VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Abson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm hoping someone can help me here. I got the soundcard off of ebay, and the problem is that when 16-bit sound is played, the sound is horribly distorted, be it in pure dos mode or windows 98. 8-bit sound is fine. I'm not sure if it's driver related or not. I ran the diagnose program in pure dos and when I get to test the 16-bit sound samples, the sound is distorted... The only thing I haven't tried is moving the sound card to the other isa slot, other than that, I don't know what else to do. Is the sound card broken perhaps? The jacks on the back are also a bit different, I have to connect speakers or earphones to the 2 red and white RCA jacks on the back using a splitter, otherwise I don't get any sound using the line in jack, unless I am suppose to be using that, but need to have a cable connected to the soundcard inside the case or something? Any help would be really great. Thank you!

Reply 1 of 3, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Abson wrote:

The jacks on the back are also a bit different, I have to connect speakers or earphones to the 2 red and white RCA jacks on the back using a splitter, otherwise I don't get any sound using the line in jack

This is confusing. Are you trying to listen to something plugged into the Line In jack?

(It's quite possible to get crosstalk between different jacks, so double-checking that you have everything plugged in right is a good idea.)

Reply 2 of 3, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wait, what?

The line-in jack is for feeding sound INTO the sound card for recording onto the computer, not for listening to sound coming OUT of the sound card!

The red and white jacks are probably the only output jacks. Those are standard RCA outputs like on your TV/VCR/DVD (red=right, white=left). If you need to plug in headphones, you'll need a stereo headphone-to-RCA adapter.