VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Whenever I pause any latest 3D game by pressing ESC, so a menu appears, my gfx card very quickly gets extremely hot and as a result fan gets maximum speed and the air flow is very noisy. When I leave menu and continue playing it slowly cools down to normal level, and fan slowly gets more and more silent. Is it normal? I would rather expect the card to cool down when I pause the game, not heat up.

Reply 1 of 10, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have no idea why is this , but let me guess: is this an ATI card?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 10, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Possibly the game devotes the full time to screen updates instead of game logic + screen updates while not paused.
Why would game programmers write energy saving games that only update the screen if needed...

1+1=10

Reply 3 of 10, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't say I've ever come across something like this, which game or games have you noticed this happeing with or just any game that has a main menu screen when you press the ESC key ???

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 4 of 10, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:

I have no idea why is this , but let me guess: is this an ATI card?

The R300-R481 are notoriously unstable for things like that, though later "HD" radeons has fixed it.
I'd suggest using ATITool to tweak the 'smart' fan settings

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 10, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It is Geforce 280 GTX. This card is known as very noisy so i guess that is why the noise effect is very noticable here.
Games I tried: Wolfenstein, Need for Speed Shift, Star Wars Force Unleashed.
I wonder why turning on Vsync doesn't help, as I think it should limit screen updates to 60 frames per second.

Reply 6 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think I noticed something similar when I bought that card when it first came out. Crysis in the menus would do the exact same thing. Eventually tho the damn card would run at 100% fan speed all the time and after reading up on the net about issues with that line I returned it and went back to ATI.

Will give Nvidia another shot in 1-2 yrs. heh.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 10, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some Nvidia and ATI cards also emit a "squealing" noise in the Crysis menu's (and some other games too). Enabling v-sync will just limit the framerate to whatever the monitor refresh rate is set to (60hz = 60fps, 70hz = 70fps etc...) and it also gets rid of that horrible texture/screen tearing effect.

Reply 8 of 10, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have installed fraps and tested Star Wars Force Unleashed again.
I have Geforce 285 now btw which is way silenter but still same problem happens.
The results are that during the game fraps says i have 30 fps and msi afterburner says i have 30% GPU usage.
But when pause the game by entering the menu i have 100 fps and 100% GPU usage (with vsync off).
When i turn on vsync i have 60fps in the menu and 60% GPU usage. So vsync is indeed limiting the problem but the card is still noisy.
I was wondering whether it would be possible to set refresh rate to 30Hz...
But i think another solution appeared: Future Nvidia drivers will include FPS limiter: http://www.zeus-software.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=301

BTW is that a coincidence that 30fps is 30%GPU usage for me (60fps->60% and 100fps->100% too)??

Reply 9 of 10, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The loudest grpahics cards i've ever owned were a pair of Geforce 7900GT's... They were very hot, loud and annoying! The fan speed couldn't be changed either (both using a crap Nvidia reference design 😒).

I never really check my GPU or CPU usage when playing games, but now i might take a peek and see if the usage number matches the framerate number. I find it a bit odd to be honest.

Reply 10 of 10, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have had my share of weird issues with nVidia lately. I miss the times of the TNT2 card. But as everyone has said so far, both manufacturers have their share of issues. Personally, I prefer AMD/ATI.