Common searches

Bought these games today

Topic actions

Reply 1180 of 1913, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Local listing. Paid 10€/each, although she was selling these for 5€/apiece. Actually she was selling 4 games for 15€ so the price would've been ever lower. It was clear she didn't know what she had and I decided not to be too much of an a**hole.

ds_u6.jpg
Filename
ds_u6.jpg
File size
173.32 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1182 of 1913, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sf78 wrote:

It was clear she didn't know what she had and I decided not to be too much of an a**hole.

Good karma for you 😎

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 1183 of 1913, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sf78 wrote:

Local listing. Paid 10€/each, although she was selling these for 5€/apiece. Actually she was selling 4 games for 15€ so the price would've been ever lower. It was clear she didn't know what she had and I decided not to be too much of an a**hole.

ds_u6.jpg

Good man! 😀 Wouldn't be too concerned about Shattered Lands, that is reasonably common. What were the other two games by the way? And, what would you have done if it was Akalabeth and Ultima I for 5€/apiece? 😁

Reply 1184 of 1913, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JidaiGeki wrote:

Good man! 😀 Wouldn't be too concerned about Shattered Lands, that is reasonably common.

Yeah, I have several sealed jewelcase versions of it. 🤣

What were the other two games by the way? And, what would you have done if it was Akalabeth and Ultima I for 5€/apiece? 😁

Reach for the Stars and Kixx release of Eye of the Beholder. She's selling both of them for 8€ now. 😀

To tell you the truth, I'm not really interested in those old old games, they are just painful to play and really lack in (audio)visual presentation. Obviously I would've snatched them at that price, but to me the value of games is about playability and overall quality of the game rather than it's historical (or monetary) value. Also it is highly unlikely that either of those games ever made it to Finland, well, maybe the C64 version of Ultima did.

Reply 1185 of 1913, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

EOB1 holds up perfectly today. I played it from start to finish two years ago and then the sequel. Not buying them is a crime I would say. I have the Amiga versions.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1186 of 1913, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sf78 wrote:
Yeah, I have several sealed jewelcase versions of it. :lol: […]
Show full quote
JidaiGeki wrote:

Good man! 😀 Wouldn't be too concerned about Shattered Lands, that is reasonably common.

Yeah, I have several sealed jewelcase versions of it. 🤣

What were the other two games by the way? And, what would you have done if it was Akalabeth and Ultima I for 5€/apiece? 😁

Reach for the Stars and Kixx release of Eye of the Beholder. She's selling both of them for 8€ now. 😀

To tell you the truth, I'm not really interested in those old old games, they are just painful to play and really lack in (audio)visual presentation. Obviously I would've snatched them at that price, but to me the value of games is about playability and overall quality of the game rather than it's historical (or monetary) value. Also it is highly unlikely that either of those games ever made it to Finland, well, maybe the C64 version of Ultima did.

Zork lacks both Audio and Visual presentation entirely yet it tells a fine story. So does most other interactive fiction.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 1187 of 1913, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

EOB1 holds up perfectly today. I played it from start to finish two years ago and then the sequel. Not buying them is a crime I would say. I have the Amiga versions.

I try to avoid any release that doesn't keep the original box art or doesn't include all the original accessories, most budget releases don't. I already have several Kixx releases (KQ1-3), but they are lacking in all these. To me, it has to be a complete experience with all the knickknacks. Sadly, Ultima is missing the moonstone, but that was to be expected.

TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Zork lacks both Audio and Visual presentation entirely yet it tells a fine story. So does most other interactive fiction.

I'm sure it does, to me it's about the atmosphere and I can't really get into these text adventures. I couldn't even bother with Death Gate even though I really tried to like it and it has superb graphics and music.

Reply 1188 of 1913, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

It didn't for me. Lack of multiple saves, auto-mapping and in-game music kept me from being sucked in. I got to around the 8th level, realized I'd used up my last key on a non-essential door, leaving me keyless for the one essential door I needed to get through, and said nevermind.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 1189 of 1913, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

According to this thread, the game is unfairly hard though. 😵

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 1190 of 1913, by Synthoridity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The Depths of DOOM Trilogy big box, UK version. This release uses stickers for the BBFC ratings (other UK releases have the BBFC ratings printed on the box).

The box unfortunately reeked of cigarette smoke and needed quite a bit of deodorizing (the stench wasn't from me; I don't smoke).

the depths of doom trilogy big box and contents.JPG
Filename
the depths of doom trilogy big box and contents.JPG
File size
1.03 MiB
Views
File license
the depths of doom trilogy big box rear.JPG
Filename
the depths of doom trilogy big box rear.JPG
File size
182.78 KiB
Views
File license

One of the rating stickers is on the box's left spine. For whatever reason, the sticker is in a rather...convenient location.

the depths of doom trilogy big box left spine.jpg
Filename
the depths of doom trilogy big box left spine.jpg
File size
354.26 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 1192 of 1913, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Synthoridity wrote:

The box unfortunately reeked of cigarette smoke and needed quite a bit of deodorizing (the stench wasn't from me; I don't smoke).

That wasn't cigarette smoke. It's Doom. Where do you think that smoke smell came from?

Reply 1193 of 1913, by WildW

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found an immaculate copy of Extreme Assault at a market this morning for two of my English pounds. Quite fun despite frustrating controls - helicopters have too many degrees of freedom for any control method I think.

Attachments

• 2017-09-03 15.11.45.jpg
    Filename
    2017-09-03 15.11.45.jpg
    File size
    259.62 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1194 of 1913, by Synthoridity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Carnivores Ice Age. Not really a game I was looking for, but I happened to see one for sale online, so I decided to get it (plus I now have the complete set of Carnivores games...minus Cityscape, heh). Nice glossy, embossed cover like the previous two games. 😀 This is the big box release. Like the other Carnivores games, Ice Age also had a jewel case release.

sealed carnivores ice age big box.JPG
Filename
sealed carnivores ice age big box.JPG
File size
271.77 KiB
Views
File license

This was sealed and (probably) new, however...the box's original rectangular tape seals (one at the top and one at the bottom) were broken, and a circular tape seal was affixed over each end of the box. After I broke the circular tape seal, I carefully checked both ends of the box before actually opening it. There were absolutely no creases anywhere along the flaps, nor were there any other signs that the box had been opened before, from what I could tell. I then went ahead and opened the game (and in doing so I of course caused a previously mint condition flap to become creased). 🤣 But why would someone break the seals but never open the box? Or could they have somehow opened the box without causing any creasing?

Anyway, here are photos of what's inside: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/li36mcdpm1wck79/AA … 4UTePjhsOa?dl=0

The cardboard insert's spine is on the right hand side of the front cover this time (the cardboard inserts from Carnivores 1 and 2 both have their spines on the left hand side of the front cover).

Edit:

Got Ultimate Quake. This is the original release, which includes a poster and "History of Quake" video (short promotional gameplay video). The US version of this release is a big box with jewel cases inside, while the Australian version is instead a small box with a fat DVD case inside.

ultimate quake box and contents.JPG
Filename
ultimate quake box and contents.JPG
File size
1011.35 KiB
Views
File license

Another edit:

Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders (Australian version). I've never owned this game before.

heretic - shadow... big box and contents 1.JPG
Filename
heretic - shadow... big box and contents 1.JPG
File size
1.05 MiB
Views
File license
heretic - shadow... big box and contents 2.JPG
Filename
heretic - shadow... big box and contents 2.JPG
File size
1.02 MiB
Views
File license
Last edited by Synthoridity on 2017-09-16, 12:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1195 of 1913, by Synthoridity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

These things arrived today:

Master Levels for DOOM II - DOS big box with poster.

master levels for doom ii big box and contents.JPG
Filename
master levels for doom ii big box and contents.JPG
File size
235.29 KiB
Views
File license

Hexen: Beyond Heretic - DOS CD-ROM big box with poster. May be missing the addendum paper. At the time I bought this, neither the seller nor I knew that this game was supposed to include an addendum. It at least includes the poster and other paperwork.

hexen - beyond heretic ibm cd-rom big box and contents.JPG
Filename
hexen - beyond heretic ibm cd-rom big box and contents.JPG
File size
241.01 KiB
Views
File license

Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel - Sealed DOS CD-ROM big box. This may be a re-seal (there's wear/scuffing on the box under the shrink wrap), although I don't really care; I just wanted the game boxed and couldn't find an opened copy with the box.

sealed hexen - deathkings... big box.JPG
Filename
sealed hexen - deathkings... big box.JPG
File size
75.95 KiB
Views
File license

I don't know if the Digipak was packaged above or below the paperwork; everything just slid out of the box. 😜

sealed hexen - deathkings... unboxing 1.JPG
Filename
sealed hexen - deathkings... unboxing 1.JPG
File size
249.31 KiB
Views
File license

There was a horizontal strip on the back of the Digipak's shrink wrap. There is no strip at all on the back of the box's shrink wrap.

sealed hexen - deathkings... unboxing 2.JPG
Filename
sealed hexen - deathkings... unboxing 2.JPG
File size
246.83 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 1196 of 1913, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is interesting. Free as it was in a pile of mouse driver CD's and other junk going for trash.

penguin.jpg
Filename
penguin.jpg
File size
145.29 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 1197 of 1913, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another nearby listing I found, really happy about these (80e shipped). 😊

games1.jpg
Filename
games1.jpg
File size
196.72 KiB
Views
File license
games2.jpg
Filename
games2.jpg
File size
157.5 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 1198 of 1913, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bought thinking it was the original release, turned out to be a budget release (no wonder I got it for so cheap..) but it at least does have the maps and manual unlike the Kixx XL release, only in b/w..

med_gallery_60983_11505_260755.jpg

Overall, I'm happy to own a copy of the game that got me started on flight simulators, on the system I started them no less.

Last edited by appiah4 on 2017-09-13, 14:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.