List of Free Games

Topic actions

Reply 160 of 165, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GuillermoXT wrote on 2020-08-10, 18:28:

Do i need win10 or can i copy and run those games on my retro K6 System?

You can use them almost directly, but remember to change the sound card settings.

Jazz Jackrabbit (GoG):
Copy the Jazz Jackrabbit folder without subfolders (use a 8.3 folder name, please). You can use it without changes.
More info:
- The game is the CD version of Jazz Jackrabbit, with 9 worlds (floppy disk version had 6), some bonus levels and some xmas themed levels (Holiday Hare).
- The HH95 subfolder contains Holiday Hare 95. This is a demo with xmas themed levels (but different to those included in the "main" game).
- There are some GoG and Dosbox related files you can safely delete. They are: dosbox*.conf, unins*.*, gog*.* and *.lnk
- You can get Jazz Jackrabbit 2 on Gog, but remember that this is not a DOS game, but a Windows 95 one. And, although GoG usually does a good job configuring older games for modern systems, I strongly recommend you to use dgVoodoo and a custom configuration to get the most of this game.

Wacky Wheels (Steam):
Copy the Wacky Wheels folder without subfolders. You can use it without changes.
More info:
- There are two dosbox related files you can safely delete. They are wacky.conf and mapper-0.74.map.
- I don't have the GoG version, but I guess it should work on real hardware with minimal changes.
- BTW, you can get Wacky Wheels from 3D Realms site.

All the 3D realms games are expensive... I bought the 3D Realms anthology pack when it was available, and it's a shame that they don't sell it anymore. It may be cheaper and easier to buy a physical edition on a second hand store to get that games.

appiah4 wrote on 2020-08-10, 10:26:

Unfortunately I absolutely hate the way F1 cars look since 2018 so even looking at the screenshots made me want to stab myself in the eye with a blunt spoon.

That halo thing is horrible, and having only the current (at the time) cars is a downside. Although F1 cars usually are not beautiful machines, older cars are prettier.

I wonder if someone could make an addon to remove halos from the cars. It's not like my virtual pilot will get their brains splattered on the road...

BTW, I hate that F1 games are only about "realistic" games (but if they were realistic, you won't be able to win championship using a Force India car). I miss when they were a mixup of realistic and arcadey (like Super Monaco GP) F1 games... realistic racing games are no fun for me.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 161 of 165, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
realnc wrote on 2020-08-11, 08:39:
clueless1 wrote on 2020-08-10, 23:01:

Whatever. It's free. Quit complaining.

The complaint wasn't about the game. It was about Formula 1.

My apologies. His posts can tend to be on the negative/critical/complainy side and I've been noticing that about them fairly regularly lately. This time, rather than letting it roll off my back, I just snapped. Sorry about that, appiah4.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 162 of 165, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
clueless1 wrote on 2020-08-11, 17:10:
realnc wrote on 2020-08-11, 08:39:
clueless1 wrote on 2020-08-10, 23:01:

Whatever. It's free. Quit complaining.

The complaint wasn't about the game. It was about Formula 1.

My apologies. His posts can tend to be on the negative/critical/complainy side and I've been noticing that about them fairly regularly lately. This time, rather than letting it roll off my back, I just snapped. Sorry about that, appiah4.

It's OK. I was looking a gift horse in the mouth, after all. Apologies on my side as well.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 163 of 165, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The thing about Codemasters....they've always wanted to make "Simulators", so it's not surprising that it's very non-arcade (though ironically, their earliest "simulator" series titles are pretty arcadey due to C64 hardware limitations)

apsosig.png

Reply 164 of 165, by Discrete_BOB_058

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Quake 2 is free now

YouTube Channel:
DEADHistory Walkthroughs

PC SPECS:-
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti OC Edition
RAM: 8GB*2 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400MHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus B450M
PSU: Corsair VX550
Sound Card: Realtek ALC892

Reply 165 of 165, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

"A Total War Saga: TROY" is a new game, releasing today (August 13) and for 24 hours is free to keep on Epic:

https://www.epicgames.com/store/product/a-tot … l-war-saga-troy

The others are the normal week-long free to keep games found on the start page:

Remnant: From the Ashes
The Alto Collection