VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Germin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, everybody!

I have a question related to the MIDI IN of the X-Fi card with the I/O Drive:
I own the X-Fi Platinum but I don't have the I/O Drive (just like having the XtremeMusic). I can see the MIDI OUT in programs like Cakewalk Sonar,... to enroute the MIDI OUT through the X-Fi, but the MIDI IN is not listed...

-Is it just because I don't have the I/O Drive?
-A test: Can anybody unplug the drive (the ribbon cable attached to the AD_EXT) and restart Windows in order to see if the MIDI IN removes from the list of MIDI Inputs available? This will probe if I NEED the drive, or else it is a matter of drivers. I wonder if the drive 'tells' the card that a MIDI IN device can operate, and so, it should be listed.

Thank you very much in advance! 😀

Reply 1 of 6, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Germin wrote:

I own the X-Fi Platinum but I don't have the I/O Drive (just like having the XtremeMusic).

If I'm not mistaken, the "Platinum" stands for the card which comes WITH the I/O Drive. Unless you bought a used one.
I'm having one too. With the I/O Drive.

But I'm not very clear about your question and the reason you want to do what you asked of.

You can still output the midi signal from the X-Fi's joystick/midi port via a joystick-to-midi cable. Of course, this is to reroute the MIDI message to a synthesizer.

Reply 2 of 6, by Sune Salminen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

He can't, because the port on the back of the X-Fi cards is not a Joystick/MIDI port.
It's something else but I don't remember what exactly at the moment.

Reply 3 of 6, by doomer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

From the Creative website.

=================
On-Board Connectivity
==================
- FlexiJack (3-in-1 function, Digital In / Line In / Microphone) via 3.50mm mini jack

- Line level out (Front / Rear / Center / Subwoofer / Rear Center) via 3.50mm mini jacks

- AUX_IN line-level analog input via 4-pin Molex connector on card

- One AD_Link connector for linking to the X-Fi I/O Console (upgrade option)

- One AD_EXT connector for linking to the X-Fi I/O drive jacks

==========================
I/O Drive Connectivity
==========================
- Two RCA jacks for coaxial SPDIF input and output

- Two RCA jacks for Auxiliary input

- Two optical connectors for optical SPDIF input and output

- Two mini MIDI female connectors for MIDI input and output

- Headphone output and volume control via 6.35 mm (1/4-inch) stereo jack

- Shared line-level analog Line/Microphone input via 6.35 mm (1/4-inch) stereo jack

- One AD_EXT connector for linking to the X-Fi PCI card

Reply 4 of 6, by Sune Salminen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

(edit)

Yep it's the "AD Link Connector":

29-102-014-05.jpg

I have the X-Fi ExtremeMusic myself (which also has that port on the back) and there's no MIDI I/O listed for it anywhere. On the 'music' tab in dxdiag only the synths are listed.

The only MIDI I/O i see is my EMU USB MIDI interface.

Last edited by Sune Salminen on 2008-11-29, 19:35. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 5 of 6, by wildweasel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sune Salminen wrote:
lol […]
Show full quote

🤣

The specs don't seem to mention the port on the back at all!
Maybe it doesn't actually do anything and they just put it there to trick people.

I have the X-Fi ExtremeMusic myself (which also has the port that isn't a joystick/MIDI port on the outside) and there's no MIDI I/O listed for it anywhere. On the 'music' tab in dxdiag only the synths are listed.

The only MIDI I/O i see is my EMU USB MIDI interface.

I think the "joystick" port is actually what the docs refer to as the AD_EXT or AD_Link port - unsure of which one. My X-Fi was provided by Dell and didn't come with an I/O drive, and I've got no idea what kind of X-Fi it was supposed to be. All I know about it is that it sucks and I want my SB Audigy back.

wwsig2-button1.pngwwsig2-center.pngwwsig2-button2.png