VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 37, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some points to note : This ASRock 775i65G's POST is actually TOO FAST! If you're not fast enough, you might miss pressing the F2 to enter setup. The POST screen zooms through, that even my main system, which is a Striker II Formula with a Q9300 cpu, can't match.

You might try using another graphics card and see. Preferably a graphics card which shows it's own post messages before relaying to the motherboard's bios. By this, you might just catch a glimpse of the bios after the video's post.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 21 of 37, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I've now tried starting with an AGP card instead of PCI.

And it does actually show the CARD's bios/post info, BUT then it just goes into 'black mode' after that.
I'm able to get into the bios(pressing F2 blindly), but never do any POST messages appear, apart from the 'boot device not found' one at the end....
No glimpse whatsoever - and, the blackness actually last for several seconds, so I don't think it is due to speed.

Weird.

Still, havent tried it with a 'normal' computer yet, just with barebones setup.
(no hdd or case or OS etc etc)

But never experienced this before, having tested numerous other mobo's, so... who knows why.

Reply 22 of 37, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

you sure it doesn't have to option to show post like them mobos that display an image instead, i'm betting you would have found that already it could be the bios chip you can replace them some times.

Reply 23 of 37, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You could try to hit the Escape key when it is POSTing...

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 24 of 37, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try updating the bios if your motherboard is able to access the floppy drive.
I have uploaded both the latest 3.20 bios, downloaded directly from ASRock website and the Universal Flasher Uniflash v1.40.

Attachments

• Filename
    775i65G(3.20).zip
    File size
    550.67 KiB
    Downloads
    258 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    uf140.zip
    File size
    73.44 KiB
    Downloads
    357 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 25 of 37, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For the 775i65pe, the lateset BIOS is 2.00.

"Retro Rocket"

Reply 26 of 37, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
prophase_j wrote:

For the 775i65pe, the lateset BIOS is 2.00.

Wooops. Luckily you pointed it out. Thanks! 😅 I've mixed up that, bestemor is the one having the G, and you having PE.

Reply 27 of 37, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

heh, well, actually... I DO have the PE 😖
(which is the reason for my ranting here)

Will try the escape button later (when I get home).
Though I can't really see why that should have any effect.

As for the bios, check my first message(previous page).
Bios states P2.00 when 'inside', as well as on the bios sticker itself(!weird).
So no, upgrading not an option.

And no, there is no 'splash' image to be shown either, like on say the ASUS boards.
If so, it surely must be 'embedded' somehow, as there are NO options for that in the lackluster bios.
And even so, I'd expect to at least see an Asrock logo or SOMETHING, rather than the total darkness... 😜

But apart from a 'faulty' board, a hide-function for the POST is the only logical explanation I can think of.
There MAY be a setting/jumper on the mobo itself that governs this, but not mentioned in the manual, and can't find any by visual inspection.

This boards apparantly came from a huge lot(100+) of identical ones, from some OEM refurb or whatever, so it may be that the bios chip is made to custom specs for the original owner... (?)

Oh well, I better try with a full OS, to see if _that_ works - then this POST issue may be just a minor(or not?) annoyance.

Reply 28 of 37, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

We may be hitting around the bush even though we suspect something is wrong with the motherboard or the bios chip itself. Anyway, one last thing : Try reflashing the bios. Erase the bios completely before re-flashing, using uniflash. And you can try hot-flashing the bios, if you can find a similar sized bios chip.

Reply 29 of 37, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm curious if you have had any luck with this yet. I hadn't thought about reflashing the BIOS but I guess it is worth a shot, if your okay with taking the risk of messing it up. I had tried to look for some more forums to see if the lack of post messages is common to this board, or if it possibly had something to due with it being on OEM part, but I haven't got very far with it. Perhaps you've gone looking for the "G" variant and said screw it.

I'm looking forward to getting mine back up and running, like I had mentioned earlier it's hard disk flaked out (reminding me why I usually avoid Maxtor) and I don't have a decent one to put in it's place yet. Recently I won a 1gb DDR550 kit for less than $20, which will let me clock my E2160 to 2.4ghz while keeping a 1:1 ratio to the memory 😀

"Retro Rocket"

Reply 30 of 37, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

umm... the seller suggested to 'update the firmware'.... 🤣
I'm hoping he meant the bios...

But, I don't wanna fiddle with that right now, and yes - am looking for other board variants anyway - and had to return the borrowed CPU to the store, so no more testing regardless, for now.

I DO assume the board actually works, and that it's only the post that is a bit screwy...

Reply 31 of 37, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

KEYBOARD BLUES.... 😠

Well, been a while, but I now stumbled upon a cheap board, so....
Namely the 775i65G mATX everyone else seem to have.

But I'm starting to wonder, if there was a reason for only paying £6 for it (also included 2x memory sticks, a Celeron CPU and fan).

I do get a picture on the monitor, and actually see a boot this time, BUT...

- nomatter what I do, there's no way I'm able to get any of my PS2 keyboards to work with it!

There's this silly jumper located just behind the PS2 connector, supposedly all it does is choose which voltage for a soft wake-up or somesuch nonsense. I've tried all 3 settings(V1,V2,no jumper), but no effect.

Can't find any other jumpers that seem to matter either.

Tried clearing CMOS as well, no help - that only made the memory info on post to disappear, now all I get to see is 'checking NVRAM', and then it goes straight to the 'no boot device blah blah press button'.

Which I of course cannot do, since all my 101 buttons have no effect! 😵

The keyboard does blink once or twice when it all starts, but then it's dead in the water.

I do not have an USB keyboard to test with, but don't really think that should make any difference, or...?

- Those of you who have this board, what am I doing wrong ?
Bios is 2.90-9B(so the sticker says, p.o.s.t. says 2.90), if that matters.
PCB version 2.04.

Reply 32 of 37, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Eh.... well.... I'm now officially a (happy) member of the noobz club (again...) ! 😁

Actually I found out what I had been doing wrong.

Brace yourselves:
I repeatedly connected the cable to the MOUSE port...!

The obvious reason for this beeing that I've never encountered a microATX before, with this peculiar port layout, with the PS2 ports side by side instead of on top of each other.

And having always used the 'bottom' upmost port, I automatically/blindly went for it this time as well, not paying much attention to the colors...

Still doesn't explain why my borrowed USB keyboard didn't work until I picked the 'correct'(?) USB port(out of six).

And then it took several tries even with the correct PS2 port.... 😕

oh well.

- Anyway, goes to show that it often is the simplest things that 'go wrong'...
Reminds me of that helpdesk story, with the PCtech guy in the end getting told by the customer the reason for why he can't see the wall socket...(power outage...)

Reply 34 of 37, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I stand corrected ! 🤣 😁 =P

PS: I still think it is just wrong(evil!) to put the mouse port at the very (top) corner of the board - logically it should be the keyboard, even if the port 'tower' has been tilted horizontally for this particular mobo...
ATX standards'n'all that.... 😜

Reply 35 of 37, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wait till you come upon one of these new "legacy free" mainboards. Last week at work I spent half a minute blindly groping for the PS/2 port on a new machine until my workmate suggested I should forget about the old times and try with an USB keyboard instead. 😵

Reply 36 of 37, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bestemor wrote:

PS: I still think it is just wrong(evil!) to put the mouse port at the very (top) corner of the board - logically it should be the keyboard, even if the port 'tower' has been tilted horizontally for this particular mobo...
ATX standards'n'all that.... 😜

I agree. It's kind of bizarre to have the mouse port first. Hard to explain but it's somekind of uneasy or unsatisfied feeling. Or maybe I'm just being a bit obsessive.

Reply 37 of 37, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I ran away from PS/2 mice/keyboards as fast as I could. I always hated them because they weren't designed for hot-swapping/hot-plugging. USB is great, except that everything is a power-hog that wants to be the only thing plugged into a USB port on my laptop.