VOGONS

Common searches

mininova shutdown

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by temptingthelure

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Now only has a few crappy torrents. What a bummer. 😜 😖

Last edited by temptingthelure on 2009-11-28, 16:35. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 14, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They were forced by court order to filter links that pointed to infringing material and ended up having to remove all those. The site obviously won't survive much longer. Read more here: http://news.slashdot.org/story/09/11/26/15124 … inging-Torrents

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 4 of 14, by temptingthelure

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, torrents have their legit use. For example, when I buy a game, I dont want to have to install it from the DVD every time i reformat my computer. Nor I want to put the DVD each time i want to play. I make an iso copy of my retail DVD and play with that instead. Or when I have the retail cdkey but the game itself is borked, i can get the .iso and play with my legit key.

Rise of the Triad modding site!
http://rott.s4.bizhat.com

Reply 5 of 14, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, torrents do have their legitimate uses. But what do they have to do with installing a game after a format or no cd cracks. All that can be done without torrents, it's just a small file.

Honestly, how many games have you borked over the years? 😉 Well unless you have small children. My son killed my Duke Nukem 3D CD about 10 years ago while climbing the shelf, but thats the only one.

Reply 6 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

And whether this is actual legit use is up to the laws in your country...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 14, by temptingthelure

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Torrents are convenient. Well, nocds are good to keep your original discs in their cases without using them everytime to play. And sometimes iso images are needed when there's no nocd or it has viruses and such.

Rise of the Triad modding site!
http://rott.s4.bizhat.com

Reply 10 of 14, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
temptingthelure wrote:

Torrents are convenient. Well, nocds are good to keep your original discs in their cases without using them everytime to play. And sometimes iso images are needed when there's no nocd or it has viruses and such.

Viruses and such? What does that mean? I've never had a game get a virus over my many years of gaming. Well there was that time I downloaded a hentai game and it WAS the virus. 🤣

Reply 11 of 14, by temptingthelure

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bushwack wrote:
temptingthelure wrote:

Viruses and such? What does that mean? I've never had a game get a virus over my many years of gaming. Well there was that time I downloaded a hentai game and it WAS the virus. 🤣

I didnt say the games have viruses, well some have crappy DRM which is like a virus, but that's different. I meant that sometimes the nocd cracks that you get to avoid having the original disc in the CD tray can contain viruses or at flagged as such by antivirus programs. That's where CD images come in handy. 😀

Reply 12 of 14, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

same here i no cd my legit games too mainly one i know won't be patched any more like ghost busters and nfs pro street, then again i havn't check for gb patch yet. but, i have my dvd dcs in boxes or in stacks

yeah i tried out stalker and the no cd would false positive almost every tine even with an exception.