Common searches

Bought these games today

Topic actions

Reply 1320 of 1908, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was in UK for a business trip, happy to report I am not returning empty handed:

Game_Death_Knights_I-_War.jpg

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1321 of 1908, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Me + boredom + sale at amazing local game shop = this happened.

cheapps2.jpg
Filename
cheapps2.jpg
File size
305.12 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

To be honest, TimeSplitters is a bit of a disappointment, I thought it was gonna be a story-driven adventure FPS but it seems to be mostly geared towards multiplayer / botmatch. Maybe I had one of the sequels in mind. There are 'story' missions but they're all of the form 'find this McGuffin and bring it to this random spot on the map', and they don't combine at all to make a coherent story, so I'd call that a misnomer. The controls on the PS2 analog sticks are way oversensitive and aiming is extremely twitchy, enemies respawn and there isn't enough health. Blah.

Wipeout Fusion, on the other hand, is exactly what I was hoping for. Great design, awesome tunes, and it plays exactly how a Wipeout game should. Seeing as I'm a bit of a Wipeout (& clones) nut, when I finally found this one I wasn't gonna say no. 😜

PS2 games are so dirt cheap right now it's kind of absurd, ditto for original Xbox. Total value kings in the console world.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1322 of 1908, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Every time I swear I'm getting out of boxed PC games, I find something like this.

good morning mr freeman.jpg
Filename
good morning mr freeman.jpg
File size
339.1 KiB
Views
File license

That said, it's a small box so it still fits nicely with the DVD-case games I've been trying to stick to. It's the original GOTY edition with the fold-out front cover. The CD & manual are pristine and the box closing flap isn't even torn. Somebody took care of this.

Blue Shift is actually a CD-R with an inkjet-printed insert, and I don't think it was originally included with this copy. I just love the fact they went to the trouble.

Five bucks well spent.

I also found a $120+ Shure microphone for $6.99 and a Tascam USB audio/MIDI interface for $12.99 at the same thrift shop, so pretty glad I stopped in.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1323 of 1908, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Seems I'm the only one buying games lately. 😜 I snagged Puzzle Agent 1 & 2 on sale from GOG. No box pic for obvious reasons.

This actually involved a pretty annoying FU from GOG. The games were supposed to be a gift for someone, but apparently my account is still too "noob" to buy gifts for people using Paypal or a credit card. But hey! Gifting functionality could be unlocked in two to three months if I make a $10 USD purchase for myself! Well, no, the recipient's birthday's tomorrow, so that's not gonna work. Or I could go make a payment account on one of two dodgy-ass sounding alternate pay processors I've never heard of, one of which is based out of freaking Moscow, and buy a gift straight away using one of them. Uh, yeaNAW. Despite me having had a GOG account for at least two years, and having several games worth more than that $10 threshold in my library, apparently I never bought anything expensive enough directly through GOG's site itself, so I'm stuffed. I know they've had some problems with scammy re-sellers lately, but they really could have thought of a better solution than this.

I was annoyed enough that I damn well nearly went to Humble or Steam, but GOG had both games on sale at less than a third the price of the others, so I ended up just buying them for myself and will be presenting them to the recipient on a USB stick. Is that the 'proper', legal way to 'transfer the license'? I don't know, and I don't care.

Incidentally the total was under $10 so I still won't be allowed to buy gifts on GOG. 😠 Will certainly remember that for next time...

Reply 1324 of 1908, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xjas wrote:

Seems I'm the only one buying games lately. 😜

No, you're not the only one. I'm just lazy at posting. Picked up Bioforge on GOG for a $1.49. Loved that game back when it was released. Under $2 for heavy nostalgia is well worth the price of admission.

Reply 1325 of 1908, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I grabbed Die Hard Trilogy and Hardball 6 boxed.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 1326 of 1908, by vladstamate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been buying too, to add to my collection. First a nice VERY BIG box version of Might and Magic V. The good news is everything inside is intact and the disks all worked (which I immediately backed up as I always do). I already own 3+4+5 as a big box release trilogy but I wanted original release of V.

IMG_0911.JPG
Filename
IMG_0911.JPG
File size
314.88 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_0912.JPG
Filename
IMG_0912.JPG
File size
461.9 KiB
Views
File license

And second I have a nice store nearby that sells retro games and consoles. So I got myself 3 boxed Intellivision games that I did not have:

IMG_0913.JPG
Filename
IMG_0913.JPG
File size
320.13 KiB
Views
File license

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7HbC_nq8t1S9l7qGYL0mTA
Collection: http://www.digiloguemuseum.com/index.html
Emulator: https://sites.google.com/site/capex86/
Raytracer: https://sites.google.com/site/opaqueraytracer/

Reply 1327 of 1908, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ Nice, I love the cover art on those 8-bit games. They knew the graphics on the inside would look nothing like that but they went balls-out anyway. 😁 The Might & Magic poster/map is boss too, but I'm a sucker for anything that looks like it should be an '80s medieval power metal jacket.

I lucked into this at a pawn shop just today:

1.jpg
Filename
1.jpg
File size
313.69 KiB
Views
File license

....waaaaaaaait a minute, I just gave away my boxed copy of TIM, why the hell am I buying another one?

Well,

2.jpg
Filename
2.jpg
File size
174.35 KiB
Views
File license

oh.

Yeah, it's not every day I run across a long-box 3DO game so of course I was gonna grab that, self-imposed prohibition on boxed games be damned. (3DO & PS1 long boxes don't count, they're more like DVD sized anyway. I made up that exception just now.)

This one is in really good shape too:

3.jpg
Filename
3.jpg
File size
244.33 KiB
Views
File license
4.jpg
Filename
4.jpg
File size
381.38 KiB
Views
File license

You might notice it's still in the shrink wrap. Am I gonna open it??? What do you think?

5.jpg
Filename
5.jpg
File size
201.41 KiB
Views
File license

Don't do it! Drop the knife!

Reply 1328 of 1908, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

...Was there any suspense at all there? You bet your ass I opened it. It had some nice goodies inside too:

8.jpg
Filename
8.jpg
File size
981.74 KiB
Views
File license

These long boxes are a little bit nuts, the CD tray thing is actually spring loaded and depresses further to accommodate the thickness of the manual & paper ephemera. They didn't make them this way for that long, and it's nice to find one with all the bits intact.

And yeah, this game isn't actually new; the shrink wrap was very tidily applied by the pawn shop I bought it at. 😜 This is one of the reasons I'm not big on "sealed" games or hardware, you almost never know who applied the seal and if it really is original or not. Unless you have AIRTIGHT documentation & history to prove it was never opened, you just can't assume. That, and when I buy something like this, I want to use it! so it's gonna come off anyway.

New or not, everything is in really nice shape & the CD-ROM itself is mint:

6.jpg
Filename
6.jpg
File size
192.96 KiB
Views
File license
7.jpg
Filename
7.jpg
File size
132.47 KiB
Views
File license

^^ shiny

Definitely pleased with this find. 😀

Reply 1329 of 1908, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I did all my re-buying of boxed classics years ago so have nothing to add here any more, but I'm really enjoying your posts xjas! Do you have a display shelf going? I have most of mine in a glass fronted cabinet and it always cheers me up to browse through it.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 1330 of 1908, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ Thanks! I figure if you guys are gonna spend your time checking out all the crap I buy, the least I can do is make the post entertaining. 😜 I don't have anything deliberately 'on display' (*), although I did go to a pile of effort to make my gaming cabinet look nice recently.

If it seems like I'm posting in this thread a lot, for some reason the local second hand stores have been yielding a ton of good stuff lately. Even the big chain one that is typically abysmal has given up some goodies. Last year at this time there was basically nothing outside of dedicated gaming shops, but now I'm finding great pickings all over. It's making me wonder if some reclusive, hard-core collector passed away and all their stuff is trickling out or something.

(* well, I do have the original flat-box Ultimate Wizard for the C64 framed and hanging on my wall. That game meant so much to me as a kid, when I found a boxed copy I kinda had to do it.)

Reply 1331 of 1908, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xjas wrote:

If it seems like I'm posting in this thread a lot, for some reason the local second hand stores have been yielding a ton of good stuff lately. Even the big chain one that is typically abysmal has given up some goodies. Last year at this time there was basically nothing outside of dedicated gaming shops, but now I'm finding great pickings all over. It's making me wonder if some reclusive, hard-core collector passed away and all their stuff is trickling out or something.

You know, funny you mention that, because I noticed the same thing over at the Goodwill auction website. A bunch of mint, sealed big box DOS games just passed through recently and I was wondering why the sudden influx. Probably just a coincidence and not a larger alien conspiracy.

Reply 1332 of 1908, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xjas wrote:

Seems I'm the only one buying games lately. 😜

I'm atm actually buying more games then I am buying hardware 😜

My most recent additions are another copy of Battlefield 1942 World War II Anthology, a copy of Battlefield Vietnam and a copy of Rayman 3-pack (the latter 2 games I didn't previously have I think).
It's getting a bit harder to find hard copies over here, mostly some shops that don't sell hard copies of games anymore...or it's the empty case + key variants, which of course are fairly useless except if you get one second hand for whatever reason 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 1333 of 1908, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No idea what came over me.. I don't even rate these games very highly.

Simon_The_Sorcerer_Double_Pack.jpg

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1334 of 1908, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was in a local not-quite-junk shop and came across this. It's been there for ages so I picked it up:

czWSzxSh.jpg?1
uTXWMjdl.jpg
EMh1mjah.jpg
YIiHfLol.jpg

I'm pretty new to DOS and I hear Wing Commander II is very hard to get to run, so I'm sure that will be fun...

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 1335 of 1908, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ Great score, WCII was my first CD-ROM game - thrown in by the local computer sales guy when I bough my first CD-ROM drive. Fully voiced animated cutscenes! I know I had Armada at some point too, but don't remember how it played.

Here's my last batch of goodies before I lay off the purchases for a while (and get some game time in instead of thrifting time!) - cheap off-brand component cables ($1.50), Gamecube controller ($5 - it has a shonky Z button and something rattly inside) & gloriously green memory card ($5) for my new Wii hotness, Extreme Pinball for DOS on CD-ROM, a really early release of Half-Life 2 on 4 CD-ROMs (i.e. not a DVD - didn't even know they made this!), and a mint PS2 demo disc of XIII that came with a soundtrack. All the games were a buck each.

CameraZOOM-20180630191305690.jpg
Filename
CameraZOOM-20180630191305690.jpg
File size
593 KiB
Views
File license

The PS2 demo package is neat, the shop had a bunch of different ones. Didn't know these existed either.

CameraZOOM-20180630191448616.jpg
Filename
CameraZOOM-20180630191448616.jpg
File size
585.6 KiB
Views
File license
CameraZOOM-20180630191554726.jpg
Filename
CameraZOOM-20180630191554726.jpg
File size
545.81 KiB
Views
File license

^^ did you know that PS2 games which came on CD instead of DVD were blue?

I'll definitely be playing through this and maybe grabbing the full game if I like it (hey, demos work!) The soundtrack CD is good stuff, listening to it now. It also has a data track with some promo screenshots and trailers:

0.jpg
Filename
0.jpg
File size
60.28 KiB
Views
File license
15.jpg
Filename
15.jpg
File size
36.65 KiB
Views
File license

Stylish as hell!

Reply 1336 of 1908, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

XIII is a good game, definitely worth picking up if you're enjoying the demo. I also quite like the cell shaded art style but it is a good game in its own right. I've got it on PC.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 1338 of 1908, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

Me + boredom + sale at amazing local game shop = this happened.

cheapps2.jpg

To be honest, TimeSplitters is a bit of a disappointment, I thought it was gonna be a story-driven adventure FPS but it seems to be mostly geared towards multiplayer / botmatch. Maybe I had one of the sequels in mind. There are 'story' missions but they're all of the form 'find this McGuffin and bring it to this random spot on the map', and they don't combine at all to make a coherent story, so I'd call that a misnomer. The controls on the PS2 analog sticks are way oversensitive and aiming is extremely twitchy, enemies respawn and there isn't enough health. Blah.

Timesplitters (the first game) is very basic, and has aged very badly I think. It was a late launch tile, and at the time it wasn't too bad, but I was expecting much more, given that some of the team who had made it were ex-Rare employees, who'd worked on the fantastic Goldeneye, N64 and Perfect Dark.

Timesplitters 2, on the other hand, is superb, and lots of people rate it as one of the best firs person shooters of all time. And to me, Timesplitters 2 and it's sequel, Timesplitters: Future Perfect are better than every other FPS that followed them, even to the this day.

Timesplitters 2 has a very good single player campaign (with proper single player levels, not just the multi-player levels re-purposed for single player, as happened in the first game), and you can play the single player campaign in split-screen co-op mode with a friend if you like. The multiplayer is *extremely* definable, allowing you to customise so much of the gameplay, and has around a dozen game modes, plus a much improved map maker, bot support, etc. There are pre-set challenges for you to play too, in a league format, and there are a ton of unlockables. And the overall quality of the game is excellent.

Timesplitters: Future Perfect (which is the official name for Timesplitters 3) is the best of the three in my opinion, though most people prefer TS2. Timesplitters Future Perfect has (I think) a much better single player campaign, though a slightly inferior multiplayer mode, but in TS:FP the mapmaker is better.

Sadly, Free Radical (who made the Timesplitters games) went bankrupt (it's an interesting read - https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-04 … vs-the-monsters) so there were no more Timesplitters games, though a fan-made project has been underway for six years or so (https://www.tsrewind.com/index.php/en/).

But anyway, I'd *very strongly* recommend anyone who likes first person shooters to play Timesplitters 2, and Timesplitters: Future Perfect (available on the original XBox, Gamecube, and PS2, or you can probably emulate them on a PC nowadays), as they are very enjoyable, occasionally have humourous dialogue, have lots of great characters, and the two games are full of unlockables and the multiplayer modes allow the players to choose so many options and facets of the games.

But Timesplitters 1 is a game I've always been lukewarm towards.

Reply 1339 of 1908, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

XIII is rather good too (and makes much better use of the graphics style than I was expecting), apart from some annoying forced stealth sections, which, fortunately, aren't too long.

It really deserved a sequel.

Other PS2 games I'd recommend you look out for include the two third person shooters Second Sight, and Psi Ops. The have some similarities, being both third person shooters where you play a character who has mind-powers such as telekinesis, mind control (you can take over an enemy's body and control their actions), remote viewing, etc, but the two games are unconnected and made by different companies. They are both really good, with Second Sight having the best story and being more of a stealth game, whereas Psi Ops is more action orientated.

Cold Winter is a first person shooter that is exclusive to the PS2. It's good but not great but sadly is a little on the easy side.

Deus Ex: The Conspiracy is the PS2 port of the classic PC game, Deus Ex.The PS2 version is mostly the same as the PC game, only lacking the PC version's multiplayer mode (which no one ever seemed to play anyway), and with some interesting changes, some for the better, some for the worse. As others have said, the PS2 version of the game is more like a minor remix of the PC original, and is worth playing if you love the PC game, or if you've never played either version.