VOGONS

Common searches

Silpheed, Zeliard MT-32/MT-100 playback through Yamaha DB50XG. Is it possible?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by fatboy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi folks, I’ve been lurking these boards for years now, but this is My first question here.

Recently, I took the plunge and bought Myself a Yamaha DB50XG daughter board. It even came with the original manual, demo CD, MIDI cable, and a SB16 CT1730/40! Although having a MIDI card is beneficial all around, I bought it mainly for MIDI playback in old games like Silpheed and Zeliard. You see, I did a lot of reading on this thing, and everything I read said that this card was compatible with general MIDI and MT-32.
Looks like I was only half right……

After installing and testing the card (Tested in WFW 3.11, Duke3D, Tyrian, and Doom II) I went to Silpheed’s installer and changed music to “Roland MT-32 or MT-100 Sound Module” assuming that the DB50XG would automatically switch over to TG300B mode. I then started the game, where, after the “Identify this ship” copy id, the game promptly froze. I restarted, tried again, and got the same response. I then tried Zeliard: game plays, but no music, just SFX.

I then went to the almighty internet, and found that the card has to be TOLD to go to TG300B mode, usually with a “sysex” command at the beginning of a MIDI file. Problem is, I’m not dealing with a single MIDI file, but a whole game.

Now the question:

Is it even possible to get MIDI playback in these old sierra games with a DB50XG, Or am I a complete idiot for even asking such a thing?

System specs as follows:

Motherboard: FIRST INTERNATIONAL COMPUTER INC 486 486-GVT-2
http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/F/FI … -486-GVT-2.html

Graphics card: ATI-TECHNOLOGIES-INC VGA MACH32 VESA DRAM
http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/graphics-cards/A- … -VESA-DRAM.html

I/O Card: DATA TECHNOLOGY-CORPORATION Two IDE AT interface d-298
http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/hard-disk-floppy- … face-d-298.html

Sound card: Sound blaster 16 CT 1730/40
http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/sound-cards-multi … R-16-ASP-C.html

Game port controller card: CH Products Game card III Automatic
ftp://ftp.chproducts.com/pub/pdf/Legacy_PDF/Qgc3ae14.pdf

3.5floppy, 5.25 floppy, Toshiba 40X CD-ROM, 16 Megs RAM. Western digital Caviar 2420 HD, 425 Mb,
Intel 486DX2 66 Mhz CPU, MS-DOS 6.22, Windows For Workgroups 3.11.

CONFIG.SYS:

DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE RAM I=E000-EFFF
BUFFERS=30,0
FILES=50
DOS=UMB
LASTDRIVE=Z
FCBS=4,0
DEVICEHIGH /L:1,4560 =C:\WINDOWS\IFSHLP.SYS
DEVICEHIGH /L:1,12048 =C:\DOS\SETVER.EXE
DOS=HIGH
SHELL=C:\DOS\COMMAND.COM C:\DOS /E:256 /P
BREAK=ON
STACKS=9,256
DEVICEHIGH /L:1,18304 =\DEV\TAISATAP.SYS /D:MSCD000 /N:1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AUTOEXEC.BAT:

SET SOUND=C:\SB16
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E MODE:0
@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $P$G
PATH=C:\;C:\DOS;C:\WINDOWS
PATH=C:\ODAPI;%PATH%
PATH %PATH%;C:\MOUSE
SET LMOUSE=C:\MOUSE
SET TEMP=C:\TEMP
SET GSFONTS=C:\GSFONTS
LMOUSE.COM
LH /L:0;2,45456 /S SMARTDRV
LH /L:2,27952 \BIN\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD000
WIN/3

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the loooooong post, but I figure the more info I can give, the better chance I have of getting help.

THANKS!

Open WIIIIIIIIIIIDE for chunky!!

Reply 1 of 5, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Isn't the DB50XG a wavetable synthesizer board? If so, then it's only going to be able to simulate the default MT-32 instrument set, which makes it pretty useless for most LA synthesizer games.

I would strongly recommend picking up an actual MT-32, CM-32, CM-64, or LAPC-I if you are interested in playing games intended for that family of synths.

You may need to buy an MPU-401 interface card for your system to run the external synth if you're using an actual DOS machine. The SB16 has partial MPU-401 compatibility, so it may or may not work as an interface to an external LA synth. If you can get an LAPC-I card instead of an external synth then it will plug straight into an ISA slot and you'd be good to go.

Personally I have an external SC-88 (for GM/GS) and an MT-32 and I use them with DOSBox via a USB MIDI interface for the least hassle.

Reply 2 of 5, by fatboy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In other words, I should have bought anything BUT the DB50XG? Damn.
And I just checked prices on MT-32's, Turns out I could have afforded on. Double Damn.
AND after several hours of testing, I've found that the daughter board I bought is defective, I'm getting a lot of static and hiss off of the left channel during midi playback. Triple Damn.

I'm a sad fatty......

Open WIIIIIIIIIIIDE for chunky!!

Reply 5 of 5, by Falkenstein

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, I think MT32 mode should work with the Yamaha DB50XG and the right soundcard and the right setttings in the autoexec.bat file in some way.
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6
----------------------------------->P330 I´m not really sure, but I think 330 iis the right adress for MPU401 MIDI
Remember: Those port settings must be the same as jumpered on the soundcard!!!
As I can remember soundcards like some SB16 without jumpers always made troubles...

As it had been already said, everthing you need is an MPU-401 compatible Soundcard with an extension connector on it eg. Soundblaster AWE32.

How will Roland MT32 sound on Yamaha DB50XG?
I do not know. I owned an MT32 module long years ago and I still own a DB50XG doughter board. The only thing I can say for comparision is, that they both sound good but totally different.
If you have the opportunity buy yourself an MT32 Sound Module with the corresponding MPU 401 MIDI interface.
I found the sound of this little box very charming and today I think I should never have sold it.

The old Roland MT32 is a pure Midi-expander connected to an real Roland MPU-401 Interface via MIDI cable. That means, it has no capability for playing back (or record) sampled wave soundfiles. Therefore you still need a Soundblaster compatible additional card.

btw. today you can try the easier way and play DOS-games in some emulation like DOSBOX in Windows. Therefore you have to route the Windows Midi playback to the Midi interface of your soundcard.

good luck!