, for advanced users.
# STATUS BAR OVERLAY: See just the vital information like Ammo, Health, Frags, ect. You will feel more involved in the game by playing in fullscreen without the status bar.
# MULTIPLAYER MENU: Allows to choose your preferred color from 11 available (4 originals + 7 new ones) and enter your name.
# SKINS: Choose your appearance for deathmatches, this adds a load of fun to multiplayer games!
# TEAMPLAY AND TEAMSKIN MODES: Play by teams idnetified by colour, or by skin!
# SPLIT-SCREEN MODE: Have a deathmatch with a friend on one single computer!
# DEATHMATCH RANKINGS which shows the player names, their color and their frags, pops up like in Quake's TAB key during deathmatches. Of course you can change your color at any time while playing a net game (your name too)!
# DEHACKED PATCHES SUPPORT using cmd-line option.
# AUTOAIM TOGGLE: Choose either the enhanced ''autoaiming', or switch it off, and you're in total control of yer gun!
# 3 CROSSHAIRS: Greatly helps for when using manual aiming, and freelook. Choose from 3 crosshairs available like in Quake2: a cross, a triangle and a point.
# JUMP: Once you've tried it you'll see that jumping doesn't lessen in any way the gameplay of DOOM and only adds some more fun to the game.
# WALK OVER AND UNDER THINGS: With the improved collision checks you can now jump over yer buddies, walk under the flying cacodemons, and walk on top of things.
# ENHANCED DEMOS: Now records the messages, changes of color, name, options like Autoaim and so on... a little compression is used which makes the demos about 50% shorter.
# REMAP YOUR WEAPON KEYS: Shortcut weapons to any key.
# IMPROVED JOYSTICK SUPPORT: We support up to 10 buttons joystick so you can make use of the 'hat' to free look, for example.

Remakes
None yet...

Fan Games
Hurrican (Windows)
A game based on the "Turrican" game series. Five years in the making, and it shows - great graphics, sound and gameplay. If you are a Turrican or (Classic) Metroid fanatic, this game is a must-have.

Reply 2 of 36, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the links! Any more?! Gimme games!!! (;

On a second thought, i realized that it's probably too confusing to include all the programs in a single post. The solution would be to either create seperate posts, or include all programs in an external document, like an excel sheet. I'm gonna probably do that for my own collection, anyway.

Reply 6 of 36, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I'm part of two engine Projects:
Exult - engine for the games Ultima 7 Part 1+2 http://exult.sf.net
This engine also aims at being able to make your own games and add to the existing games. The latter works ok. Ultima 7 can be played almost bug free with many enhancements.

Pentagram - an engine for the games Ultima 8, Crusader - No Remorse/Regret.
Ultima 8 works great already, the engine is still not very polished. The Crusader games do not work yet.
I'm supposed to work on the documentation for both engines 😀

And then there is ScummVM. http://scummvm.sf.net
Does it need an introduction? 😀
(I'm not part of that project 😀)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 36, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A couple I have played are
Dungeon Master - Return to Chaos http://ragingmole.com/RTC/
A remake of Dungeon Master/Chaos Strikes back, the predecessor to games such as Eye of the Beholder

Remake of Ultima IV http://xu4.sourceforge.net/

Reply 9 of 36, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

While on the subject of Ultima, there is also
Nuvie (New Ultima VI Engine) at http://nuvie.sf.net
or UWADV - Underworld Adventures, a new engine for Ultima Underworld. Unfortunately now no longer in development, partly the fault of Dosbox since the emulation is now so good 🙁
http://uwadv.sf.net

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 10 of 36, by njaydg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote:

...or UWADV - Underworld Adventures, a new engine for Ultima Underworld. Unfortunately now no longer in development, partly the fault of Dosbox since the emulation is now so good 🙁
http://uwadv.sf.net

Don't even tell me about it...! I was constantly checking the site for news and updates, and the last time I checked was in the very same day the guy posted the bad news. It's a pitty, as that engine was really nice and fluid!

Oh well, DOSBox to the rescue... 😀

Reply 11 of 36, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

to the rescue or the downfall 😀
Seriously I think Vividos, was just to swarmed with real life to continue the project and the only other guy who really worked on it with him soon left and never came back. I'd really have loved it to have an enhancements similar to what Exult did to U7 🙁

Reply 12 of 36, by njaydg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know what you mean, Dominus... 😀

Real life can take unexpected turns, everyone knows that. But obviously I would have enjoyed much more playing (and finishing once more!) Ultima Underworld and UW2 on that engine.

Quite some time ago,when I was looking for ports/remakes for Ultima games (Ultima 8, UW1 and UW2), I stubled across this :

http://reconstruction.voyd.net/

Besides Underworld Adventures, project Lazarus (for Dungeon Siege) also caught my attention! Anyway, for info about any Ultima remakes, it's very nice!

Reply 14 of 36, by SysGOD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

every frontier: first encounter fan (with directx 9 hardware) should try kolijoco's replacement engine glFFE.

glFFE is the "next generation" FFE replacement executable.

Frontier: First Encounters - is David Braben and Frontier Development's last Elite game published back when dos and mcga ruled the desktops. The original game does not run on modern operating systems. glFFE is based on John Jordan's JJFFE recompilation and is optionally supplemented with Anisotropic's gameplay balance mod. This replacment executable uses opengl for rasterizing. It should scale nicely to any OpenGL resolution (windowed or fullscreen). It supports music (custom ogg and mp3 as well as original the midis), and features an engine to customize the cockpit console.

the engine is final (v1.0) and uses opengl glsl (no interpolated 320x200 resolutions any more). forced antialiasing modes works also but the best thing is, you can use replacement graphics to give the GUI a new look.

sysprofile.png

Reply 17 of 36, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

settlers II 10th anniversary... it tries to recreat the original game without the original game data or maps... tho you can import the original maps.

this game aint freeware tho.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 19 of 36, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wings of Fury remakes homesite here

http://www.bytethebullet.tk/

and you can download the game from here.

http://www.chip.de/downloads/c1_downloads_16495011.html