Technically impressive FM synth music

Announcements, advice, random banter, unrelated discussion, et cetera.

Re: Technically impressive FM synth music

Postby mills26 » 2012-10-06 @ 11:44

FM-OPL-Midi-Freak wrote:...are you able to write music in Adlib tracker 2?


Yes, I can write music in adlib tracker, but i don't use adlib tracker 2, i use reality adlib tracker "rad" :)

I found more games using loudness sound system.

+ Demonworld (1997), Ikarion Software GmbH
+ Hattrick! (1995), Ikarion Software GmbH
+ Cold Dreams (1995), Immortality Production

Cold dreams even uses pcm drums in the menu song, but I can't find the files inside the game.

There is also some other German game, something about managing a theater, which also uses the lds system.

In case you didn't read mi older post, I contacted alexander brandon, who created tyrian music. He told me only Andras Molnar knew how the lds really works, But I think it will be difficult to find him.
mills26
Newbie
 
Posts: 66
Joined: 2012-8-07 @ 21:26

Re: Technically impressive FM synth music

Postby FM-OPL-Midi-Freak » 2012-10-06 @ 18:34

Hi Mills again !

interesting, i see the LDS Files from the Game Cold Dreams are *.fsp Files and MCS Files, the header is equivalent to LDS Files

A LDS beginns in Hex: 02 00 43, but i don't know how it ends. In Asci most with a "€" Sign Hex End of LDS Files with 80

It may be true that LDS Files exist in a other Version, it would be interesting how we this LDS Files can play in Winamp

I start Coldreams even and the FM sounds great, the use of PCM its not so mine but a nice intention to this time, i love FM Drums more, however its nice ;)

Now we must try via Hexeditor to experiment until the Song play via Adplug

Greets
Matthias
Equipment:
- ESS Solo (PCI)
- Ess Audio Drive-Compaq (ISA)
- Soundblaster 2.0
-Audioblaster Pro 4.0 at the time puplished by CPS Hamburg

-Sw1000XG / Motif XF - my treasures ;-) beside the Cockaigne of fm synt synthesis / adlib
FM-OPL-Midi-Freak
Newbie
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 2012-10-03 @ 08:35
Location: Germany

Re: Technically impressive FM synth music

Postby mills26 » 2012-10-07 @ 20:01

I didn't find any lds header inside the menu from pcgames. I love the songs you posted. are they inside the same menu? I only listened the happy birthday song.

I also tried to play the lds files from cold dreams, if you cange some characters from the header, it will send some data to the opl, but the sound is just some noises, and then, adplug freezes.

EDIT: I did it! just open any file in cold dreams, (I found a scr and a the rest are mcs with the header) then change the first data (03 xx 43) to "02 00 43" The song just plays the opl data, not the pcm, but it already has fm drums, the pcm ones must be stored in another file.

The "converted" lds from cold dream: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/757056/adlib/Coldreams.zip

The main menu music, without the pcm drums (recorded in adplug emulator):

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/757056/adlib/ColdMain.mp3

:blush:

This web http://www.chiptune.de/ contains nearly all the adlib tunes, I don't know if they will accept these new lds's from cold dreams.
Last edited by mills26 on 2012-10-07 @ 22:06, edited 2 times in total.
mills26
Newbie
 
Posts: 66
Joined: 2012-8-07 @ 21:26

Re: Technically impressive FM synth music

Postby RichB93 » 2012-10-07 @ 20:49

Shocked that no one has mentioned Streets of Rage 2 on the Mega Drive. Yeah it's OPN2/YM2612 but my god it is something else. Hearing your Mega Drive pump out these tunes is really something to behold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJfSz06Qtco

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFcdQObbT8o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cta2rMTcE8

Apologies for the less than stellar quality but sadly there isn't much online. There might be some MP3s floating around.
User avatar
RichB93
Member
 
Posts: 310
Joined: 2011-7-16 @ 07:43
Location: UK

Re: Technically impressive FM synth music

Postby mills26 » 2012-10-07 @ 21:11

RichB93 wrote:Shocked that no one has mentioned Streets of Rage 2 on the Mega Drive. Yeah it's OPN2/YM2612 but my god it is something else. Hearing your Mega Drive pump out these tunes is really something to behold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJfSz06Qtco

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFcdQObbT8o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cta2rMTcE8

Apologies for the less than stellar quality but sadly there isn't much online. There might be some MP3s floating around.


They are awesome!, but of course, they are not just FM, there are a lot of PCM samples in them.
mills26
Newbie
 
Posts: 66
Joined: 2012-8-07 @ 21:26

Re: Technically impressive FM synth music

Postby RichB93 » 2012-10-07 @ 21:20

Nope! That's the amazing thing. The Mega Drive only has a single PCM channel that Streets of Rage only uses for SFX. What you're hearing there is mostly the YM2612 with a hint of SN76489. Yuzo Koshiro built the music engine for the game as well as composing the soundtrack and he really managed to get some astounding sounds out of the machine.
User avatar
RichB93
Member
 
Posts: 310
Joined: 2011-7-16 @ 07:43
Location: UK

Re: Technically impressive FM synth music

Postby mills26 » 2012-10-07 @ 21:26

I mean the drums are pcm, the rest is awesome, the chip is far better than the opl2 and other chips in making different sounds.
mills26
Newbie
 
Posts: 66
Joined: 2012-8-07 @ 21:26

Re: Technically impressive FM synth music

Postby RichB93 » 2012-10-07 @ 22:21

mills26 wrote:I mean the drums are pcm, the rest is awesome, the chip is far better than the opl2 and other chips in making different sounds.


Have to admit I didn't hear them at first. Whoops :pppt:
User avatar
RichB93
Member
 
Posts: 310
Joined: 2011-7-16 @ 07:43
Location: UK

Re: Technically impressive FM synth music

Postby FM-OPL-Midi-Freak » 2012-10-07 @ 22:48

First, Mega Drive's ym2612 is awesome, I am almost inclined to think to buy a Mega Drive, than i need transfer Stuff to move all the vgm Files to the Mega Drive ... ;)

@Mills: wow, awesome, very interesting, i haven't seen the different between both Files, its the "02" i tried yesterday a while longer, i idiot, but so its orginal 100% FM Synth ;)

Now i will this Soundtrack take to my LDS Directory :)

Now we can nearly rip a LDS File from a big resource File, but the end of the LDS File we don't know.

Today i get my ordered ESS AudioDrive ISA, which i can use to play Adplug supported FM Songs via / per true OPL2 in Win98, this function it makes possible, which i can the Adplug-playing record with Cool Edit or Audacity at the same time by internal routing of the Audio Drive, no audio cable its required :)

As first test record i take the 2-part Song: Ad It Up1, Ad It Up2 (Reality Adlib Tracker *.rad) from the hero: Lois Gorenfeld which is a genius in the matter of write *.rad Files in Reality Adlib Tracker, its all so funky and awesome ! You know this guy ?

If unknown, than get his OPL2 / Reality Adlib Tracker Songs here:

http://www.gorenfeld.net/lou/adlib.php

Of course the other great Demo Guys i know, phandral, nula, hydra, void, encore, Dalezy and so on and this stuff i will record also

last but not least a Image from my FM Directory ;)

And the found PC Games Issues by now, this Package is unfinished, the collecting goes forwards ;)

Image

Read ya later

Greetz
Matthias :)
Last edited by FM-OPL-Midi-Freak on 2014-8-11 @ 21:45, edited 1 time in total.
Equipment:
- ESS Solo (PCI)
- Ess Audio Drive-Compaq (ISA)
- Soundblaster 2.0
-Audioblaster Pro 4.0 at the time puplished by CPS Hamburg

-Sw1000XG / Motif XF - my treasures ;-) beside the Cockaigne of fm synt synthesis / adlib
FM-OPL-Midi-Freak
Newbie
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 2012-10-03 @ 08:35
Location: Germany

Re: Technically impressive FM synth music

Postby sdsnatcher » 2013-4-20 @ 05:27

You posted some really nice FM musics here, and dgilaaa collections of OPL music was particularly impressive.

It's interesting that kool kitty89 posted some info about the YM2413, but no songs from this chip were ever posted here. Since I'm from the MSX community, maybe it's my time to contribute for the nice set of songs available on this thread by guiding you through a tour on the MSX universe.

For those who don't know, the YM2413 (aka OPLL) was the only OPL chip to have a built-in instrument bank designed by the Yamaha engineers themselves. This resulted in very high quality instruments even for a 2op FM synth, and combined with the dedication of the MSX community, this resulted in on of the best uses for the OPL series. Some of them combines the YM2413 with the PSG AY-3-8910, to achive even better results. I hope you like it.


Dragon Slayer 6


Fire Hawk - Thexder 2

Illusion City

Starship Rendezvous

Fray - In Magical Adventure (pt1)
Fray - In Magical Adventure (pt2)
Fray - In Magical Adventure (Dark Mayor - The Final Boss)

Xak - The Tower of Gazzel

Undeadline

Final Fantasy - MSX2 version

Feedback

The Fantasm Soldier - Valis 2

Hydefos

Psycho World

Columns

Tetris

Aleste 2

------

Space Walk, by Naruto

Battle Stalion - music 3, by Naruto
Battle Stalion - music 6, by Naruto

Bokozuka Wars, arranged by Naruto

Cream Soda - Music 1, by Naruto
Cream Soda - Music 3, by Naruto
User avatar
sdsnatcher
Newbie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 2013-4-20 @ 02:34

Re: Technically impressive FM synth music

Postby jwt27 » 2013-4-20 @ 16:23

sdsnatcher wrote:You posted some really nice FM musics here, and dgilaaa collections of OPL music was particularly impressive.

It's interesting that kool kitty89 posted some info about the YM2413, but no songs from this chip were ever posted here. Since I'm from the MSX community, maybe it's my time to contribute for the nice set of songs available on this thread by guiding you through a tour on the MSX universe.

For those who don't know, the YM2413 (aka OPLL) was the only OPL chip to have a built-in instrument bank designed by the Yamaha engineers themselves. This resulted in very high quality instruments even for a 2op FM synth, and combined with the dedication of the MSX community, this resulted in on of the best uses for the OPL series. Some of them combines the YM2413 with the PSG AY-3-8910, to achive even better results. I hope you like it.


What I like most about the OPL series is that they are basically a full-fledged FM synthesizer in a really tiny chip package. You can make a wide variety of sounds with just a small set of parameters. Having only preset sounds effectively turns the chip into a sample bank, and I think samples are pretty boring.
That said, I just listened to a few of these tracks and yes, they do sound really good! Much better than most DOS games using the OPL2/3, and I think that is because no one ever tried hard to get some cool sounds out of it, except for a few like Tyrian, Xargon and that cheesy minigolf game. There were usually other options available, like GM and MT32, that sounded better with less effort. Being limited to a few high quality presets does make it easier to create good sounding music apparently.


Now for something completely different, though not entirely off topic: I made an OPL3 version of a Jazz Jackrabbit tune last week, and I was wondering what you guys think of it. I personally think I've overdone it a bit, but decide for yourself:
https://soundcloud.com/oplawaai3/tubelectric-opl3
WANTED - Manuals/drivers for:
  • Tecmar Graphics Master
  • Paradise Autoswitch EGA 350 (EGA1A)
User avatar
jwt27
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1628
Joined: 2011-8-15 @ 02:19
Location: Fryslân

Re: Technically impressive FM synth music

Postby 5u3 » 2013-4-20 @ 17:54

jwt27 wrote:I made an OPL3 version of a Jazz Jackrabbit tune last week, and I was wondering what you guys think of it. I personally think I've overdone it a bit, but decide for yourself:
https://soundcloud.com/oplawaai3/tubelectric-opl3

It's AWESOME! Any chance of you releasing the a2m file? :happy:
User avatar
5u3
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1567
Joined: 2005-9-06 @ 12:23
Location: Vienna, Austria

Re: Technically impressive FM synth music

Postby Cloudschatze » 2013-4-20 @ 20:12

jwt27 wrote:Much better than most DOS games using the OPL2/3, and I think that is because no one ever tried hard to get some cool sounds out of it, except for a few like Tyrian, Xargon and that cheesy minigolf game.


Preference notwithstanding, you might (re)visit some of the other recommendations in this same thread. Despite the attention, FM compositions using the Loudness Sound System format (Tyrian, Fuzzy's World of Miniature Space Golf) are hardly the most impressive. But that's my opinion...
User avatar
Cloudschatze
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1086
Joined: 2005-6-16 @ 14:32

Re: Technically impressive FM synth music

Postby bristlehog » 2013-4-20 @ 21:17

Cloudschatze wrote:Despite the attention, FM compositions using the Loudness Sound System format (Tyrian, Fuzzy's World of Miniature Space Golf) are hardly the most impressive.


Agreed. Of what I listened to, X-COM: UFO Defense seems to be squeezing the hell out of OPL3. Highway Hunter has beautiful OPL3 music too, but less technically perfect than X-COM.
User avatar
bristlehog
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1634
Joined: 2013-4-11 @ 17:56
Location: Russia

Re: Technically impressive FM synth music

Postby jwt27 » 2013-4-21 @ 15:17

Cloudschatze wrote:
jwt27 wrote:Much better than most DOS games using the OPL2/3, and I think that is because no one ever tried hard to get some cool sounds out of it, except for a few like Tyrian, Xargon and that cheesy minigolf game.


Preference notwithstanding, you might (re)visit some of the other recommendations in this same thread. Despite the attention, FM compositions using the Loudness Sound System format (Tyrian, Fuzzy's World of Miniature Space Golf) are hardly the most impressive. But that's my opinion...


True, I have not heard everything posted in this thread so far. But I do think the semi-reverb effect and overall rich sound of LDS is quite impressive, especially since it uses only OPL2 features (and at the same time, that's also what I dislike most about LDS... it could have been so much better on OPL3).
WANTED - Manuals/drivers for:
  • Tecmar Graphics Master
  • Paradise Autoswitch EGA 350 (EGA1A)
User avatar
jwt27
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1628
Joined: 2011-8-15 @ 02:19
Location: Fryslân

Re: Technically impressive FM synth music

Postby sdsnatcher » 2013-4-21 @ 15:34

@jwt27

But the YM2413 isn't restricted to the built-in presets. You can also load a custom instrument if you want. The vast majority of those musics make extensive use of custom presets.

Of course the OPL2 is much more flexible on that can be done. Anything that can be done on the OPLL can be directly translated to the OPL2, since both feature the same synthesis core. The idea of that post is exactly to show how far the OPL2 can easily go.

BTW, that's a really nice remix of the Tubelectric song! Congrats!
Last edited by sdsnatcher on 2013-4-21 @ 15:41, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
sdsnatcher
Newbie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 2013-4-20 @ 02:34

Re: Technically impressive FM synth music

Postby jwt27 » 2013-4-21 @ 15:37

5u3 wrote:
jwt27 wrote:I made an OPL3 version of a Jazz Jackrabbit tune last week, and I was wondering what you guys think of it. I personally think I've overdone it a bit, but decide for yourself:
https://soundcloud.com/oplawaai3/tubelectric-opl3

It's AWESOME! Any chance of you releasing the a2m file? :happy:


Whoa, thanks! :)

Here's the A2M file attached below.
Attachments
TUBELECT.zip
Tubelectric adtrack2 module
(3.39 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
WANTED - Manuals/drivers for:
  • Tecmar Graphics Master
  • Paradise Autoswitch EGA 350 (EGA1A)
User avatar
jwt27
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1628
Joined: 2011-8-15 @ 02:19
Location: Fryslân

Re: Technically impressive FM synth music

Postby jwt27 » 2013-4-21 @ 15:52

sdsnatcher wrote:@jwt27

But the YM2413 isn't restricted to the built-in presets. You can also load a custom instrument if you want. The vast majority of those musics make extensive use of custom presets.

Of course the OPL2 is much more flexible on that can be done. Anything that can be done on the OPLL can be directly translated to the OPL2, since both feature the same synthesis core. The idea of that post is exactly to show how far the OPL2 can easily go.


I understand, but still having only one user definable instrument is a pretty big limitation.
Not saying that's a bad thing though. it's cool to see a more restrictive chip being put to better use than the original. More limitations lead to more creativity :)
WANTED - Manuals/drivers for:
  • Tecmar Graphics Master
  • Paradise Autoswitch EGA 350 (EGA1A)
User avatar
jwt27
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1628
Joined: 2011-8-15 @ 02:19
Location: Fryslân

Re: Technically impressive FM synth music

Postby FM-OPL-Midi-Freak » 2013-10-10 @ 23:24

@sdsnatcher

seemingly you are a fan of msx fm music

recommendable its some scene music of the msx If not already known, the moonblaster mbm file format is interesting

to play the some different fm orginal formats, you need 7 drivers:

MBR143.001
MGSDRV.COM
MBR143.001
MPK.BIN
MPK103.BIN
OPX4KSS.BIN
FMPAC.ROM

This drivers must added in XMPLay or winamp

MSX-FM-Drivers.zip
(39.03 KiB) Downloaded 83 times


and here the winamp plugin

direct link
http://dsa.sakura.ne.jp/arc/bin/wa2msx/wa2msx061213.zip

source page
http://www.pokipoki.org/dsa/index.php?MSXplug

for nice browsing in this stuff / music you can visit this follow paradise, i wish i had the original hardware to play this beautiful songs, but the emulation its ok also

http://www.mmnt.net/db/0/0/ftp.nekochan.net/pub/sites/www.msxarchive.nl/pub/msx/music/

Here i have a little collection of good examples, it could be, that some songs overlaps with hoot users, but doesn't matter

Best.rar
little MBM samples / game tracks
(71.6 KiB) Downloaded 54 times


by the way, the difference between kss playing in XMplay and the mbm version its neat

i forgot Aleste, here both versions to compare
Aleste.zip
kss / mbm file
(11.25 KiB) Downloaded 50 times


one of the very nice examples its "bucket.mbm" with a beatiful synth lead which had a special long LFO setting

apropos hoot, pity that doesn't hoot used no real hardware, of all kinds of ym(xxx) chips

Matze
Equipment:
- ESS Solo (PCI)
- Ess Audio Drive-Compaq (ISA)
- Soundblaster 2.0
-Audioblaster Pro 4.0 at the time puplished by CPS Hamburg

-Sw1000XG / Motif XF - my treasures ;-) beside the Cockaigne of fm synt synthesis / adlib
FM-OPL-Midi-Freak
Newbie
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 2012-10-03 @ 08:35
Location: Germany

Re: Technically impressive FM synth music

Postby Malik » 2013-10-11 @ 01:12

Speaking of Sega Megadrive, have anyone heard SubTerranea Level 1 Music?.

Gets better and better on the way. I prefer to hear it with deep (or deeper) bass.
User avatar
Malik
l33t
 
Posts: 2490
Joined: 2004-4-10 @ 14:37
Location: Malaysia

PreviousNext

Return to Milliways

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests