VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 33, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If anyone is interested:

Pros:

- Now you can press F1 to play with the original graphics and enjoy the new music and voices at the same time!! This is great!

Cons:

- The new graphics are as crappy as those in the remake of MI1. They look like Disney cartoons.

Regards.

Reply 21 of 33, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Leolo wrote:

The new graphics are as crappy as those in the remake of MI1. They look like Disney cartoons.

I disagree. The graphics match the spirit of the original game just fine. I think they did an outstanding job.

At least this time, they added a few more frames of animation here and there. It still feels chunky in places. Lip Sync would have been appreciated.

I really love the added audio commentary. I just wish there had been more of it.

The COMI style right click menu for actions is so much better than that interface travesty in MI1:SE.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 22 of 33, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MusicallyInspired wrote:
The Announcement […]
Show full quote

The Announcement

The Official Website - Screenshots, Concept Art, Animations, and feature list!

More Screenshots at Joystiq - More amazing screenshots along with hi-res scans of the title and the remade cover artwork!

Well, it's a rotten day for King's Quest fans, but adventure game fans as a whole are getting a pretty big pick me up! This is the most fantastic thing to ever happen in 2010 since the finale of Tales! It's so much more well done than the already fantastic SMI:SE! Smooth animations! Hand-painted backgrounds! Speech available in both remade AND classic modes! Alternate optional secondary control interface for moving Guybrush! All-star Monkey Island cast returns (of course)! In-game commentary by the game developers! And more! It's a dream come true!!!

This is truly EPIC for the adventure community and gaming as a whole! This is seriously one awesome looking game. I can't see myself even switching to classic mode at all this time around like I do for SMI:SE! I was worried about them carrying over the same mood and atmosphere from the original screens but honestly these new screens truly SURPASS the originals in every aspect! I almost can't even look at the originals anymore!

It's set to be released summer 2010 for PC, Mac, PSN, iPhone, and XBLA. (Also SMI:SE is getting released on PSN and Mac as well)

I am seriously so excited right now I don't know if I can wait until summer....I don't even know if I can sleep tonight!

I'll bet the system requirements have soared. It would be nice if they would have made it with options to run on vintage hardware. Remakes or sequels of classic games that have high system requirements just don't feel the same.

Reply 23 of 33, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

It would be nice if they would have made it with options to run on vintage hardware. .

Steam requires Windows 2000 at the minimum, so vintage hardware it can't.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 24 of 33, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can download the game off Direct2Drive if you don't like Steam. That way there's no online activation either. The system requirements for MI2:SE itself are:

Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP / Windows Vista Processor : Intel Pentium 4 at 3.0 GHz / AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Video Card […]
Show full quote

Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP / Windows Vista
Processor : Intel Pentium 4 at 3.0 GHz / AMD Athlon 64 3000+
Video Card : 128 MB VRAM – with Shader Model 2.0 support (NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 / ATI Radeon 9600)
Memory : 256 MB RAM (XP) / 512 MB (Vista)
Hard Disk : 2.5 GB of free Hard Drive space
Sound : DirectX 9.0c compliant sound card
Direct X : 9.0c
Controls : Mouse / Xbox 360 controller

You can always use the latest version of Monkey Island Explorer to extract the original game files from the PAK file and play it in ScummVM. But no SE extras and I'm sure everybody here already has a copy of the original, right?....riiiight? 😀

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 25 of 33, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Really? I thought something had been done to the recent releases of The Dig, Loom, and Indiana Jones to make them unplayable in ScummVM, so I am surprised to learn that Monkey Island is playable at all.

Reply 26 of 33, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is it just me or is the MT-32 music better? I feel like the MT-32's score is much "deeper" and "warmer"....or maybe it's just that I'm an old retro junkie who refuse to let MT-32 go....

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 27 of 33, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does anyone know if this will ever be available for normal retail purchase in stores or on their web site? For some reason I'd rather have a "hard copy."

Reply 28 of 33, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jan3Sobieski wrote:

Does anyone know if this will ever be available for normal retail purchase in stores or on their web site? For some reason I'd rather have a "hard copy."

Tell Tale Games did announce that their sequel, Tales of Monkey Island is now available on DVD so it's possible that their will be a retail release of MI1/MI2 too.

Personally I like the Steam model as I have two main boxes, during the hot summer months I power down for the most part my gaming rig due to heat issues in my room so I like to be able to fire up my file server and play a few games 😀

I still play around more with my comps then I do my PS3 running on a 40 " HDTV for some reason, I mainly use that device as a BluRay player, go figure 😜

@Malik, I bet you connect all your retro boxes into an old Macintosh Tube Amp now don't you.....

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 29 of 33, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The funny thing is that with new interface you cannot do everything (for example you cannot give some items cause interface automatically uses them) so you cannot hear funny reply of a person although the voice for it was recorded. Unless you switch to classic mode (luckily voice is working in this mode compared to MI1SE 😀 )

Reply 30 of 33, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
laxdragon wrote:

At least this time, they added a few more frames of animation here and there. It still feels chunky in places. Lip Sync would have been appreciated

All they did was update the graphics/artwork, add speech and mess about with the user interface. Both Monkey Island "SE" games still use the original unaltered "SCUMM" engine, this means the animation is exactly the same as the originals so obviously this means no lipsync either.

Reply 31 of 33, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
robertmo wrote:

(luckily voice is working in this mode compared to MI1SE 😀 )

Apparenty some folks on the ScummVM forums have now successfully made a version of classic M1 that uses voice. I'm not sure of the details, though.

Reply 32 of 33, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually, it originated on the MixnMojo forums. It works excellently, though. And works in native DOS as well as ScummVM. It's basically a patch that takes MISE and extracts everything for you into a game folder that you can then add into ScummVM or play in DOSBox. The guy actually altered game scripts and added new features like the ability to have either CD, MT-32, or General MIDI soundtracks (he's working on Adlib as well). As well as added ambient sound effects that were present in the special edition but not in the original. He also fixed a myriad of bugs from the original games.

Excellent work. I highly recommend it.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 33 of 33, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

Apparenty some folks on the ScummVM forums have now successfully made a version of classic M1 that uses voice. I'm not sure of the details, though.

WOW! It's true! You can play Monkey Island 1 with the old graphics and the new voices!

Here's the patch:

http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=9161

Thanks!