VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 940 of 52688, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Though it's not a PC hardware device, it is retro- I bought what I thought was a replacement PS1 laser lens/motor to fix my old Playstation. What I got...was an Xbox 360 hard drive from China.

Me and the ebay seller are gonna be havin' some words. 😒

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 941 of 52688, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Over the last month or so I've picked up a few goodies.... some of these were from fellow members here, (purchased via amibay and VCF) so some of you might recognise them 😀

Boxed SB Pro CT1600 - this goes well with my other boxed CT1600 in the newer style orange/blue box 😀

7GLLE.jpg

Included in the box was this price list/catalog - check out the prices!
MuqbW.jpg

Orchid Soundwave 32 - includes Orchid branded speakers and 'Zool' game. Haven't tried it out yet...
0fO5e.jpg

Boxed Disney Sound Source! Includes Mickey Mouse at the Fair game (there's no other software for it)
ArTw0.jpg

Close up of the DAC and speaker.

GbcZB.jpg

Was hoping to get some recordings using this but I'll have to just use a mic rather than line-in since there's no other output than the speaker's RJ11 jack (and I'm too lazy to hack up an RJ11-3.5mm adapter)

And finally - Ensoniq Soundscape S2000, Turtle Beach MAUI, Socket 3 5V->3V converter (need to pry the DX2 off it, a job for later - planning to use it with a 5x86 on a 5v only board) and a Yamaha MU10XG, which is basically an external DB50XG. 😀

KiNFJ.jpg

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 942 of 52688, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

nice stuff you got there DK!
I have a Sound Source too, grabbed it from here... mine does not include any game or has mention of one...
It's a nice thing to have on your LPT port 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 943 of 52688, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just got a Number Nine Revolution AGP 8mb. It has a memory upgrade board attached, so it's 4mb+4mb. I grabbed it because the upgrade board seems hard to find. It was only $15.

Reply 944 of 52688, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

Just got a Number Nine Revolution AGP 8mb. It has a memory upgrade board attached, so it's 4mb+4mb. I grabbed it because the upgrade board seems hard to find. It was only $15.

I have a 8mb Revolution 3D but that's without the expansion card. Have you tested it yet? Seems they range from 4,8,12, and 16mb depending on the memory upgrade. Man I want a memory upgrade now. 😁

Reply 945 of 52688, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought an EMS expension memory board 8bit for my NEC V20 system.

I had very lucky i could buy the board, manual for the settings on stason.org

And the drivers where found on Wayback archive..

$%28KGrHqQOKokE3F!V%28bN4BN7KIG!%28eQ~~_12.JPG

The advertisment said:

RamBank

MCT-EMS

Made By Modular Circiut Technology

Many older chips

RamBank Expansion Memory Board 8 Bit ISA Taiwan

Its a Taiwan board as the titel says..

So i tried to found out the manual / more information on stason.org.. And finding this one:

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/memory-cards/MODU … ry-MCT-EMS.html

and

http://museum.ttrk.ee/th99/i/M-O/51046.htm

and

http://jdelliott.org/wiki/index.php5?title=MCT-EMS

I did also search on google..

Found some infomation on
http://books.google.nl/books?id=C6VFJIbxX7MC& … MCT-EMS&f=false

The price was 129,95 USD for this board..in the time of release / when it was available on the store.

Only had to need a driver for it.. Because of the help of chuckG (thanks) i found a driver, that should be for this board.

If found it also here:
http://web.archive.org/web/20010609052411/htt … io_controllers/

http://web.archive.org/web/20010223032644/htt … controllers.txt

AEMS256.ZIP File Size: 39,486 | Expanded memory manager for the
Date: 01/08/80 Downloads: 19 | MCT-EMS

Now waiting if the card arrives and the drivers working.. Then iam a very glad vintage computer user..

Now i hope that the card is working fine with the `included` drivers

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 946 of 52688, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A few cards of interest I've found in my recent travels.

A voodoo1 I got quite cheaply on eBay from a guy in Germany. The description didn't include the word 'voodoo' I don't think, so I didn't have much competition - or maybe it's just not a very good one! Works OK, once I cleaned the mud off (?!):

2012-03-08193500.jpg

And to go with the voodoo1, an ET6100 I found in a very rusty P1 box I found at the tip. It beat my Matrox Mystique 220 in 3DBench and I'm a fan of the other Tseng cards I have:

2012-03-08193604.jpg

A voodoo 2 I got from a very nice chap over at overclockers.net, this is 1 half of the SLI setup I've been working towards for my P3 machine. The other half is in the mail:

2012-03-08193217.jpg

I already have one of these SB16 clones in my P166 machine, but this was going for 12 bucks with free shipping so I thought I'd grab me another. It's a useful little card that's been mentioned here from time to time, I'm gonna try it with a wavetable card soon, if I can fit one on.

2012-03-08193136.jpg

And this is some form of 8 bit IBM VGA adapter - I found 3 of them, all in great condition, in a bag at the tip. I'm guessing 286 era? Does anyone know anything about these? Trash or treasure?

2012-03-08193011.jpg

Close up:

2012-03-08193027.jpg

Reply 947 of 52688, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I dont think that those IBM cards are for video. In fact I'd bet a 6 pack that they are in fact token ring adapters.

Also, make sure you benchmark that tseng 6100. I'm looking for a nice pci video card for my 486 box... 😁

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 950 of 52688, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I picked up another Adlib card, for $28 off ebay 😀

g9ZrZ.jpg
zXfKC.jpg

I already have one, but at that sort of price I couldn't resist another 😀

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 951 of 52688, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

I dont think that those IBM cards are for video. In fact I'd bet a 6 pack that they are in fact token ring adapters.

Also, make sure you benchmark that tseng 6100. I'm looking for a nice pci video card for my 486 box... 😁

Ah of course, token ring... I'd never heard of one. That would make them trash then, back in the hard rubbish they go.

Reply 952 of 52688, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think when we say we got something off ebay, we need to start specifying which country's ebay. A lot of the things people here are saying they got off of ebay I have saved in my searches and never see them so they must be coming off of a different ebay than the one I use.

Reply 954 of 52688, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jwt27 wrote:

No wait, it's a brand new looking IBM 5151 display! 😀

Jelly!

That long-afterglow green phosphor gives me wood.

I got some retro hardware this week. It's not computer hardware though! 😜

u3Tmrl.jpg

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 955 of 52688, by shspvr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So you found a microwave in the mail today but it turn out to be a MonoChrome Monitor I was thinking a nice boat anchors
Just side note I hate see next month power bill hehe
So where your MonoChrome White, Amber/Orange, CGA/EGA/VGA/SVGA Color and Gray-scale model??

Reply 956 of 52688, by Sugoll

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

badmofo wrote:

Ah of course, token ring... I'd never heard of one. That would make them trash then, back in the hard rubbish they go.

😵

a token ring adapter with 2 bios chips for 'even' and 'odd' scanlines, and also a clockgenerator? 😁

no, those are vga cards. Hope you haven't trashed them yet.

Reply 957 of 52688, by shspvr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sugoll wrote:
badmofo wrote: […]
Show full quote

badmofo wrote:

😵

a token ring adapter with 2 bios chips for 'even' and 'odd' scanlines, and also a clockgenerator? 😁

no, those are vga cards. Hope you haven't trashed them yet.

Sorry that not a Video card I can clear see switch bank on the back of card it 12 switches for ROM Address, Interrupt, I/O Port, Shared RAM, Data Rate this know as IBM Model 39F8370 it stampe on back of the card.
IBM video card where way longer then that even with Microchannel card where long cards

Last edited by shspvr on 2012-03-21, 20:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 959 of 52688, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought this today for $20 on Craigslist. It's an HP Kayak XU800 workstation. Overall in very nice shape, with plenty of extra drive rails and even the original keys. Since my other dual-Pentium 3 server is named Galactica, I named this one Columbia (another Galactica-class ship).

Haven't dug into it much yet; I think the SCSI utility is only detecting one of the SCSI drives at the moment. I think I'm going to use it along with my other P3 server to run a few small game servers for my friends and I. Plan is to put the OS on the 20GB IDE drive and server data on the two SCSI drives in RAID1.

Specs (sorry if they're somewhat vague; as I said I haven't really dug into it yet):
HP Kayak XU800
2x Pentium 3 1.0GHz (Slot 1, probably Coppermines? Lord I have so many Coppermines 🤣)
HP motherboard with SCSI, PCI-X, all kinds of cool server-y stuff
1.25GB (2x512MB + 2x256MB) RD-RAM on a cool little removable card
GeForce 2 MX200 AGP (I think)
PCI USB Card (nice)
PCI NIC (haven't looked at it to see if it's gigabit or what brand or anything)
20GB IDE Hard Drive
2x36GB SCSI Seagate Hard Drives
CD drive (probably a burner), DVD drive, and 3.5" floppy drive (also came with an extra CD drive as well)

And pictures 😁
Mba4bs.jpg1XuKxs.jpguUXHjs.jpgYJWwMs.jpgn2i40s.jpg4oBkps.jpg

PCs, Macs, old and new... too much stuff.