VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by v0g0ns

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does someone know when was the CD-ROM first used as a mean to sell a game? I ask, because there's lots of old dos games I'd like to buy, but they are most likely sold in floppy disks, and I don't have a floppy disk drive anymore. So I'd liketo know which games I could buy that will come in a CD that I can install.

Thanks. 😀

Rise of the Triad forum

Reply 1 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

it's easier if you look up the games you want to buy on moby games then going the other way round. It's not like every game company started to use CD-Roms at the same time.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 10, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The first one I remember was Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/sherlock-ho … lting-detective
The 7th Guest was another early CD game.

Reply 3 of 10, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Xian97 wrote:

The first one I remember was Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/sherlock-ho … lting-detective
The 7th Guest was another early CD game.

Exactly what I was gonna say.... Sherlock Holmes... 😀

Dell Optiplex Gxpro: Built solely so I could re-live my SB16 days properly with newly acquired sound pieces: MT-32, SCB-55, and DB50xg 😀

Reply 4 of 10, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

KQ5 predates both. It gets a little difficult to date some of them because the first ones often had prior floppy releases. Many of the first CD-ROM games had CD audio tracks for sound, necessitating the games be distributed on CD.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 7 of 10, by SysGOD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
v0g0ns wrote:

Does someone know when was the CD-ROM first used as a mean to sell a game?...

one of the first games that was designed and selled as CD-ROM only was definitively rebel assault.

sysprofile.png

Reply 9 of 10, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There were several from around 1991-1992. I don't know if there are any earlier.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers