VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by AdamP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not sure whether this is the right place but...

I recently bought a copy of Dungeon Keeper Gold and it works fine, except that there's no cd music. I tried playing the disc in Windows Media Player and got nothing. I tried it with a Deeper Dungeons disc and the music played on both the game and Windows Media Player. I'm not sure whether my copy is genuine or not. I have tried it on 2 computers and there's no music on either with the Dungeon Keeper Gold disc.

Thanks in advance

Reply 2 of 19, by AdamP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks

Do you think that my copy may not be genuine?

I have tried it on yet another computer and got the same results (6 tracks on Deeper Dungeons disc, nothing on DK Gold disc). I even tried it on a home stereo and the music played using the Deeper Dungeons disc but I got nothing using the DK Gold disc.

Reply 4 of 19, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AdamP wrote:

Do you think that my copy may not be genuine?

Unfortunately, I think that's the most likely reason. I bought 3 used copies of "Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith" from ebay, because the first 2 CDs had no audio. The 3rd CD had audio. I think the people who make fake PC CD-ROMs sometimes forget to copy the audio tracks.

Reply 6 of 19, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AdamP wrote:

Is there any other way to tell? Everything about it seems genuine apart from the fact that there's no cd music.

Sorry, I don't know. I checked amazon & ebay for that game, but none are cheap. I was going to suggest you simply grab another copy, but not at those prices. 🙁

Reply 8 of 19, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AdamP wrote:

The copy I got was £19.99 and it is a new copy. Is that expensive for a 12-year-old game?

To be honest, I think it's a bit excessive. I think £10 is probably more reasonable. But some old games are rare, and can exceed £20. (But I didn't think that DKG was all that rare.)

When you say your copy is new, was it shrink wrapped? If not, was the CD-ROM playing surface in mint condition - ie, no finger prints or obvious scuff marks?

Reply 9 of 19, by AdamP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I ordered a new copy rather than a used copy. I can't see any scratches or any kind of marks on the CD. I think the box was also covered in some plastic material (is that what you meant by shrink wrapped?).

Reply 10 of 19, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AdamP wrote:

I ordered a new copy rather than a used copy. I can't see any scratches or any kind of marks on the CD. I think the box was also covered in some plastic material (is that what you meant by shrink wrapped?).

Which online retailer did you get the game from? And are they still selling that game?

Reply 12 of 19, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

FYI, my EA Classics version also has six audio tracks. (The disc itself only says "Dungeon Keeper" on it, but the setup program is unambiguously Dungeon Keeper Gold.)

[A few years ago I was very disappointed to find that the "Pinball Madness" edition of Pro Pinball Timeshock was purposefully lacking the audio tracks - and that was an entirely legitimate release!. I went through quite a bit of trouble to obtain a Playstation copy from which I could extract the audio.]

Reply 13 of 19, by Hyrune

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is a little old but I thought I'd add my two cents. On my ancient copy of Dungeon Keeper Gold, Windows Media Player picks up the audio automatically.

With my new copy, it does not, and there seems no way to get at them.

Back in 1997 the audio was all mp3, very easy to extract. These days, I dunno. It's a pity you're having trouble though, the soundtrack is quite good I've always thought.

Reply 14 of 19, by AdamP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've just got another (used) copy of it and it doesn't have any cd music either. So either I'm very unlucky and both copies are not genuine, or some copies just don't have the cd music. Perhaps I should just stick to standard Dungeon Keeper (meaning I have to manually install Deeper Dungeons and download add-ons and the patch), which I know has cd music.

Reply 16 of 19, by AdamP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks

I've just checked both copies with IsoBuster and there is 1 audio track but it is the data, not audio. I tried to play the track in a cd player and got nothing but hissing.

Reply 17 of 19, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wonder if you need the original Bullfrog release? Here it is -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/dungeon-keeper-gold_W0Q … id=p3286.c0.m14

Consider contacting the seller, and ask him/her to put the disk in an (audio) CD player, to play track number 2. (If it does nothing, there's no audio.)

Reply 18 of 19, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here's the contents of my .CUE from "Dungeon Keeper Gold Edition":

FILE "C:\DUNGEON KEEPER GOLD EDITION.BIN" BINARY
TRACK 01 MODE1/2352
INDEX 01 00:00:00
TRACK 02 AUDIO
PREGAP 00:02:00
INDEX 01 42:06:65
TRACK 03 AUDIO
INDEX 01 46:27:48
TRACK 04 AUDIO
INDEX 01 51:55:39
TRACK 05 AUDIO
INDEX 01 57:03:70
TRACK 06 AUDIO
INDEX 01 62:05:51
TRACK 07 AUDIO
INDEX 01 66:53:13

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 19 of 19, by AdamP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
retro games 100 wrote:

I wonder if you need the original Bullfrog release? Here it is -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/dungeon-keeper-gold_W0Q … id=p3286.c0.m14

Consider contacting the seller, and ask him/her to put the disk in an (audio) CD player, to play track number 2. (If it does nothing, there's no audio.)

The seller says nothing happens when it's inserted into a cd player. I guess I just have to resign to the fact that DK Gold seemingly does not have the cd music.

Unless that isn't actually the Bullfrog version (it says Dice computer games on the image).