Bought these games today

Topic actions

Reply 1080 of 1913, by stoof

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just picked this up:
Darwinia.JPG
Seems like an interesting game from a cool indie studio. I remember being intrigued when it came out, and noticing that it was one of very few commercial games with a native Linux port at the time.
Internet told me that the Win release would have the Linux port included, but that does not seem to be the case here. I was kinda looking forward to that. 🙁

Anyways, it cost me all of 5 SEK (=~0.5 EUR/USD), local pickup, so not much lost. 😀

Reply 1081 of 1913, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stoof wrote:
Just picked this up: http://stoof.sdf.org/images/vogons/Darwinia.JPG Seems like an interesting game from a cool indie studio. I […]
Show full quote

Just picked this up:
Darwinia.JPG
Seems like an interesting game from a cool indie studio. I remember being intrigued when it came out, and noticing that it was one of very few commercial games with a native Linux port at the time.
Internet told me that the Win release would have the Linux port included, but that does not seem to be the case here. I was kinda looking forward to that. 🙁

Anyways, it cost me all of 5 SEK (=~0.5 EUR/USD), local pickup, so not much lost. 😀

Looks interesting. How does it play?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 1082 of 1913, by stoof

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Like so many other things, I haven't gotten to it yet.
But according to the internet, it's a kind of RTS where you play as the administrator of a computer simulated world. The virtual inhabitants are attacked and you get to help them. Something like that. What piqued my interest was the stylized abstract graphics and overall uniqueness.

Reply 1084 of 1913, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stoof wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Like so many other things, I haven't gotten to it yet.
But according to the internet, it's a kind of RTS where you play as the administrator of a computer simulated world. The virtual inhabitants are attacked and you get to help them. Something like that. What piqued my interest was the stylized abstract graphics and overall uniqueness.

Ah I see. I didn't think it's an RTS though, the stylized abstract graphics makes me think it's a more sophisticated version of SimLife.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 1085 of 1913, by Guldy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,

I'm a humble collector and I've got a long way ahead of me - in terms of collecting (20+ years of gaming experience).

I've been browsing and searching throughout Ebay nad Google (in case it was my fault I couldn't find it) and it seems that what I'm looking for is really rare or I need to be lucky and wait a couple of months or years for someone to bother selling it.

So I want to ask, since I saw people here possess or might have those items, do you by any chance want to sell or know where to get:

- Stunts (Broderbund 1990)
saw numerous boxes, needs to be the one with two cars

- Street-Rod 1 (California Dreams 1989)

Both need to be in big original boxes and for dos/95/pc.
(I know there's more than that - amiga, c64 etc.)

Thanks

I look forward to every reply, such as a recollection of memories.. (I'm not holding my breath).

With regards
Guldy

Reply 1086 of 1913, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yo Guldy this isn't a sale / trade site, so offering to buy peoples stuff with your first post isn't just rude, it's against the rules.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 1087 of 1913, by Guldy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
badmojo wrote:

Yo Guldy this isn't a sale / trade site, so offering to buy peoples stuff with your first post isn't just rude, it's against the rules.

To be honest I was expecting a serious answer. Or no answer.

Asking a question can't be against the rules. I can rewrite it to something else like "omg where did u get this, can't find it anywhere..' the point stays the same. Looks to me that you are oversensitive. I don't take this site to be any kind of a trade site. I just tried to find an answer to my problem, I even INTRODUCED myself (you say it's my first post..) and that's it.

If you find it rude, can't really help you, sorry.

If you are an administrator and don't like a simple comment I made, then delete the post, I don't have a problem with that.

Thank you and have a good day

Reply 1088 of 1913, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Both of these games are pretty rare these days, but as you can see they have been recently sold on eBay. It's all about timing and how much you're willing to pay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-MS-DOS-Stunts-by … =p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-MS-DOS-Stunts-by … =p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1989-Street-R … =p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Street-Rod-Calif … =p2047675.l2557

Reply 1092 of 1913, by Doggy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got these bad boys only for 20p !!
AxNiAd4.jpg

DOS 6.22 / WIN 3.1 - 386 DX40 16MB RAM ET4000 ESS 1868F
DOS Machine - AMD-K6/300AFR 64MB RAM CL-GD5446BV SB16 CT2770
3DFX WIN98 PC - P600 Mhz 128MB RAM Voodoo 3 2000 16MB Audigy 2 Zs
XP Machine - Gigabyte P35-DS3L -E8400 2GB RAM 8600 GT

Reply 1093 of 1913, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Box is a little beat up, but the manual, maps, booklets and other stuff is all in there 😎

P_20170427_193054.jpg
Filename
P_20170427_193054.jpg
File size
1.67 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 1094 of 1913, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Guldy wrote:
To be honest I was expecting a serious answer. Or no answer. […]
Show full quote

To be honest I was expecting a serious answer. Or no answer.

Asking a question can't be against the rules. I can rewrite it to something else like "omg where did u get this, can't find it anywhere..' the point stays the same. Looks to me that you are oversensitive. I don't take this site to be any kind of a trade site. I just tried to find an answer to my problem, I even INTRODUCED myself (you say it's my first post..) and that's it.

If you find it rude, can't really help you, sorry.

If you are an administrator and don't like a simple comment I made, then delete the post, I don't have a problem with that.

Thank you and have a good day

Asking where you might be able to find a copy is fine. We have at least two threads dedicated to posting eBay trades (one for serious trades, one for crazy pricing) in case someone is interested, but you can't post your own stuff there. You can even do business with other forum members, but the mods want it conducted in such a way that it doesn't spill over into their lap if something goes wrong.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 1095 of 1913, by Guldy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, this is my first batch and more is coming. I already had some of them like 15 years ago but managed to lose them during various move ins.

Regarding the NFS box. I'm posting this photo because I want to share my thoughts about sealed boxes. The question is, can they be fake? I've started seeing more and more sealed boxes in a great condition, yet they have to be 20 years old. How is it possible? I know most of those guys are resellers, but still. What are the chances they can't be fake?

Attachments

• 1ebay.png
    Filename
    1ebay.png
    File size
    2.36 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • ebay2.png
    Filename
    ebay2.png
    File size
    756.56 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1096 of 1913, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Guldy wrote:

So, this is my first batch and more is coming. I already had some of them like 15 years ago but managed to lose them during various move ins.

Regarding the NFS box. I'm posting this photo because I want to share my thoughts about sealed boxes. The question is, can they be fake? I've started seeing more and more sealed boxes in a great condition, yet they have to be 20 years old. How is it possible? I know most of those guys are resellers, but still. What are the chances they can't be fake?

One sure fire way to find out 🤣

But seriously, if the cardboard box is in as good condition as your NFSII then it's likely to be original, a re-sealed version will probably have some crushing at the corners that doesn't match creases in the wrap, or probably wear on the top flap. There are other ways to tell, IIRC some factory sealed games have a little breather hole in the shrinkwrap, which a cheapskate scammer might not replicate. As to finding stuff new after 20 years they could still be NOS from a closing down sale, left forgotten in a warehouse, or someone's house etc. I bought the Collector's Edition of Baldur's Gate II when it came out in 2000, and still have it sealed, for example, so there could be items in a collection that come up for sale in preserved condition.

On recent sealed purchases, I bought a NOS Falcon 3.0, and opened it. It was only the CD version, so it was crazy light, which made me suspicious - inside was just the jewel case with flimsy insert. Bit disappointing really, so will have to get the floppy version with the manuals, etc. Then the mission packs 😉

Favourite recent purchase was Robot Odyssey. Pretty tough game from what I've read, and was tricky to track down too! Likely to take me forever to complete...

IMG_7810.JPG
Filename
IMG_7810.JPG
File size
1.9 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 1097 of 1913, by Synthoridity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Finally got a physical copy of the full registered version of Quake 1 (v1.06) (Digipak release with manual). It was under AU $20 (including shipping). The left spine is worn out a bit, but the new copies of this I've seen cost more than AU $60 (including shipping). 😵

The manual and disc are in very good condition. A big box version was also available, for AU $29 total, but it's a budget range re-release which I'm not really interested in.

quake%20digipak%20640x480.JPG

Reply 1098 of 1913, by stoof

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not much activity in this thread compared to the hardware equivalent...

Here's my latest addition:
Planescape.jpg

Everyone and their uncle keeps saying this is such a great game. Now I can find out for myself. Sometime. 😀
No box or manual, but for <5 EUR shipped, it's worth it for not having to resort to piracy.

Reply 1099 of 1913, by Synthoridity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unopened copy of the big box release of Carnivores (US version, 1998) arrived. 😀 The Classic Game Series label on the cover is a sticker. The box has a few minor blemishes from age, but is otherwise in new condition. It was a bit more expensive than the DVD case re-release, but it looks a lot cooler, especially with that embossed cover.

carnivores%20pc%20big%20box%20%28us%20version%29.jpg

Here's a picture of the box's contents:

carnivores%20pc%20big%20box%20%28us%20version%29%20contents%20700x540.jpg

And here's the registration card that was also inside in the box:

carnivores%20pc%20big%20box%20%28us%20version%29%20-%20registration%20card%20front.jpg

carnivores%20pc%20big%20box%20%28us%20version%29%20-%20registration%20card%20back.jpg

The CD sleeve and manual were stored in that cardboard contraption face thingy part on the right (the sleeve was stored in between the center pages of the manual). The cardboard insert was packaged in the box with the insert's sleeve-holder side on the same side as the box's back cover (i.e., the insert's spine is at the left hand side of the box's front cover).

This particular release of the game doesn't come with a jewel case.

Edit: Here's Carnivores 2! - Re: Bought these games today

Last edited by Synthoridity on 2017-09-05, 09:40. Edited 6 times in total.