VOGONS

Common searches

What was the first game you played?

Topic actions

First post, by Kelly Stiver

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Been browsing the forums at Adventure Gamer and spotted a thread where people are talking about the first game they played, so I thought maybe we could start a thread like that here?

You go first.

Reply 1 of 20, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

More then likely the peekaboo game when I was an infant. 😁

But really, what platform?
I remember playing Oregon Trail on the Apple II (IIRC) when I was in elementary school. It was AWESOME.

Reply 2 of 20, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The first computer game I ever played must've been Cosmic Crusader, by Michael Abrash (quite a difference from his later project, Quake), which came with my first PC.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 5 of 20, by tempus2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First Arcade game was Pinball, then probably Pac-Man. First PC game was Treasure of Tarmin on my amazing Aquarius PC with 4k
memory and a massive 16k memory cartridge! First console would be Tank on the Atari 2600.

Reply 6 of 20, by Salient

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My first home computer game (C64) was Choplifter.
My first PC game was either Gato, Sopwith or a very early PC version of what I believe was called Space Wars (based on the Vectrex game).

MIDI comparison website: << Wavetable.nl >>
(Always) looking for: Any Wavetable daughterboard, MIDI Module (GM/GS/XG)

Reply 8 of 20, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Asteroids on Atari 2600.
Zaxxon on Game & Watch.
Chess on Apple II.
Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom on IBM PC.

I'm not really an arcade guy, but I still remember when I was about three years old, my parents took me and my little brother to an arcade center. All I can remember is that the screen was very small while the pictures on the arcade cabinet were so emphasized, and my parents kept telling me that it was a racing game. Probably it was Night Driver? I don't know.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 9 of 20, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Colossal Cave or one of it's derivitives on the TRS-80 back in the late 70's

There was something about text adventures that would allow one to crawl inside a mailbox 😁

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 10 of 20, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Boulder Dash on the Vic64 http://www.lemon64.com/games/details.php?ID=349

Or was it Super cycle http://www.lemon64.com/games/details.php?ID=2538
Or Kung Fu Master http://www.lemon64.com/games/details.php?ID=1467

These are the first games I played on the Vic64 at one of my mum's friend's place..shortly after that that Vic64 was mine (all mine!!!)

But the first game I played....memory is very vague but I think it was Ice Climber and Baloon Flight on the NES
Think there was some Atari 2600 game also that I can't remember the name on..some tank game...might have been before the NES

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 11 of 20, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

first pc game I played was Mortal Kombat, but then again I got a pc "late" . The First C64 game I played was either IK 1 or 2(not the + version), but since I started playing computer games in the 90´s then I can not remember which game on each platform was the first, except on PC. Since during that time I also played on the C64, Amiga 500 and the NES, so it is a bit blurred. But yes, Giana Sisters was among the first games I played on the C64. And on the Amiga it was either Silkwork (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silkworm_%28video_game%29) or Dynamite Dux or perhaps even The New Zealand Story. But it is a bit blurry on that note.

Reply 12 of 20, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

humm... hard to remember... It was 20+ years ago... On the arcades, some russian clone of PacMan, I think. Instead of a yellow blob it was a rabbit, and instead of ghosts twas wolves. Then on my first computer, a local clone of ZX Spectrum, it was River Raid. First PC game I played? Tough question... Could be DynaBlaster, Lemmings, Stellar 7, Metal Mutant, Golden Axe or Dune. Or was it Elite+? Or Leisure Suit Larry? I remember the US-centric security questions from LsL made no sense to me. Seemed like the programmers did not think the game would be succesful in other markets than United States.
I still love and enjoy some of the games I played on the ZX and some of the first PC games I played.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 14 of 20, by Kelly Stiver

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I remember back in Christmas 1980 we got an Atari that hooked up to the TV in the den, and several game cartridges and I played a bit of Superman with a little joystick. But it didn't hold my interest because the graphics were extremely blocky and I didn't care for the very limited colors. So I didn't play anymore on this Atari. Then in 1989 we got our first PC (Packard-Bell) but I didn't start playing games on a PC until 1995 when I was 41/42, and that was when we got a Packard Bell with more memory/color screen, and these first PC games I played then were Alien Breed (never finished this one/it was too hard/I gave up on it), then came Star Wars Rebel Assault - and after playing the first 2 chapters of this game, I was hooked!

Call me a computer game junkie - I buy a game any chance I get these days (as well as 10 - 15 years ago).

Reply 16 of 20, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First arcade game I played was Sub Hunt (Bally/Midway) I think that's the name...??? it was so very long ago. On the 2600 it was Combat of course. I remember playing some chicken coupe game on the TI-99A also... some text adventure on the Apple II which the name escapes me also. Vic20 definitely Omega Race. On the 64 my first game was either Paradroid or Space Taxi... I think I will stop there. =]

Reply 17 of 20, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

WolverineDK, you're lucky. I think I have volatile RAM memory instead of a hard disk. I'm constantly losing data!

Hehe, I've just remembered that when we upgraded from the C64 to an AMIGA 500, my sister used to play a lot at it. Her two most favourite games were Mouse Trap and Great Giana Sisters! 😀

Reply 18 of 20, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My first game would have been Pong back in the 70s, though I did play a computer tic-tac-toe at one of the Smithsonian museums if I remember correctly in the late 60s.

The first computer/game system that I owned was an Atari 800 in 1982 and had Pac Man and Space Invaders on cartridge. A year later I got a floppy drive, and first disc based games I bought were Ultima III and Infocom's Enchanter.