VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

just in case someone in here are vaguely familiar with these things....

My (40gb IDE seagate) hdd suddenly wouldn't start up, or rather, winXP was complaining about something.
(had just fiddled ever so slightly in bios with some harmless settings)

Ended up with that 'did not load properly last time, what do you want to do' page, with the safe-mode and last-known-working-setup options, among others.
But no matter what option, it hung completely there, though safe mode got me down to loading the AGP driver(or so it seemed) before full stop.

Anyway, short story - I gave up, and restored(DriveImage2002) an older image of C-disk, or so I thought !

It STILL remembered! that old botched boot, and still refused to boot with the new image, even if I had completely killed the C-partion (D was untouched). What gives ? HOW does this happen, WHERE does stupid winXP get it's info from ?

AND, even weirder, I now notice that all the newest files in MyDocuments are still there, after the massacre.... ??
The rest of my previously installed programs etc was dead and gone, but not the above!

(I finally managed to get it to boot the new image, NO idea whatsoever on how, though all the prodding/testing/error checking may have helped)

SO, I must assume a complete reformat of the C-partion does NOT kill MyDocuments ?

And not even old boot failures (which was what I hoped for with my image restore/partionkill? )

How, if at all, can that(deleting) be done ?

- Granted, I HAD changed the location of mydocuments to the D-disk some time before(damn 'games for windows'! eating up my C-space), but that setting was NOT on the image, neither the year younger files.

Yeah, google etc, but I'm just so annoyed now, having spent hours trying to fix this, so I could play my game... sigh...
(and not sure which keywords would be efficient, as I only keep getting hits with the exact opposite! problem - lost files)

PS :
while checking the s.m.a.r.t. data on the disk via a different computer, I got this crazy raw value for temperature(9-12 digits), and some other stuff I don't remember, millions of read-errors among other things, with a warning of 'time of death' predicted to be TODAY!

But it now works just fine, again. As it did yesterday... And it read and copied like nothing had happened while I tested it on the other machine.
No strange sounds, no nothing. 3 year old disk with vEry light use, months without any action.

(and it was no problem reading/copying etc during the frantic testing, so... 😕 )

Reply 1 of 15, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I don't think this 40GB harddisk is worth spending hours on it. You could have looked at the system event log of your XP, read errors show up there too.

It could be that it only fails when it reached a certain temperature or when accessing a certain range of data on the disk.

1+1=10

Reply 2 of 15, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, it had a lot of savegames and pictures on it, so....
And, it(the very same disk) works just fine right now - playing as we speak.

Anyone know why the botched startup(and MyDocuments) was still there even after a image restore ?

Further google investigations have clued me in on the persistant data of the MBR(and boot.ini?), which may or may not explain the (to me) weird behaviour.
Obviously DriveImage2002(version 6) does not remove that, so...

Still, when system totally hangs during reboot on winXP, what measures should be taken to erase any remnants of previous bad start-ups ?
Nullify the MBR somehow, or other(boot.ini) ?
Please let me know. Links appreciated.

(beeing mostly used to win98, and reformat/image restore fixing most things... ok, so Im not the quickest adopter of 'new' tech/OS, but hey... this is vogons after all... 😁 )

Reply 3 of 15, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you ran the Segate drive fitness utility? Just to see if it picks anything up.

Also can you run it as slave and boot off another drive, you could migrate your data like that if windows has been corrupted. I've had to do that before. I've learned to never put valuable data on your C:\ partition that way if Windows craps itself you can format C: and install Windows again without loosing anything important.

Reply 5 of 15, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also can you run it as slave and boot off another drive, you could migrate your data like that if windows has been corrupted. I've had to do that before. I've learned to never put valuable data on your C:\ partition that way if Windows craps itself you can format C: and install Windows again without loosing anything important.

umm, yes, about that.... 🤣

That IS what I have done, sort of... meaning I copied whatever valuable stuff from the D:\ partition (not C!) while the drive was connected to a different computer. Mind you, C was perfectly readable as well, but I didn't have any 'important' data there, heh... 😎

- Now, what I still am wondering about, is how the image restore(C:\) vs lingering 'botched-boot info' works ? Why didn't my reformat/restore kill that ?
And also the MyDocument files, they all mysteriously survived the image restore....

Granted, I'm not that familiar with restoring on winXP, so feel free to correct me on how it works/should work.
Or any ideas how to totally nuke remnants of C:\ operational data using simple image programs or whatnot...
(I do not want to bother with a full XP install)

PS: I have to point out that the exact same disk now works just fine (!)
(my best guess is that the MBR got fkuced up, though no messages mentioned it - just total hang as explained earlier)

PPS: as for the event log, I never was able to actually boot into XP, so I have no idea if there were any warnings - and with the old image restored, there is of course no evidence of anything.
The disk is only half full, btw.

Reply 6 of 15, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You should just replace the disk if you have a backup, 500gig drives can be had for under 100$ these days.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 9 of 15, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cdoublejj wrote:

i;m touchy about those 1tbs specially sea gate all though i know all brands can fail.

I absolutely hate Seagate drives! They used to be ok years ago but now i find them unreliable, slow and noisy compared to the competition 😒 I've had nothing but problems with those cheap nasty drives - Maxtor drives are not much better either! My personal favourite drive manufacturer is Western Digital 😀 I also like the drives made by a lesser known company called "Excelstor".... never had any issues 😀

Reply 10 of 15, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PowerPie5000 wrote:
cdoublejj wrote:

i;m touchy about those 1tbs specially sea gate all though i know all brands can fail.

I absolutely hate Seagate drives! They used to be ok years ago but now i find them unreliable, slow and noisy compared to the competition 😒 I've had nothing but problems with those cheap nasty drives - Maxtor drives are not much better either! My personal favourite drive manufacturer is Western Digital 😀 I also like the drives made by a lesser known company called "Excelstor".... never had any issues 😀

The old IBMs are prolly my favorite but I've owned just about every brand of drive and had failures with each. I had a Western Digital 500gb drive die on me a couple months ago, it was only a year old. It took them forever with the replacement drive but they did send me back a 640gb. I still have a working DeathStar model but then bought a IBM 120gb drive once that died after only a week.

Reply 12 of 15, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't know what's wrong with me 😜 but the only drive that has died on me was at work...a Seagate 20gig drive...back in the early 2000
Must have had a guardian angel 😁

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 14 of 15, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Around 5 years ago I bought a couple of 250GB Seagate Barracuda drives (older than the ones with the infamous firmware bugs) and made a RAID0 striped array out of them. Not long after I started using them I knocked a surface-mounted inductor loose (stupid Seagate putting fragile electronic components on the OUTSIDE of a 3.5" HDD! WTF?). Much of the plastic housing of the inductor was broken off, but I was able to solder the wires back down and make it work.

Eventually I transferred the drives into the desktop I built around 3 years ago, since that computer also had an on-board Silicon Image SATA controller. Unfortunately, the controller refused to work with a sound card that I wanted to use (despite the fact that the motherboard and sound card were both from Asus!) so I had to turn off the controller and stop using the drives.

I finally got around to hooking them up again this last weekend (pulled the sound card out since it will be going into my new desktop eventually, and I'm just using my old desktop as a Remote Desktop / VNC host for various things) and after some effort got them working long enough to burn some MacGyver episodes to a DivX DVD for my wife to watch. Then, on Saturday morning my desktop locked up and one of the drives dropped off of the RAID0 array! The drive that is now being called "Orphaned" by the SiI SATARAID5 utility is the one with the smashed inductor, but I don't think the inductor is at fault because the SiI firmware in the motherboard BIOS is detecting the drive and the RAID0 array.

Anyways, I wasn't able to get them working again. Fortunately I've lived without the drives' contents for a couple years already, so I'm not too heartbroken. I had already decided that I won't be building RAID0 arrays any more, since the performance benefits aren't really significant enough to double the risk of data loss. I've also decided to avoid Seagate/Maxtor drives and stick with Western Digital for my next desktop.

I've thought about using an SSD in my new desktop but they're still a bit pricey and the technology is still a bit immature I think, so I'll probably wait until next time.

Reply 15 of 15, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heh, seems like this thread has taken the topic name to heart, and is living it's own life... 🤣

- Anyways, if anyone is more than vaguely familiar with the winxp boot(and/or file system) quirks and functionality, drop me a word/link on how to overcome/remove a hung boot - as image restore (C) doesn't seem to have the anticipated effects (check my earlier postings)...

And yes, my 40gb IDE Seagate is now still working fine(well, so it appears at least), without incident all the time since I somehow (magically?) managed to get past those booting problems.