Topic actions

Reply 380 of 1951, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Enhanced Mac Version?

Do they run in a higher res?

Return to Zork has a better looking Mac version but the music was kind of terrible.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 381 of 1951, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DonutKing wrote:

Enhanced Mac Version?

Do they run in a higher res?

Don't know, but I doubt it.

I mainly wanted the boxes and manuals, since I already have the loose disks.

Edit: Just found this from one of the guys at Telltale:

The Mac version didn't have "enhanced music" other than it used some low fi instrument samples for the MIDI instead of just the bleeps and tones that a SoundBlaster could do on the PC using fm synth. If you use ScummVM on a Mac, you can get an approximation of the old Mac version's music by setting ScummVM's audio driver to "CoreAudio," which will use the QuickTime Musical Instruments midi sample set instead of bleeps and tones, which are similar to the instruments the old Mac version shipped with.

The real reason the Mac version was labeled as "Enhanced" was because it ran at 640x400 with a graphics smoothing routine, instead of 320x200 blocky pixels. ScummVM can approximate that smoothing routine as well, on any platform, if you set the graphics mode to AdvMAME2x.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 383 of 1951, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you have the sam and max hint book?
When I bought the game as a wee lad from Harvey Norman after saving my pocket money for about 6 months, I had a few bob left over which I used to buy the hint book. Turns out the copy I got included the hint book. So I've always had 2 hint books and can give one away if you want it.

Last edited by DonutKing on 2013-04-19, 04:58. Edited 1 time in total.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 384 of 1951, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

now THOSE are games that you would leave sealed in the package. very nice! How much?

More than I wanted to pay... $90 AUD delivered.

And I'm going to have to take the shrinkwrap off... or they won't fit on my shelf!! They are shrinkwrapped together side-by-side.

DonutKing wrote:

Do you have the sam and max hint book?
When I bought the game as a wee lad from Harvey Norman after saving my pocket money for about 6 months, I had a few bob left over which I used to buy the hint book. Turns out the copy I got included the hint book. So I've always had 2 hint books and can give one away if you want it.

The hint book is in there for both games. But thanks for the offer! 😀

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 385 of 1951, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's mine, brand new I already opened. Got it 3 days ago.

20130418131706519.jpg

I can't figure out how to make General MIDI work with this game, tried with two different computers and different sound cards (Tbeach) and I only get opl3 synthesis.

Any ideas? searched on the remains of lucasarts forum and this is a known issue but nobody apparently solved it.

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 386 of 1951, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vmunix wrote:

Any ideas? searched on the remains of lucasarts forum and this is a known issue but nobody apparently solved it.[/b]

Wow never heard of this. What machine are you using? What Operating system? Though this might be better posted in another forum section...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 388 of 1951, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
vmunix wrote:

Any ideas? searched on the remains of lucasarts forum and this is a known issue but nobody apparently solved it.[/b]

Wow never heard of this. What machine are you using? What Operating system? Though this might be better posted in another forum section...

Which section is for troubleshooting real mode DOS and games ? 😕

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 389 of 1951, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vmunix wrote:

Which section is for troubleshooting real mode DOS and games ? 😕

Open a new thread under the Marvin section!

Give us plenty of details. What OS? What other hardware? What Sound Cards. That kind of information 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 391 of 1951, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@mystery:

nice to see the different boxes for Clouds and Darkside of Xeen 😀
I like your German versions more than my US ones, mine are also of non-standard size, quite larger than normal boxes...

th_CIMG1789_resize.jpg

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 392 of 1951, by Mystery

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wish they had kept the design of the first two game boxes.
MM1&2 looked really nice. I hate it when they constantly change the box design.

1+2 are the same, 3-5 are the same and after that each game looks completely different.

But I guess almost every series does that, except for SSI's gold box games.

::42::

Reply 394 of 1951, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Planescape Torment from GoG. 😀

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 395 of 1951, by Mystery

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

bjt: I really like the game, but not because it's such an excellent shooter 😉
I have a real soft spot for early 2.5D (raycasting) shooters and Tekwar uses an earlier version of the Build engine, made famous later by Duke3D. It's also got a very unique look and I like that they tried to make "more" than just a plain shooter out of it.

And come on, an FPS based on a story written by William Shatner, starring William Shatner in the cutscenes? What's not to love? 😉

::42::

Reply 397 of 1951, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought these rubbish games today

Picked the box just because its Gillian Anderson voice in this game !!!

p1020109cv.jpg
p1020108v.jpg

Have any of you really played any of these?

p1020112g.jpg
p1020113ld.th.jpg

I don't dare to open them

Last edited by vmunix on 2013-05-19, 23:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 398 of 1951, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Never played Urban Assault, but Eradicator is a great and very little known game. It uses an engine that is very similar to BUILD (it might be the Build engine but I'm not entirely sure) and has a sleuth of unique weapons.
I'd say give it a try. Hellbender is also a classic Win95 game 😁.

Reply 399 of 1951, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I played Urban Assault back in the days since it was bundled with my Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Joystick. It's an average game. It is a tank shooter where you defend or attack objectives. Pretty simple gameplay.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes