VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm looking at building the latest and greatest PC possible that still has Win98 drivers available to it. My fastest "legacy" PC is currently a Pentium 4 2.6Ghz Northwood. Intel had drivers for the 865 chipset. It dual boots between XP and 98.

I would love to build a C2D and also dual boot between 98 and XP, but I don't know if modern chipsets have Win98 drivers anymore. I would be willing to look at the AMD equivalent too. What are some of the last chipsets made that have Win98 drivers?

Yah, I could probably look this up myself, but I was thinking somebody here might know.

Reply 1 of 37, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i have 940 deneb and 4 gb ram xp couldn't handle all my ram cause it wouldn't show up under the my computer specs plus the xp sound drivers didn't work for the on board sound drivers and a few other drivers didn't work.

Reply 2 of 37, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could probably get it working with an Intel 9-series chipset, and maybe the P35. They're not all that different from the 865 in their basic setup and fuction, so it seems like it could be doable.

Not sure why you'd want to, though. Considering the limitations of Win9X, as far as single CPU, 512MB RAM (realistically) and peripheral driver support (like for graphics cards, etc.), you really won't gain much over sticking with the P4 system, but you would add a lot of new headaches with newer hardware.

That P4 should already be plenty fast for anything you'd be running on 98 anyhow, and if you upgrade your main PC, you can leave the P4 as a dedicated Win98 box. That's what I'd do, anyway.

Reply 3 of 37, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One VIAble solution may be VIA boards, Asrock perhaps ?
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=5c97536 … ic=97588&st=160

This board has both AGP and PCIE and C2D, though there may be sound issues...:
http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/636852/art/as … -lga-775-s.html

Reply 6 of 37, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a recently got my hands an an Asrock 775i65g and it rocks!!!!! I was using as my main system until it's hard drive went kuput. VERY capable. I put an E2610 in it, which is an Allendale based C2D, and by increasing the FSB to 260mhz took it from 1.8 to 2.4ghz virtually painless. The board supports a max of 300mhz, and according to reviews (and based on my experience I firmly believe) will do it without a hiccup. It is a little picky about the ram however, in order to overclock you have to have CAS 2.5 ram in there. It gives you 3 different dividers, 1:1, 4:5, and 2:3; although it dosen't really spell that out just looking in the BIOS. In fact, I would surely be running it faster if it wasn't for the cheap ram I'm using... mine's technically only rated for CAS 3 at DDR400, but with a 2:3 divider setting I get an equivalent DDR 347.

From what read on the MSFN forums, it will do win98 flawlessly. I'm also using a 7600gt video card, and I have also read that you can get the 7000 series GPUs working in win98 alright too. Later I plan to top it off with an Audigy2, and even though I doubt I'd use it for win98 while my RetroRocket© is around, its nice to know I could.

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 8 of 37, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cdoublejj wrote:

i have 940 deneb and 4 gb ram xp couldn't handle all my ram cause it wouldn't show up under the my computer specs plus the xp sound drivers didn't work for the on board sound drivers and a few other drivers didn't work.

Sounds like you are using the 32-bit version of XP... You need a 64-bit OS to utilize 4gb or more ram. 4GB or more will only show up as approx 3gb on a 32-bit OS.

Reply 10 of 37, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not sure.. I just fired it's crippled a** up and didn't see an option in the BIOS for it, however I don't believe that my E2160 supports it either.

"Retro Rocket"

Reply 11 of 37, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I thought you might be interested in this :
This is one of my not-so-classic systems. In this case, it's my fastest Win9x based system.

Specs Summary:

ASRock 775i65G
Pentium 4 3.2GHz LGA775 (541) at stock speed
512MB DDR400 RAM
Maxtor 120GB with Win98SE
WD160GB with W2K
Turtle Beach Montego II +DBW50XG
Winfast A400 (Geforce 6800 Ultra AGP)

The Box :

dsc00002yre.jpg

dsc00005mmo.jpg
Above: The basic hardware devices screen to show that under windows 98se, there's no "other" unknown or unidentified devices seen. Which means you don't have to worry about Windows 98 incompatibilities in relatively new boards, or at least in this motherboard.

And the "X-RAY" of this machine : 😁
dsc00003cub.jpg
As you can see, I can overclock this system with that big-granddaddy-o'-heatsink, but not doing it.... Yet. Maybe Later.

And with the Montego II, I can still take this baby to the realm of DOS gaming! 😀

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 12 of 37, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Malik:
Lucky you...

I just accidentally bought the 775i65PE.
(damn Intel/Asrock and their naming schemes - Dual Core is NOT equal to Core2Duo, ugh - had to borrow a CPU from the local shop just to test it)

Anyway, was wondering about POST, as I cannot see ANY post messages, just the final one about not finding any boot devices.
Meaning I'm totally blind unless pressing F2 for bios.

Do YOU get any POST messages, and if so, how do you turn them ON ??
My screen is black the whole time 😵
(no option for anything like that in the bios, which seems to be version P2.00, if I read it correctly)

Reply 13 of 37, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bestemor wrote:

I just accidentally bought the 775i65PE.

What did you intend on doing?

bestemor wrote:

Dual Core is NOT equal to Core2Duo, ugh - had to borrow a CPU from the local shop just to test it

The Pentium Dual Core and Core2Duo are both based on Conroe, just has a smaller cache. Definitely still in the C2D family. I also saw a beta BIOS somewhere that would allow you to use the Wolfdale based C2D's

bestemor wrote:

Anyway, was wondering about POST, as I cannot see ANY post messages, just the final one about not finding any boot devices.
Meaning I'm totally blind unless pressing F2 for bios.

I'm using 3.00. I get a few post messages, they are there by default, I don't see any way to alter this as I go through the BIOS options.

"Retro Rocket"

Reply 14 of 37, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Allow me to go ahead and shut my trap...

775i65g /= 775i65pe

I guess that is an easy mistake to make. What through me off is when you said "Dual Core", I thought you must have meant "Pentium Dual Core", or correctly "Pentium D". The Asrock website also says "Supports Intel Dual Core Processors...." Damn semantics. I guees your stuck in NetBurst land.

If you gonna use it primarliy for Win98 get one of these

"Retro Rocket"

Reply 15 of 37, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

About one of 'these', I know about them, but have decided that they still are a bit too pricey at the moment.
Cheaper to just buy an actual 775i65G, heh 😜

Still strange that the screen is black during the initial post...

Reply 16 of 37, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@Malik

Nice setup. Are you using 2x 256mb or 1x 512? That 6800gt is supposed to be faster than my 7600gt. I am also curious what driver you're using. You should take a pass with 3Dmark and post some scores.

"Retro Rocket"

Reply 17 of 37, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bestemor wrote:

About one of 'these', I know about them, but have decided that they still are a bit too pricey at the moment.

I feel that man, I paid less for the board and the E2160 together. It would be pretty cool though for a single core application, when that processor debuted it cost $1000.

"Retro Rocket"

Reply 18 of 37, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hmmm this is interesting plus i like that theme it's not bad, thinking it might be kinda nice to run 98se on a modern or modern-ish mobo system with maybe that kernel 4 xp compatibility layer too.

Reply 19 of 37, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bestemor wrote:

Do YOU get any POST messages, and if so, how do you turn them ON ??

praphase_j wrote:

Are you using 2x 256mb or 1x 512? That 6800gt is supposed to be faster than my 7600gt. I am also curious what driver you're using..

Here are some more pics :

(Currently running a 3GHz P4 LGA 775).

I'm using only a single DIMM of 512MB RAM. Current configuration - Memory Speed is not Optimized.

dsc00072kf.jpg

dsc00074gz.jpg

dsc00075zx.jpg

prophase_j wrote:

You should take a pass with 3Dmark and post some scores.

I'll try to post one soon. I think I have 3dmark2001 and 2003.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers