Reply 20 of 25, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ux-3 wrote:

I haven't played Doom yet.

Burn him at the stake! 🤣

I played the shareware version on a 386SX/25. Not much fun, because it meant either low resolution or reducing the 3D screen to a tiny window.
In 1995 I got the full version on a hand-me-down 486DX/33 with VLB graphics. What a difference! 😳

Reply 22 of 25, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
5u3 wrote:
ux-3 wrote:

I haven't played Doom yet.

Burn him at the stake! :lol:

Aren't some of the decorations in Doom like that? Do all those dead, dismembered and brutalized corpses actually represent the people who haven't played Doom?

...probably not, but ux-3, BEWARE! ;D

Actually, I first played Doom on my mother's 486DX2/66 system when I was only 12. (Yeah I was underage, what can I say?) It was the v1.2 version so you were able to have over 200% health and I managed to reach over 300% one particular game... then I eventually upgraded the version and health got capped at 200%. :(

...v1.2 also didn't like it if you saved while positioned under an open door. Horray for fixing saving glitches only a handful of people have ever faced! :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 23 of 25, by Anonymous Freak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Leading Edge branded 486, upgraded. Originally a 486-33, I upgraded it to a DX2-66; 24 MB RAM (yes, a positively insane amount of RAM back then,) VLB Genoa VGA/Super IO card, 540 MB hard drive (I was amazed that I paid less than $1/MB for it,) and either a Sound Blaster PRO or Sound Blaster AWE32. Not sure which precisely. I know I got the AWE32 when it first came out; and I know I played DOOM fairly early after it came out; so I don't know which came first.

I do remember going on a field trip to a Boeing plant my senior year in high school (graduated 1994,) and remarking "Wow. This would be a PERFECT vantage point to shoot that barrel!"

I also remember hating trying to make dial-up multiplayer work.

Reply 24 of 25, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heh, DOOM has been such a big part of my PC entertainment for so long now, I can hardly remember when I first starting playing it <grin>.

I remember back sometime in the middle of 1993 (?) seeing the shareware version at a local (now long-since gone) PC store down in Miami. I asked the guy "What is THAT?!", and he said an unreleased demo for an upcoming PC game (this, back when I was playing Wolfenstein 3D on a 286). After asking what the sys. reqs. were going to be, he said a 386-25... so's that's when I bought my first 386 class macine.

After DOOM was released, throughout the years, my PC had finally morphed into this -> http://www.cmoo.com/snor/weeds/Weeds_486DX4-100.htm , and that CPU prolly spent more of it's time playing DOOM than anything else (short of MIDI music composing).

Anonymous Freak wrote:

I also remember hating trying to make dial-up multiplayer work.

Heh, a buddy and I used to play DOOM each and every weekend. All of our games were MP over our modems, and we both had two telephone line. We would connect DOOM on one, and our speaker phones on the other... sort of a realtime two-way radio 😀

I couldn't count how many weekends we wasted like this... we could ZIP through a DOOM 1 episode, or DOOM 2 in no time at all.

Years later I hooked with with Team Eternal and TeamTNT (e.g. Final DOOM/Eternal DOOM/etc..), and the rest is history.

Ahh... the memories 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net