VOGONS

Common searches

Bought these games today

Topic actions

Reply 600 of 1943, by dacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Our local Tandy store was charging people to play TMNT on their computers! Not sure how legal it sas but didn't stop people from hanging out at the store with gold coins in tow. But Yeah I remember all that silliness about violence back in the days. I remember my snes Mortal Kombat missing the blood as well!

Reply 601 of 1943, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally got a boxed copy of privateer.

rps20140813_092902.jpg
Filename
rps20140813_092902.jpg
File size
92.61 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Various jewel case games...wish I had the original box for monkey island.

rps20140813_093248.jpg
Filename
rps20140813_093248.jpg
File size
111.36 KiB
Views
File license

A couple more boxed games...

rps20140813_092935.jpg
Filename
rps20140813_092935.jpg
File size
135.94 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 602 of 1943, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

14spkj9.jpg
qs4nc4.jpg
Mafia 1 with poster / map.
Bought after getting second chance. It seems in this state they are called *RARE*

1672kig.jpg
a0w787.jpg

Unreal tournament 99 for only 0.99 USD (back in the days, i had the acrylic cd-case version.)

s3ivs1.jpg
30nkda1.jpg
Also got unreal II for a cheap price like 2.25 USD.

The state of these games are `like new`

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 604 of 1943, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Lukeno94 wrote:
Still seems to be in its original shrink-wrapping (not that it'll stay that way!), and cost me 75p in St. Richard's Hospice. […]
Show full quote

Still seems to be in its original shrink-wrapping (not that it'll stay that way!), and cost me 75p in St. Richard's Hospice.

M5gZjTgl.jpg

I would keep that one sealed in the shrink wrap and just find a copy in a jewel case to play....I see tons of loose CD's and jewel cases of those old golf and sports games in thrift stores and they can usually be had for less than a couple bucks, but sealed box versions are much harder to find.

Reply 606 of 1943, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not a game, but I finally got OS/2 Version 4 for $20. The ebay outage helped me to win that one because they didn't add time back after technical glitches were fixed so no snipers to deal with.

Reply 607 of 1943, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Lukeno94 wrote:

I'm not one for keeping things shrink-wrapped, and I don't tend to like having multiple copies of games - I barely have room for all the games I have right now!

Ain't that the truth!

Reply 608 of 1943, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Lukeno94 wrote:

I'm not one for keeping things shrink-wrapped, and I don't tend to like having multiple copies of games - I barely have room for all the games I have right now!

Then why buy shrink wrapped boxes at all? Why not just buy a jewel case version for games that you intend to play rather than save in mint condition? You'll save a lot of money that way and they'll take up less space.

Reply 609 of 1943, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found these today at a thrift store.
Some of them I already own but, doesn't hurt to have backups.
What surprised me was the Wolfenstien 3d CD, its the DOS version on a CD 🤣. I did not know that it ever was released on a CD.
Not only that the CD says 95\98\NT\2000 on the front, but the only windows app on it, is the launcher.

Also Ecco the Dolphin, is of note, this is an actual game that supports windows 3.1, and proclaims REQUIRES a Pentium processor on the front ontop of it 😲 !

Last edited by AlphaWing on 2015-08-13, 04:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 611 of 1943, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Today I bought BF2 Deluxe Edition (a second hand copy) for €2. I'm not sure if it is retro enough since the game is barely 10 years old but I always wanted an extra copy as I play it on a LAN with a couple of friends on a regular basis.

Last week I also bought Sim Isle (dunno if I ever played it but for a euro I couldn't resist 😁 )
Also got a bunch of games in a thriftstore last week (sorry no pics, my camera seems to not fully cooperate with me anymore 🙁 ).
Including a boxed "BACK TO BAGHDAD - THE ULTIMATE DESERT STORM SIMULATION" and I have no idea if it's anything but as it came with a real paper manual and the CDROM seemed like new, I just couldn't resist 😜
Also got 2 NWN expansion packs (Hordes of the Underdark and Shadows of Undrentide) even though I don't really need them as I already have some complete package also.
Got Perimeter (still sealed), SIM Copter, Rise of Nations (+Thrones and Patriots as a single package), GTA2 and something which I instantly claimed as soon as I pulled it out and saw the cover: Emperor: Battle for Dune 😁

Very nice! 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 613 of 1943, by AlucarD86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got the US boxed retail version of Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance which was released in 2003. Its not that rare to obtain here in europe but this this is the PC version which was released in the US and I got it from Ebay from a very nice UK seller for like 14 pound. I just love this game and made an unboxing video of it for YouTube, if you are interested you can check it out here if you like, cheers ^^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zCABIvWf04

MGS2PC1_zps3b1398ed.jpg

MGS2PC2_zps3e35cb7f.jpg

MGS2PC3_zpscb19712e.jpg

MGS2PC4_zps6db0e256.jpg

MGS2PC5_zpsac354f32.jpg

PC Setup: Mainboard ASUS CUBX | CPU Intel Pentium III-S Tualatin 1.4 GHz | Memory 780 MB SDRam | Soundcard Creative SB Audigy SB0160 | GPUs Nvidia FX5900 Ulta Matrox M3D PCI | HDD 2x40 GB WD/Seagate | OS Win98SE and WinXPSP1 in dual boot

Reply 615 of 1943, by AlucarD86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks ^^ well the thing with this is that the US version is hard to get in europe but you can get the normal EU version for like 5 pound on Ebay and its the same game except that it comes in a plastic DVD case and not like the US version in that awesome carton box, I really recommend this game if you have a good Windows XP setup but please have in mind it will only work flawless on WinXp SP1, I have tested it personally. When you upgrade to Service Pack 2 and 3 for some strange reasons the game will have glitches and it will also work on Win7/8 but with a fixes applied to it and also that green screen during the tanker mission. I found out the PC version was ported almost 1:1 from the Xbox version which was released in 2002, I went into detail in the unboxing, this is a fantastic game I also recommend Metal gear Solid 1 on Win98SE, runs great on a decent GeForce GPU like FX5900TX and also has first person mode, cheers.

PC Setup: Mainboard ASUS CUBX | CPU Intel Pentium III-S Tualatin 1.4 GHz | Memory 780 MB SDRam | Soundcard Creative SB Audigy SB0160 | GPUs Nvidia FX5900 Ulta Matrox M3D PCI | HDD 2x40 GB WD/Seagate | OS Win98SE and WinXPSP1 in dual boot

Reply 616 of 1943, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hehe, no worries, I'm into collecting boxed games as well, as opposed to DVD cased, that's why I'm looking for a boxed copy of this game. I'm not terribly into Metal Gear, to be honest I've only really played MGS1 and 2, if they release the other major games in the franchise on the PC I'll definitely give them a shot. I used to have MGS2 on the PC, so I know how buggy it can be. In fact, I'm pretty sure that upon release it wouldn't work properly with anything other than GeForce2-5.
Also, the minimum installation of 3.5GB and full installation of 7.8GB were pretty terrifying on my 20GB HDD back then 🤣 Pretty incredible that they didn't include a smaller installation that would stream all the cinematics off the disc.

Reply 617 of 1943, by AlucarD86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Lol yeah i know what you mean 😁 Back during those years when I had a slow PC and also a 20 GB HDD XDD I could not believe the 7.8 GB install but remember... Metal Gear Solid 4 wasnt released on the Xbox 360 because the content would not fit on DVDs and it required a blu-ray medium, thats why it remained PS3 exclusive but the good news is MGSV and Ground Zeros will be on PC Steam 😁 I am a huge RE fan and MGS fan way, way back from the Playstation era and I gave MGS2 a spin today, its story is sooooo twisted you have to finish it to see how damn crazy it gets xD

Also found an old GameSpot Review of MGS2 from Greg Kasavin who used to be an awesome reviewer, check it even he complains about the requirements 😀))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpnA3ZaeatY

good times... good times...

Reply 618 of 1943, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
carlostex wrote:

Great game!!!! Played the heck outta this.

I agree!...I played this at a friends house once and there were things about it that made Falcon 3.0 look like yesterdays news.

4MB ram requirement...wow...this must have been more of a resource hog than I originally thought. I just love these old school flight sims, especially when you have the proper HOTAS controller setup.

What controller do you use to play this?

What do you think of the graphics?