VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just random thinking here. Is it possible to program a DOS program that would run in FreeDOS or something tha takes advantage of modern 3D graphics cards? Like, is it possible to create a game that competes with today's titles for a DOS operating system? And if so why hasn't anybody done anything like it yet? Demos and such? I'm not really talking about DOS Glide wrappers or anything. And I understand that Direct3D is Microsoft's and there's not going to be any DOS renditions of that any time soon. But OpenGL?

I ask because every now and then I think about the idea of running a complete DOS machine again and sometimes it's an attractive concept.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 1 of 19, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's nothing preventing it except the hardware companies. On Windows you have drivers. On DOS you don't have those drivers for sound/video so you'd have to either reverse engineer all of that (good luck) or get the hardware companies to provide the specs (good luck) so you can interface with that hardware.

Open Sourced linux driver source code may provide a clue but IIRC for video they only suppot 2D not 3D.

Considering how fast current processors are today you'd be better off just using the processor (porting Mesa3D to DOS and using that).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkUwT9U1GzA
http://bisqwit.iki.fi/jutut/kuvat/programming … example-FAQ.txt

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 19, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The problem is that all graphics hardware is now proprietary, and noone cares to reverse-engineer it because it can be accessed in a standard way via DirectX/OpenGL.

You could install Linux and launch Windows games in WINE from a terminal prompt :p

Reply 3 of 19, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's what I figured. Sigh. Man Windows really messed stuff up didn't it...

My Github

Reply 4 of 19, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No it didn't. That's like saying the invention of the wheel really messed up travelling. Welcome to the 21st century my friend.

In fact, from a gaming perspective, Windows was a revelation. As has been pointed out coders of DOS games had to write their own "drivers" - figure out by themselves how to properly access the PC's hardware, like input, sound, video etc. . They had to work around lots of hardware bugs and quirks and make their code work on a multitude of hardware configs. The fact that DOS was already an ancient OS when "demanding" games (especially 3D games) really kicked off didn't help at all. I mean, i wasn't until the second generation or so of DirectX games where you had real smooth scrolling as a standard in PC games, a feat that machines like the C64 or Amiga had no problem with at all. Windows slowly but steadily eliminated the need for the "custom hardware programming" by introducing various abstraction layers, which lead to the current DirectX.

I'm all for nostaliga and stuff, but saying things like "Windows has messed up gaming" is just silly. Evolution happens, and that's a very good thing.

Reply 6 of 19, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know that. I was only kidding. Sorry it wasn't that evident. I morso meant that it messed things up for my nostalgia. It definitely was better for games and easier on developers.

My Github

Reply 7 of 19, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here's what the terrified gamer world was forced into in 1995. 😁 I remember being endlessly fascinated by how Win95 found all of my hardware and how much better it was than 3.x (yikes!!), but I didn't have enough RAM (only 8MB). It was a whole new realm of tweaking to explore.
8014d830712610.gif

Reply 8 of 19, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Even without Windows the same thing would have happened eventually. VESA was becoming more cohesive and more widely supported at the hardware/BIOS level, for example, and Glide had a DOS port.

Reply 9 of 19, by carangil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

and Glide had a DOS port.

My two favorite Glide games (Descent II and Tomb Raider) were DOS glide games.

I think today's equivalent 'feel' to the old DOS systems, would be a stripped-down linux booting into single-user mode text mode. Its not DOS, but it's command line, and can use proprietary modern drivers. Whatever games or apps you run would be responsible for talking to the graphics driver (using the same interface that X or Mesa would run through.)

This would be about as 'pure' as a game system you could run in today's complex and proprietary hardware world. As for games, no one writes anything like this, so you're on your own for coding something up. Extra credit if you write it in assembly language 😀

Reply 10 of 19, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ADDiCT wrote:

No it didn't. That's like saying the invention of the wheel really messed up travelling. Welcome to the 21st century my friend.

In fact, from a gaming perspective, Windows was a revelation. As has been pointed out coders of DOS games had to write their own "drivers" - figure out by themselves how to properly access the PC's hardware, like input, sound, video etc. . They had to work around lots of hardware bugs and quirks and make their code work on a multitude of hardware configs. The fact that DOS was already an ancient OS when "demanding" games (especially 3D games) really kicked off didn't help at all. I mean, i wasn't until the second generation or so of DirectX games where you had real smooth scrolling as a standard in PC games, a feat that machines like the C64 or Amiga had no problem with at all. Windows slowly but steadily eliminated the need for the "custom hardware programming" by introducing various abstraction layers, which lead to the current DirectX.

I'm all for nostaliga and stuff, but saying things like "Windows has messed up gaming" is just silly. Evolution happens, and that's a very good thing.

And thank God it's happeing and we're going through it. No one could stand being stuck on 640k RAM forever...

"But listen to me brother, you just keep on walking, 'cause you and me and sister ain't got nothing to hide..." - Scatman John

Reply 12 of 19, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

eh the DOS extenders bypassed that conventional memory BS pretty well and even essentially cleared up the old need to eek out as much conventional as possible. As long as you didn't have ~300KB of DOS device drivers and TSRs running, you were in the clear. 😳 😁

Reply 13 of 19, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A dedicated Dos-platform 3D game would have been great, though. The game will have almost exclusive control of the system resources. (Unlike Windows systems, which use up plenty of them, just for the GUI itself.)

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 14 of 19, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wonder if it could be pulled off with OpenGL through the HX extender. Stupid unfeasible idea, but... OMG ATI OPENGL IN DOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSS DOS4GW UP UR WARCRAFT3

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 15 of 19, by temptingthelure

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Malik wrote:

A dedicated Dos-platform 3D game would have been great, though. The game will have almost exclusive control of the system resources. (Unlike Windows systems, which use up plenty of them, just for the GUI itself.)

Wasnt the first Quake such dos-platform 3d game? If it's not, please let me know. Quake 1 was originally a dos game, wasnt it?

Reply 17 of 19, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
temptingthelure wrote:
Malik wrote:

Wasnt the first Quake such dos-platform 3d game? If it's not, please let me know. Quake 1 was originally a dos game, wasnt it?

Ah yes! Quake's a true 3D dos game. I guess, I was referring more to the native OpenGL or other such rendering in pure dos. I think GLQuake requires Windows 95.

But the software mode does run in Dos. Yes, it's (Quake I) a true dos 3D game. Seeing in this perspective, so are Terminator : Skynet and Terminator : Future Shock. (These games came out BEFORE Quake, and have better mouselook support than Quake I, imho - don't require a depressed mouse button or key for mouselook.)

But the problem now is, no one wants to make one like these, with added support for 3d cards, in pure DOS.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 18 of 19, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Eh there are many other completely 3D games in DOS going back to the mid '80s.

CPU rendered 3D was no problem. It's when they have to interface with more and more hardware in DOS that it becomes horribly complex.

Reply 19 of 19, by Televicious

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm all for starting a DOS revival community. I'm a fan of DOS 7.10, I have yet to check out the russian modded DOS 8.0. Games that were made for it ran smooth for me. In fact that direct hardware programming allowed game makers to push the limits of the hardware, and also they helped develop the hardware themselves. The only reason Microsoft phased DOS out was to completely remove any possible competition as far as GUI's go. Then they could brand all their own programs and wipe out the market. Now we're stuck with basically what may as well be apple as far as licensing. I think the place to start would be making a new GUI OS layer to run on top of DOS 7.10. It's a pretty good start as it's already 32-bit and has loads of features. Or helping develop the arachne browser so as it can utilize javascript and css. Getting tools made that function with modern data. Maybe contact AMD and see what they have to offer in supporting hardware extensions development on new systems. They do work with linux.