Topic actions

Reply 340 of 1943, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:
badmofo wrote:

[...] hopefully these games will be released on GOG and deflate those silly prices.

I highly doubt this will happen (deflation of prices). Collectors don't care if a game has a 5$ GOG release, they still want the fully boxed version and that price is determined by other factors. A re-release digital or not plays little role to the price of the collectible original, it only helps those that want to play the game and don't care about collections.

You're right, it won't happen. look at all the rare Atari 2600 cartridges for proof of this. Every last one of them has been dumped and you can download the games to play on emulators but that doesn't stop people from paying hundreds or, in the case of a few, thousands of dollars for an original cartridge.

Reply 341 of 1943, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dacow wrote:

Thats Comanche Maximum Overkill yeah? I owned that game but never really got the hang of it back in high school!

How good was this game? That was the game with the nitro's wasn't it? If I recall correctly it supported 64 colour EGA?

It's worth it for the memories you had with your childhood. I remember getting such a massive beefy boxer and spending so many hours training him up!

Yes Maximum Overkill, I never got the hang of it either but as usual (back then) I had a pirated copy with no manual, so now I should be better equipped!

Ironman off road is a great little game, but "little" describes it well. The whole track fits on the screen and doesn't scroll, you just guide your little car around tight turns and over jumps. There are upgrades to be had and yes nitro is one of them. I think maybe it has VGA support, and adlib?

Reply 342 of 1943, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ironman is awesome! We used to play it at school. Great game. Yes it's VGA and it definitely supports Adlib.

sliderider wrote:

You're right, it won't happen. look at all the rare Atari 2600 cartridges for proof of this. Every last one of them has been dumped and you can download the games to play on emulators but that doesn't stop people from paying hundreds or, in the case of a few, thousands of dollars for an original cartridge.

Totally agree. Prices won't come down.

But for those who don't collect, but actually want to play the games, GOG.com is fantastic IMO. Sometimes you do feel a bit silly, paying money for an, sometimes, botched release, when you can just go to an abandon-ware site and get a better product, but so far I have purchased every DOS game that I was even remotely interested from GOG.com.

The LSL release is quite good.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 343 of 1943, by dacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
badmofo wrote:

I think maybe it has VGA support, and adlib?

Did a bit of checking and yes it has VGA support as well as both 16 color and 64 color EGA. I remember this because when I bought the game, I only had an EGA graphics 😀

Reply 344 of 1943, by s3freak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I bought Quake very cheaply via eBay! It came with just the CD in the case and nothing else. I originally played the shareware version which came with PC Format and PC Gamer by Future Publishing. Sorry, no picture.

My 486 is my real DOSBox, as well as my customised DOSBox!
I am not very active on VOGONS, please send a private message if you need a quicker response!

Reply 347 of 1943, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So it arrived OK then, nice one! The copy I was bidding on recently was sniped at the last second, as were a few things I've been bidding on lately. I just put in my highest bid and hope for the best, but apparently the cool kids are out there with sniping software, wizzing past me as I plod up to the finish line.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 350 of 1943, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I bought Egypt II, Virtual Pool 3, Front Page Sports Golf, Stratego, The Arcade Companion CD-ROM Vol 1 ,Amazon Trail II, You don't know jack SPORTS, The Mask: The Origin, Bugdom, Lego Creator Harry Potter, Comanche 2, Emperor: Battle for Dune, Buried in Time: The Journeyman Project 2, Hoyle Word Games, Warlords III, Advanced Battlegrounds: The future of combat, ATV Rally, Tonka Space Station, Hoyle Classics, Flying Corps Gold, Muscle Car 3, Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption, and Lego Creator.

Nice bunch of jewel case finds at various thrift stores.

Reply 353 of 1943, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pretty cool that you have it three times! AFAIK the GC version's music is slightly lower quality due to the game being only on one disc, but sadly I don't have a DC, so this will have to do. 😀 I only heard good things about the game, so I decided to finally pay the premium price for it, now just need some time on my hands to give it a go 😜

Reply 354 of 1943, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I finally got my hands on a copy of Stunts (aka 4D sports driving). I've been looking for ages and it never came up on eBay. Found a copy on Amazon but they didn't do international shipping, so I had to go via "shipito" - thanks for the tip dacow! Anyway it was a lot of messing around all told but it was a good result:

IMG_3316_zps6e7aa41b.jpg

IMG_3313_zps0261ab4f.jpg

IMG_3308_zps3a20ef9a.jpg

And this finally arrived after months crawling across the globe in surface mail:

IMG_3318_zpsae700c4e.jpg

IMG_3319_zps1092282e.jpg

IMG_3323_zps9cae1824.jpg

The last few outstanding games I have on my 'to buy' list are Mortal Kombat (first one for PC), Dune II, Doom II, and Duke 3D. The big box version I bought back when it was released was the Aussie version with the parental lock hard coded ON. The guy in the store gave me a wink wink nudge nudge and told me to have a poke around in the EXE with a HEX editor, and sure enough it could be easily turned off for full gore goodness.

I have no idea where that copy went, but this time I'll buy a non-Aussie version!

Reply 356 of 1943, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought myself this.

p1010953j.jpg

Dark Forces is wrapped, I haven't decided what to do with it, I already have a copy of the CD if I want to play it. What do?

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 357 of 1943, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've picked up Baku Baku Animal (official Sega European copy from Spain) and Sega Memorial Collection - Japan-only compilation of Pengo, Flicky and Fantasy Zone ported to PC, imported from Japan (bought on Rakuten global) - sadly I got stung by customs on that one, owch!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 358 of 1943, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

[quote="VirtuaIceMan" Sega Memorial Collection - Japan-only compilation of Pengo, Flicky and Fantasy Zone ported to PC, imported from Japan (bought on Rakuten global) - sadly I got stung by customs on that one, owch![/quote]

You've got customs trouble, where do you live? I thought that only happened in my country.

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 359 of 1943, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In the UK; anything over £15 gets stung for customs, and with shipping it came to £18 something. Before I've been stung for importing Sega's Sky Target for PC from India, and also Nine Inch Nails massive Ghosts box set from the USA (which, with hindsight, I didn't realise was so big, heavy and expensive!)

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor