Bought these games today

Topic actions

Reply 1940 of 1949, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What is it with Value Villages and Sims games? 😅

The local Value Village I go to mostly tends to mix up games with CDs and DVDs. I always scan those sections just in case.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 1941 of 1949, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-04-30, 22:32:
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2024-04-30, 12:45:
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-04-30, 01:19:

Thrift store finds from the past month or so:

That is quite the stack of super fun games. Quake wars was a blast when I came out I'm not 100% sure if it's still has servers up but I know there have been lots of private servers for it.

I'd never played Quake Wars before, but I figured I'd grab it since it was only a few bucks. I think it can be played with bots if I understand it correctly?

Yes they do have a single player mode for Quake Wars.

Reply 1942 of 1949, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-05-01, 01:30:

The local Value Village I go to mostly tends to mix up games with CDs and DVDs. I always scan those sections just in case.

The Value Villages around me all have the Sims and a million EA NHL games spanning over a decade. Sports games make sense because a new one will come out each year. I'm guessing that the Sims shows up a lot because it caters to a more casual audience. Maybe they kept selling hard copies for longer because a casual players is more likely to buy it on a whim when they see it in a department store? There are probably others who don't even know what Steam is and wouldn't know that's where most PC games are sold now.

Reply 1943 of 1949, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-05-01, 01:30:

"casual" gamers gonna casual 🤣 ... I mean it's maybe the only games some ppl with school or home office computers had. They don't sell to gamers as a lot of games, so they go to the thrift with assorted other household stuff.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 1944 of 1949, by johnvosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A number of years ago I got rid of all the boxes for my games that I had purchased, I have regretted that ever since. So I have slowly started buying the games again with the boxes/big CD cases. I tell you though, shipping makes it so expensive. I live in Canada and it is at least $20+ to ship anything that is bigger than a letter.

Anyways, this past week I bought the following games on evilbay.....

-> SimCity 2000 Cd Collection [I already have SimCity 2000 SE disc, but no longer have the box, so found this one for a good price]
-> Command & Conquer Remastered Collection [I already own the game on Steam, but wanted the boxed version to go with all my C&C boxed copies]
-> GTA Vice City [Have my original disks, map, manual, but got rid of the original box]
-> Civ III Complete edition/Civ IV Complete edition/Civ V Complete edition
-> Age of Empires III
-> Unreal Tournament III Collector's edition w/ metal tin [I have my original one, but lost the CD key. Found one for a good price that is still sealed with the original EB Games price sticker on it]
-> Unreal Tournament 2003 [Have my disc, but no box/CD case]

Still need to get the following game big box/box.... C&C Red Alert 2/ C&C Yuri's Revenge/ C&C Renegade/ C&C Generals Zero Hour or Deluxe Edition/ There's a couple other variants of C&C games I want to get as well. UT2004 [I have the case, but lost my DVD]. Zoo Tycoon 1 & 2/ RCT3 expansions. These are the main ones I am looking for, but have a bunch of others I want as well....

Reply 1945 of 1949, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heavenly Sowrd - I already had the PS3 Essentials version, I ordered an older version with the non-budget case from the UK.

The Witcher 3 - I already had it on Steam and this one doesn't support most of the late story DLCs, but... Cardboard slipcover, soundtrack CD, manual, map, wolf head stickers, it has everything. And since it was already activated, which doesn't really matter, since it's DRM-free, it was dirt cheap. Cost me less then 4€. It even has the shrink wrap. The previous owner just cut it open where the DVD cases slip out of the cardboard outer box.

Skyrim - I already had it on Steam, but I assumed this way I can play the release build if I install it and don't update. It also came with a cardboard slipcover and a map. Mostly I cared about the map. I love paper maps for games.

Carmageddon TDR2000 - Have it on both Steam and GOG. It's the Sold-Out version. I just wanted the joy of installing it from the disc.

Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura - I already have it on GOG. It's a magazine bundleware, really interesting RPG, but I don't really care to own a more collectible version. Also there are a selection of old software, drivers and demos with some other miscellaneous items on the DVD which is always nice to have.

johnvosh wrote on 2024-05-10, 00:14:

[Have my original disks, map, manual, but got rid of the original box]

I never understood why people do this.

-> Unreal Tournament III Collector's edition w/ metal tin [I have my original one, but lost the CD key. Found one for a good price that is still sealed with the original EB Games price sticker on it]

Last time I checked, the key could be activated on Steam for the Black Edition. Since then Epic updated the game, but I think it might worth a try.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 1946 of 1949, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RandomStranger wrote on 2024-05-10, 14:25:

[Have my original disks, map, manual, but got rid of the original box]

I never understood why people do this.

I do it to store the discs on a CD/DVD wallet and the manuals elsewhere with games I like enough to keep but aren't amongst my favorites just to save some space.

I've been wondering should I do that with every DVD case game I have, I don't really care about those all that much.

Reply 1947 of 1949, by johnvosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Was out and about on Saturday, went to a Value Village and found 4 more Sims 2 expansion packs for CAD$2.99/ea! Now I just need to find University and Pets expansion packs and 8 stuff packs What I found interesting is the different system requirements for each of the expansions and how the listed the order of O/S. They all require 512MB ram or 1GB for Vista

Open for Business -> Windows Vista/XP; 1 GHz+ (1.3 GHz+ for Vista) CPU; 3GB disk space; 32MB DX9c Video Card (Radeon 8500 or better/Radeon 9600 or better; Quadro Series [Quadro, Quadro 2, Quadro 4]; GeForce 2 GTS or better; S3 GammaChrome/S18 Pro/ S18 Ultra; Intel Extreme Graphics 82865/82915 & above. Vista requires GeForce 6200 & better

Apartment Life -> Windows Vista/XP/ME/2000/98; 1.8 GHz+ (2.4 GHz+ for Vista) CPU; 1.5 GB disk space; 64MB DX9c Video Card & support T&L (Radeon 8500 or greater [9600 or greater equired for Vista], GeForce 2 GTS or greater [6200 or greater for Vista])

FreeTime -> Windows XP/Vista/ME/2000/98; 1.3 GHz+ (2.0 GHz+ for Vista) CPU; 1.5 GB disk space; 64MB DX9c Video Card & support T&L (Radeon 8500 or greater [9600 or greater equired for Vista], GeForce 2 GTS or greater [6200 or greater for Vista])

Bon Voyage -> Windows Vista/XP/ME/2000/98 SE; 1.3 GHz+ (2.0 GHz+ for Vista) CPU; 1.5 GB disk space; 32MB (64MB for Vista) DX9c Video Card & support T&L (Radeon 8500 or greater [9600 or greater equired for Vista], GeForce 2 GTS or greater [6200 or greater for Vista])

Attachments

• IMG_1208.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_1208.JPG
    File size
    1.64 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1948 of 1949, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
More_Halo.jpg
Filename
More_Halo.jpg
File size
337.55 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Got these two for my Xbox 360. With that, I think I have every FPS Halo game for that console. There are apparently some RTS and twin stick Halo games, but I'm not sure if I'm interested in those.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 1949 of 1949, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Joseph_Joestar wrote on Today, 10:42:

More_Halo.jpg

Got these two for my Xbox 360. With that, I think I have every FPS Halo game for that console. There are apparently some RTS and twin stick Halo games, but I'm not sure if I'm interested in those.

Those are Bungie's two best Halo games IMO. Great buys.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.