VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have been contemplating getting a new monitor for about 18 months. As my procrastination continues, I have seen various 1600x1200 4:3 LCDs disappear from online retailers, as demand for them continues to dwindle. What's left appears to be whatever's going on ebay.

So, how about this one? Ebay item # 370171365712 It's a Dell Ultrasharp 2007FP.

Here are some of its attributes -

* S-IPS panel type
* 16ms response time

I think S-IPS equates to "good image quality", but I also understand that 16ms equates to "a bit sluggish". The most important thing for me is - say I throw together a beast of a machine, which can play SVGA DOS games with a very fast frame rate, will the "sluggish" 16ms response cause any noticeable "problems"?

Reply 3 of 8, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Look for this monitor, it has received very good reviews:

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/detail/det … d=LS20EDBEB/XAA

PS: Man, I repeat myself. I've just searched my previous posts in this forum and I've discovered that I said exactly the same in another thread. But I didn't remember it! 😵

Regards.

Reply 5 of 8, by olemogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't know what the market is like where you live, but there are all kinds of inexpensive 19" - 21" crt monitors for sale here (Michigan, USA). If you have the desktop space, that's what I would do. As a matter of fact, that's exactly what I've done. And for the most part they're in good shape.

Reply 6 of 8, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

120 Hz gaming LCD.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16824116402

What I'd like to see is 120 Hz + 24" + led + the price not being so overblown from being new.

Reply 7 of 8, by bur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Why exactly do you want to get a 4:3 monitor?

I have a 1680x1050 (22") Samsung TFT and it sold for 300€ one year ago. Today you can get it for 200€, don't know about pound but should be much cheaper still than your 4:3 at ebay.

Also 16:10 is so much more convenient no matter if for working/gaming/movies. Of course, older games are 4:3 so if you only use your PC for retro gaming 4:3 is still good to go.

But if you do anything else with it, go for 16:10. The Samsung 226BW is a great monitor especially for that money.

Reply 8 of 8, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@olemogamer,

I'm not sure I have the (will) power to lift one of those things! 😉

@ih8registrations,

I'm still nervous about going widescreen, even if it does have 1:1 options, as my primary purpose is to play ancient games on ancient hardware.

@bur,

I think 4:3 is the way I'd like to go, considering my comment immediately above.