Vesa stuff

Topic actions

First post, by Zorbid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you know these utilities?
http://www.the-underdogs.org/guidedos.php#e

"VBEPlus is a TSR (Terminate Stay Resident) program that adds new VESA resolutions to your video card. The resolutions it adds a […]
Show full quote

"VBEPlus is a TSR (Terminate Stay Resident) program that adds new VESA resolutions to your video card. The resolutions it adds are fully user configurable. VBEPlus adds all the resolutions your video card does not support like the low res modes or 1280x960 in DOS." Works with most Nvidia cards. http://home.student.utwente.nl/r.muller/unire … resh/index.html

-And while you are there: Check out his "Video problems" page for the UniVBE / UVBELib modified drivers...

"If the video card is not being recognized correctly, it might be caused by the fact that some games use a built-in version of univbe/SDD (UVBELib) and are not able to use the VBE BIOS from the video card. UniVBE generates a driver (univbe.drv) that contains video card specific code. If you have a video card that is newer than the version of UniVBE that is being used then there is a problem. This problem can be fixed by using a driver (univbe.drv) which is modified to use the BIOS of the video card. I have made modified drivers for version 5.1a, 5.2, 5.3 and 5.3a of UniVBE... http://home.student.utwente.nl/r.muller/unire … lems/index.html

-A good clue on whether or not these will help. Is there a file in one of the game's folders called "uvconfig.exe." If there is place each of the modified drivers (in turn) into the same folder as uvconfig.exe and try starting the game (some experimentation may be required). Also try placing them in the game's main folder.

And also:
http://advancemame.sourceforge.net/cab-readme.html

AdvanceVBE is a TSR (Terminate Stay Resident) VBE BIOS wrapper for DOS that substitutes the default list of avaliable VBE video […]
Show full quote

AdvanceVBE is a TSR (Terminate Stay Resident) VBE BIOS wrapper for DOS that substitutes the default list of avaliable VBE video modes with a list of the favourite modes which work with your video hardware without any restrictions of size and frequencies.
With this utility you can play all the DOS games that use the standard VESA VBE services with your TV or Arcade Monitor.

The 16 bit vbe utility supports only some of the vbeline video drivers: 3dfx, savage, sis6326, neomagic, s3, trident, cirrus and vbe3. The 32 bit vbe utility supports all the svgaline video drivers. See the AdvanceMAME DOS card list for a complete list of the supported cards by these drivers.

A project very similar to AdvanceVBE is Mon-ARC. The only big difference it's that with AdvanceVBE you can create your preferred video modes, and obviously you can share the same modes you use with AdvanceMAME.

Other similar projects are UNIVBE and the Scitech Display Doctor SDD (not free software).

Another usefull project is UniRefresh for VBE3 cards and VBEPlus for multisync monitors.

AdvanceVGA is a TSR VGA BIOS wrapper for DOS that substitutes the default list of VGA video modes with a list of the favourite modes which work best with your video hardware.

Following the links a bit further..
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/andrew.lewis5/arcade/monarc.htm

What is Mon-ARC PLUS? Mon-ARC PLUS is a TSR (Terminate and Stay Resident) program that co-exists with the existing VGA BIOS, ena […]
Show full quote

What is Mon-ARC PLUS?
Mon-ARC PLUS is a TSR (Terminate and Stay Resident) program that co-exists with the existing VGA BIOS, enabling the videocard to support any user defined modes. Allowing you to use Standard Resolution, Medium Resolution, Fixed Resolution monitors on your PC.

Its been developed by myself (Andy Geezer aka Andrew Lewis) and the Saka the mastermind behind VSyncMAME and the native videocard driver/code (to whom this program could not exist without, so a big thank you to Saka for all his work).

Mon-ARC PLUS is similar to Univbe/SDD.

Features:

* Universal monitor support (supports fixed rate monitors and multi-scan monitors).
* Support any combination of VGA, Tweaked Modes and VESA modes.
* Support for any combination of refresh rates and scan rates.
* Design your own modes to work perfectly with your monitor.

Supported Video Cards:

* Voodoo Series (Banshee chipset, Voodoo3 Chipset and Voodoo 5500).
* Trident Blade3D.
* Matrox G400.

😀

Reply 1 of 4, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Zorbid Did you know these utilities?

Yes. Search the board and you'll find scattered references to them:

VBEPlus
showthread.php?threadid=480&highlight=VBEPlus
showthread.php?threadid=517&highlight=VBEPlus
showthread.php?threadid=699&highlight=VBEPlus

AdvanceVBE
showthread.php?threadid=620&highlight=AdvanceVBE
showthread.php?threadid=1438&perpage=20&highl … BE&pagenumber=2

MonARC
showthread.php?threadid=1970&highlight=MonARC
showthread.php?threadid=620&highlight=MonARC

You have, however, committed a heinous crime by linking to UDog's "guide" (much of which was copied from here...in a bad way). Expect a public flogging from the Admin.

Reply 2 of 4, by Zorbid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

/me hides under the table..

Wouldn't this topic deserve a new thread in Deep Thought? With the modified VGA.sys from Simon Hradecky..
Don't forget the modified UniVBE.drv (that have been mentionned here too, I should have searched a bit..)

Is there a single link to VOGONS on HotU?

Reply 3 of 4, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Zorbid /me hides under the table..

*hands Zorbid a spoon for self-defense*

Wouldn't this topic deserve a new thread in Deep Thought? With the modified VGA.sys from Simon Hradecky..
Don't forget the modified UniVBE.drv (that have been mentioned here too, I should have searched a bit..)

We've yet to come up with a consistent results with these and the last thing we need to do is announce tools that might help, but more likely will wreak havoc with their computer. All that modified VGA.SYS did for me was to obliterate the use of any DOS program that needed fullscreen mode (IOW, just about all of them).

Bad advice is worse than no advise. While we applaud anyone's efforts to getting old titles to run on new machines, over-simplifying the process and/or making broad, sweeping generalizations can actually make matters worse. Even worse is when such guides make promises that can't be fulfilled.

I couldn't believe the last step of his guide is titled "Everything is now perfect!". *bleah* Like to see him handle "Angel Devoid".

Is there a single link to VOGONS on HotU?

Not that I'm aware of. Sometimes I'm not sure how much control she (Underdog) really has over it...