VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Steam has the X-COM series for $2 this weekend.
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/964/

Reply 2 of 11, by wildweasel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Even though I'm out of a job and only have a budget of some fifty dollars a week, I still bought this. Because when is this going to come up again, ever?

wwsig2-button1.pngwwsig2-center.pngwwsig2-button2.png

Reply 4 of 11, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wonder if Steam puts DRM on X-Com --an originally non-DRMed game. Who needs Steam when GoG offers DRM-free games? 😉

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 5 of 11, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

I wonder if Steam puts DRM on X-Com --an originally non-DRMed game. Who needs Steam when GoG offers DRM-free games? 😉

When they have 5 X-COM games for only $2. Oh yeah that and GOG doesn't have any X-COM games.

Ultimately I don't like digital distribution at all, especially Steam since you have to run their app online just to play a game.

Reply 7 of 11, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bushwack wrote:

Ultimately I don't like digital distribution at all, especially Steam since you have to run their app online just to play a game.

Eh it has "offline mode". You just need to start the game once while online and then that's done with and you can then use offline mode. My bro and I share the same acct and it works out great since he's far away.

I really have zero issues with Steam itself, but some of the companies selling their games on there like to throw in more DRM and activation AND Windows Live on top if it all. That is pushing it! But really it's not THAT awful and has never been a problem in the games I have aside from the annoyance factor.

One big plus in my view is that you don't need a annoying optical disk in the drive spinning away noisily and getting authenticated every time you start the game.

Reply 8 of 11, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The thing I don't like about Steam games is that you can't lend, trade or sell your games like you could if they were retail.

Steam isn't that bad of an IM, I use it when I'm gaming over Xfire.

Reply 9 of 11, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

One big plus in my view is that you don't need a annoying optical disk in the drive spinning away noisily and getting authenticated every time you start the game.

Come to think of it, you can also get the same result from ISO images sans DRM.

Ahhh... I miss those "pre-DRM" days when games only need to check the presence of the CD in order to run. *misty eyes*

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.