VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

happypuppy.com , was my number #1 source for gaming until that point in 98 🙁
archive.org doesn't even archive it well. Heck no one's hoarded/archived anything from 97-98 well. Can't find certain things I remember having.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 16, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote:

3DFiles. Fuckin' ZD.

3DGamers is an excellent site that is similar. All you need is a free login and you're good to go. Older files never have any wait.

Reply 4 of 16, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

JackChaos site. It provided helpful things concerning Ultima, especially offered walkthroughs by users for Ultima 9. AND a lot of Ultima related forums, especially the Exult forum. And from one day to the other the site vanished and we never learnt what had happened...
The good thing about it was that we (the exult team) eventually had to open our own forum for Exult. Otherwise we would probably still live on in his forum, similar to how Dosbox still "lives" here on Vogons instead of their own forum 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 16, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

swayye, I didn't do much downloading at 3dFiles but I loved the forums. I long ago stopped visiting forums dedicated to hardware enthusiasts (Right about when 3DFiles went down) because I got tired of playing the 3DMark game. (Heard last week that FutureMark is going to start developing games so I guess playing 3DMark won't be a joke anymore....)

Dominus,

I think once people stop trying to play DOS games in an environment outside of DOSBox and once configuration files for each DosBox game are easily provided per game then it may make sense for DOSBox to go back to a DOSBox only forum. Probably won't happen for a long time though since people are stilling playing with their Apple II/C64's and there are ALOT more PC's out there capable of playing DOS games without DOSBox.

Previously DOSBox was hosted on the sourceforge forums which sucked and there were alot of questions on those forums that had nothing to do with DOSBox. There was also a beta testers forum on a totally different website as well which while that was fine you had to go to a different forum.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 16, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

3DGamers is an excellent site that is similar.

not quite, they're anti-preservatant with the habit of removing old screenshots, demos and trailers once new ones release.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 16, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

not quite, they're anti-preservatant with the habit of removing old screenshots, demos and trailers once new ones release.

hmmm. Oh well. I still use them to get patches for DOS games quite often.

Reply 10 of 16, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

@Dosfreak: I'm actually not complaining about Dosbox being here on Vogons 😀 Since I *moved* here from the horrible old VDMS forum I was happy to find Dosbox here at a later point. The Sourceforge project forums are not useable at all. Exult did use them in between jackchaos and our own forum.

@Davros: I'm just the lazy documentation guy, poke someone else 😀 (Darke is here in the forum as well, poke him with a carrot 😀)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 11 of 16, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nothing really to do with old games, but one I miss a lot was amused.com - The Centre For The Easily Amused. It launched in 1995. There were hundreds of links to be found there for offbeat and humorous sites, and several online games before Flash really dominated that field. I think it died around the time of the dotcom bust, but I still remember it fondly.

Reply 12 of 16, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

http://www.janes.ea.com and http://www.origin.ea.com. 😢

I also miss the old version of The Adrenaline Vault. Where have all the motherf***ing reviews gone? 😵

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 13 of 16, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

bullfrogs website and the sites of all there games 🙁 R.I.P

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 14 of 16, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I miss the troubleshooting eight ball found in the site of the creators of Bleem... does anybody knows where can I find one of those?

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 16 of 16, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pduke001 wrote:

When I first got online in the mid-90's, there was a site called Town of Illucia that covered Squaresoft console games, namely Final Fantasy and Seiken Densetsu (Secret of Mana). It had a fancy-for-the-time graphic "town" interface that you could explore to find the site's content, which was particularly compelling and unique stuff back then which you couldn't just come by anywhere else (remember, no Google!). It would be considered ametuerish these days, but back in the days when Netscape 3.0 reigned supreme it was pretty wild stuff. I have fond memories of clicking through the town on a 24 kb/s dialup connection...

The site later evolved into a full-fledged Java RPG web game with HP, experience points, etc. It was possibly the first of its kind to the best of my knowledge.

did it have any desktop themes by any chance? The ones I find on the net date back to 99 and that's not old enough.

apsosig.png
long live PCem