Common searches

Bought these games today

Topic actions

Reply 1100 of 1908, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought Elder Scrolls: Morrowind off of GOG, was on sale for under 4 bucks.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 1101 of 1908, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm going to be picking up Battlespire and Redguard myself.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 1102 of 1908, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

77€ shipped. Hard to find anything interesting with affordable prices these days. 😵

Attachments

• gaymz.jpg
    Filename
    gaymz.jpg
    File size
    214.11 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1103 of 1908, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

GOG is having a big summer sale. I was really tempted to spend ~$50 and get every wishlist item that's marked down, but I ended up picking just the two that I wanted most:
Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition
Lords of Xulima Deluxe Edition

GOG then proceeded to send me a free code for Rebel Galaxy, which I never even heard of.

Reply 1104 of 1908, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:
GOG is having a big summer sale. I was really tempted to spend ~$50 and get every wishlist item that's marked down, but I ended […]
Show full quote

GOG is having a big summer sale. I was really tempted to spend ~$50 and get every wishlist item that's marked down, but I ended up picking just the two that I wanted most:

GOG then proceeded to send me a free code for Rebel Galaxy, which I never even heard of.

Any good action RPG to reccomend?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 1105 of 1908, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
clueless1 wrote:
GOG is having a big summer sale. I was really tempted to spend ~$50 and get every wishlist item that's marked down, but I ended […]
Show full quote

Any good action RPG to reccomend?

Legend of Grimrock I and II. Kind of like a modern version of EOB, with excellent graphics and sound. No in-game music though. They are not too long either, maybe 20-30 hrs at the most.

Reply 1106 of 1908, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:

Legend of Grimrock I and II. Kind of like a modern version of EOB, with excellent graphics and sound. No in-game music though. They are not too long either, maybe 20-30 hrs at the most.

Umm... I'm actually looking for something more like Dungeon Siege or Diablo, where you can see your character in action, instead of viewing it in first-person perspective. But thanks anyway.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 1107 of 1908, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
clueless1 wrote:

Umm... I'm actually looking for something more like Dungeon Siege or Diablo, where you can see your character in action, instead of viewing it in first-person perspective. But thanks anyway.

Ahh. I understood action RPG as an RPG with real-time combat. Well, how about Divinity: Original Sin?

Reply 1108 of 1908, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:

Well, how about Divinity: Original Sin?

Sounds good, thanks!

clueless1 wrote:

Ahh. I understood action RPG as an RPG with real-time combat.

Well technically EoB falls into action RPG, since the combat is real time, isn't it? (Can't quite recall). I just happen to prefer top-down or isometric perspective.

Reply 1109 of 1908, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I've bought Zombie Shooter instead; a mindless, almost Diablo-like action game with RPG elements. Suits me well since I've been very busy and tired to play full-fledged RPG. A very nice game, I must say. The atmosphere is genuinely creepy, the action is furious, and the controls are excellent. The only problem with this game is you cannot save!

HETnLYR.jpg

Reply 1110 of 1908, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can't save?? Is it like an arcade game, where you put a coin in and play til you die, then stick another coin in and start over? 🤣. Just from the screenshot, it reminds me of Crusader: No Remorse or Fallout.

Reply 1111 of 1908, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:

Can't save?? Is it like an arcade game, where you put a coin in and play til you die, then stick another coin in and start over? 🤣. Just from the screenshot, it reminds me of Crusader: No Remorse or Fallout.

I don't know, I haven't died yet. The game auto-save whenever you finish a level. Next time you run the game, you just need to click continue to start from your latest level.

It has certain RPG elements though; you collect gold to boost up your weapons, and you get skill points to spend.

Reply 1112 of 1908, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah, save points. I thought the game could not be saved at all: either you win in one play through, or you start over. I seem to remember that being the case with some early games on my Apple II. Maybe Temple of Apshai? And I remember just leaving my computer on with the game running for days at a time as a workaround. 🤣

Reply 1113 of 1908, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:

Ah, save points. I thought the game could not be saved at all: either you win in one play through, or you start over.

Are there still such games these days?

clueless1 wrote:

I seem to remember that being the case with some early games on my Apple II. Maybe Temple of Apshai? And I remember just leaving my computer on with the game running for days at a time as a workaround. 🤣

I remember; the last time I play such games were Altered Beast and Golden Axe back in 1992 (both are PC version). Fortunately now we have DOSBOX fork with save state feature.

However, Ikari III is still very difficult to play, even with DOSBOX save state.

Reply 1114 of 1908, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got a few goodies at a couple of second-hand shops today:

mac01.jpg
Filename
mac01.jpg
File size
254.19 KiB
Views
File license

Mac games! I dug my G4 cube out and figured I'd feed it some stuff. All for MacOS Classic. Quest for Glory is actually a soundtrack(!) but it also contains game demos for Win9x & OS8/9. Prince of Persia 2 is also Win+Mac (not DOS apparently.) Unreal is the very first 1.00 version, which is neat as I only had the Gold pack otherwise. (Prince 2008 isn't a Mac game but it runs fine on my Macbook under WINE, so too bad. 😜)

"Sinkha" is the interesting story - it's one of those experimental '90s multimedia novels and finding it was a complete bizarre coincidence. Last night I was browsing the CGW museum and came across an advert for it. It caught my eye because I liked the art and I'd literally never heard of it before, which is unusual. Now normally I'd just go download something like that if it looked interesting, but this one's not been uploaded anywhere and is actually still being sold on its original, very '90s looking website. (Turns out it's the first in a series even!) How the hell many copies of that could still be around?? I filed it away in my mind figuring I'd never play it & soon forget about it.

Well, the NEXT DAY (i.e. today) I walk into the only game shop in town that still gets in old PC stuff and holy shit, there it was! Naturally I grabbed it.

Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 1.51.46 am.png
Filename
Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 1.51.46 am.png
File size
460.91 KiB
Views
File license

It's kind of what you'd expect. The animations & modelling are pretty good for 1995 (actually started development in 1991!) and it has some cool music/sound design too. It's a shame it's all 640x480 but what can you do. Someone put a hell of a lot of work into this thing. I really like these experiments in storytelling from the multimedia boom era.

mac02.jpg
Filename
mac02.jpg
File size
298.11 KiB
Views
File license

^^ I also grabbed two new-looking chrome tapes & one metal one at another shop. You DO NOT FIND metal cassettes in the wild anymore, so that was a score. No idea what's (if anything) on them yet.

mac03.jpg
Filename
mac03.jpg
File size
219.71 KiB
Views
File license

Managed to get Unreal going on the Cube, was running great in 1024x768 in full detail. It's a 450MHz G4 with an AGP Rage 128 Pro and it ran completely smooth. Unfortunately the Cube uses stupid one-off USB speakers which I don't have, so no sound.

Also bought the little TV/monitor at the same shop as the tapes. It immediately started annoying me with its shoddy HDMI implementation. VGA works fine though.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1115 of 1908, by Synthoridity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The most recent things I got (not all from one day, but from 2 months ago up to the present). Some budget titles ("Essential Collection" releases with teal borders) and other stuff:

17-06-18 - games.jpg
Filename
17-06-18 - games.jpg
File size
703.84 KiB
Views
File license

- Quake II. I got this as a replacement, since the disc from my original copy of Quake II (also an Essential Collection release) broke in a disc drive. This one has a large OFLC thing on the cover, and the spine says "QUAKE 2". I still have the cover insert from my original EC copy; it has a small OFLC thing on the cover, and the spine instead says "QUAKE II". Also, the small-OFLC version has additional "E-REG for Australian Customers" information printed on the reverse of the insert, while the large-OFLC version only contains the installation guide.

I have also seen a small-OFLC EC version of Quake II that has "PC CD-ROM WIN 95" printed below the OFLC icon. Also, there are at least two different "full-cover" keep case releases (i.e., the cover art does not have the Essential Collection border) with very large OFLC icons, one of which has a shorter installation guide that strangely does not mention the language setting error message that the other releases mention.

Others probably don't care about those little details, but they are somewhat interesting to me. 🤣

- DOOM II for Windows 95. This is the 2001 re-release, which was packaged in a jewel case in the US, and in a keep case in the Asia-Pacific region.

- Wolfenstein 3D. This is the 2001 re-release of the 1998 compilation. The 2001 release is infamous for missing Spear of Destiny, despite the packaging still claiming the game is included. Spear of Destiny is not advertised on the cover of the Asia-Pacific version, but it is still mentioned on the rear and in the installation guide.

- Final DOOM jewel case and manual (no box). This is from the Platinum PC budget range. The disc contains both the DOS and Windows 95 versions of Final DOOM. The jewel case has a black replacement tray (Platinum PC releases originally have transparent jewel case trays).

- Quake II jewel case (no box or manual). Another Quake II disc, in case the other one gets damaged somehow. This one is from the Australian big box release. The big box itself is unfortunately hard to find cheap.

- Quake II for PlayStation. PAL version with manual (no cover insert).

- Another Quake II for PlayStation. NTSC-U/C version, complete with manual and unused registration card.

Reply 1116 of 1908, by Synthoridity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got a new (meaning previously still unopened), sealed big box release of Quake for a total of AU $12 (and yes, I decided to open it. I'm always curious about box contents). 🤣

The OFLC icon is printed on the cover of the box, as opposed to being a sticker stuck on. This particular release does not come with a Digipak or jewel case; the disc is instead packaged in a paper sleeve. The disc contains "Shareware Version 1.01" and "International Registered Version 1.01".

quake au big box sealed.JPG
Filename
quake au big box sealed.JPG
File size
51.48 KiB
Views
File license
quake au big box unboxing 1.JPG
Filename
quake au big box unboxing 1.JPG
File size
43.28 KiB
Views
File license
quake au big box unboxing 2.JPG
Filename
quake au big box unboxing 2.JPG
File size
283.77 KiB
Views
File license
quake au big box unboxing 3.jpg
Filename
quake au big box unboxing 3.jpg
File size
818.8 KiB
Views
File license
quake au big box opened (shrink wrap still on box).JPG
Filename
quake au big box opened (shrink wrap still on box).JPG
File size
139.36 KiB
Views
File license

Edit: I added photos of the rear of the box to show the barcode information for this specific release of the game.

Rear: https://www.dropbox.com/s/68oq87fz2u0mo7d/qua … 20rear.JPG?dl=0
Barcode: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u2w7unz8h5skmr1/qua … arcode.JPG?dl=0

Last edited by Synthoridity on 2017-07-23, 11:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1117 of 1908, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got a mini-cardboard box version of Baldur's Gate & Sword Coast, X-Wing Collector's CD-ROM (Jewel Case only) and something I was hunting for a bit now, a boxed copy of Freespace Battle Pack (Freespace 1 and expansion). I'll post photos when they arrive 😀

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1118 of 1908, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xjas wrote:

Quest for Glory is actually a soundtrack(!)

Wait, you mean there is Quest for Glory soundtrack CD?

Do let me know if you want to sell the CD.

Reply 1119 of 1908, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been waiting forever for the Realms of Arkania trilogy to go on sale at GOG. Today I noticed that Steam has them on sale for $2.49 for the entire trilogy, so I bought it there instead. After unpacking, I see GOG files and references in the folders. 🤣.