VOGONS

Common searches

Midi Music

Topic actions

First post, by Alkarion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I just read the following article http://www.hardware-one.com/reviews.asp?aid=194&page=2 and found this statement:

FM synthesis was a really bad way to model real instruments and most of the time, the instruments sounded really tinny and hollow, not at all like the real thing.

which forced me to say something in defense of the good old adlib midi synth. I admit that the FM-synth wasn't good at reproducing real instruments except, perhaps for the trumpet (which is one of the easiest to simulate), but it didn't have to serve that purpose. Game music in the early nineties wasn't supposed to sound like a real orchestra or a real rock band. It was game music with entirely different aesthetics, without a real model in mind. Just think of the music for MadTV, it would sound ugly with a good instrument synthesis. I know Roland MT-32 owners think otherwise, and I still envy them, but I feel the Wing Commander music sounds warmer and is more immersive in the fm-synth version. I never liked the Kilrathi Saga sound remake of Wing Commander 1. The newly synthesized music just didn't belong to the 1990's graphics. Well, perhaps someone feels the same way.

Reply 1 of 5, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think I'm somewhere in the middle. While I agree that FM synthesis is not good at all at modeling real instruments, I've also heard plenty of kick-ass synth music that uses FM chips (mostly in Japanese console games, as I've said before). I've always lusted after Roland and wavetable MIDI for PC games though, partly because the majority of games (although admittedly not all - the Apogee shareware games are a notable exception) were made to take special advantage and sound better with it, and partly because I never had such resources in the days of DOS (the grass-is-greener-on-the-other-side syndrome I guess).

I know what you mean about FM synthesis sounding warmer too, but I think that just means that there wasn't a lot of high-frequency sound in the timbre of the instruments used.

Reply 2 of 5, by Alkarion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Of course, I suffered also from the grass-is-greener...-syndrome. I got my first adlib-clone (the cheapest of the cheap) in 1992, while I had been playing computer games from 1988 on. I listened to the Monkey-Island-tunes on my PC speaker and was astonished when I found out one day that there is music in the Scumm Bar. Later, somehow, music developed to one of the most important things about computer games for me as I have always sought very atmospheric games. After I got a soundblaster and most of the games used CD-Audio (which sadly led to a slow death for midi game music) I thought I would finally have the state-of-the-art sound. You can imagine that I was horrified when I realized that the Wing Commander 3 demo only supported General Midi. In fact, only with the advent of software synthesis I became aware of the great sound experience I missed in the Roland Mt-32 times. Just let's hope canadcow continues to work on his emulator until its perfect.

Reply 3 of 5, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How well does ensoniq soundscape sound when useing midi?

MB: ASRock B550 Steel Legend
CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X
RAM: Corsair 64GB Kit (4x16GB) DDR4 Veng LPX C18 4000MHz
SSDs: 2x Crucial MX500 1TB SATA + 1x Samsung 980 (non-pro) 1TB NVMe SSD
OSs: Win 11 Pro (NVMe) + WinXP Pro SP3 (SATA)
GPU: RTX2070 (11) GT730 (XP)

Reply 4 of 5, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Why isnt anyone answering??😕 😕 😕 😠 😠 😠

MB: ASRock B550 Steel Legend
CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X
RAM: Corsair 64GB Kit (4x16GB) DDR4 Veng LPX C18 4000MHz
SSDs: 2x Crucial MX500 1TB SATA + 1x Samsung 980 (non-pro) 1TB NVMe SSD
OSs: Win 11 Pro (NVMe) + WinXP Pro SP3 (SATA)
GPU: RTX2070 (11) GT730 (XP)

Reply 5 of 5, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Because I've never used an Ensoniq Soundscape. I imagine it sounds a lot like Creative's PCI cards when used in DOS, as they build on Ensoniq technology and use Ensoniq drivers for DOS support.