VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And it is so very sad. Especially when my lovely girlfriend's game crashes with "An internal error in your video card has occurred"

Gonna retrofit it with a Zalman VF700-Cu.

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 2 of 5, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not from what I have seen... the high end Nvidia AGP cards seem to hold their value okay. I paid about $130 for it over a year ago. It did cross my mind to get a x1650 though as they have came down in price recently..

I ended up getting impatient and went over and get a socket 370 HSF and tried to glue it on to first the GPU die, and then to the plastic shim around it. That didn't work very well at all. The stock HSF used a clip on heatsink and then it had a piece of cowling that snapped on to it, The bad fan was built into the cowling so I just decide to cut it out with a knife. The socket fan was more of a conventional design, with a standard 60mm fan screwed on the heatsink. So I just removed it and glued it on top of the cowling, and shazam! Back in business.

"Retro Rocket"

Reply 3 of 5, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Happy for you 😀

Though Im not sure that 7600 AGP is faster then 6800 Ultra... Or even x1950 pro... I was thinking that 7600gt is a mid-range card. Might have been wrong though 😒

Reply 4 of 5, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It has been really good for me.. it was used to upgrade a cheesy HP Pavillion. I had to worry about power consumption and form factor. It is supposed to overclock really well, but I haven't bothered since it's ran by a P4 2.6ghz and DDR266 ram. The x1950 is supposed to be the best for AGP although it about 30% slower then the PCI-e variant.

"Retro Rocket"

Reply 5 of 5, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This thing is at it's end. After repairing the fan it ran fine for a while, the machine went down for another reason, and now after bringing it back up I have random palette corruption in most video modes. I think a memory chip might be fizzling out 🙁

"Retro Rocket"