VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by raging1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been trying to find this game I played back when I was a kid.I happened to see it being played in a movie and managed to get a screenshot.
Hint:Its not Space Invaders or Galaxian,at least not the version of Galaxian I happen to have Galaxian 1983 by Atari.
Maybe a description might help.There are a bunch of spaceships you have to shoot down as seen in the screenshot.Do they shoot back? I don't know for sure but one thing I remember is that there is this one ship that scans the screen horizontally and inches closer and closer to us.As the number of ships destroyed increases,so does its scanning speed.The only way(I think) to escape from crashing into it is moving a step up when it scans the last line which we are in and then moving back down again.I think this is important in that in Galaxian you could only move left/right and not up/down,
Hope that Helps.Thanks

Attachments

• gamehelp.jpg
    Filename
    gamehelp.jpg
    File size
    6.33 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 9, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galaxian

A third official sequel, Gaplus, was released in 1984. Like Galaga, this was a bottom shooter, with some limited up/down movement (like Centipede).

Centipede was actually the first thing that came to mind based on your description of what happens at the bottom of the screen.

Reply 4 of 9, by raging1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:
Looks like Galaxian for the Atari VCS (2600) http://www.ataritimes.com/images/2600/galaxian1.gif […]
Show full quote

Looks like Galaxian for the Atari VCS (2600)
galaxian1.gif

Your right!But it seems after viewing the video of this game closely I had mistaken it for the game that I actually wanted.
Its a bit similar to galaxian actually only that the graphics of the game were a bit ascii like if you know what I mean.The plane looked liked birds flapping their wings and would shoot bullets in a predictable manner at regular intervals.And there would be this one bird that would come closer and closer as I had described earlier.
Another thing is that I played this game on a pc and not a console.

Reply 6 of 9, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nope, R42 has different screenshots.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 8 of 9, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Whoops. Then I guess it's R42 indeed, especially since he mentioned birds.

r42.gif

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.