Reply 20 of 39, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:

If you want some REALLY good info, try msfn.org 😉 😉 😉

http://www.msfn.org/board/16bit-heaps-expande … ad-t130991.html

Yeah I found that on there awhile back. It blows my mind that MS managed to further their monopoly with those operating systems. They are just horrible software riddled with issues. All in the name of backwards compatibility of course, which is what has given MS so much power and kills companies that neglect it.

Back then though really it was an okay OS because we didn't multitask that much and apps were so simple and lightweight. 9x didn't have to be a server either. There were much more capable OSs around for real multitasking and for real heavy duty apps. 9x worked ok as a OS for consumers. Keep it away from me now though other than for retro gaming. I can't believe some folks want to rework 9x and try to use it today as their primary OS.

Reply 21 of 39, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yup, but on the other hand they probably can't believe there is a website called 'vogons' that has people trying to keep a quarter centuries computers up and running even though it's 'much easier to just use DOS box'.
Personally I wouldn't want to use anything prior to XP as my main OS.

Speaking of OS, even in the old days there was one reason that persuaded many to use a MS OS instead of Linux...gaming!
Back then I wasn't realy opposed to learning a new OS (tried the bootable Knoppix live-cd once and I kinda liked it right away) but saw no reason to tweak it to no end, just to get Total Annihilation, Piranha, Tankwars, AVP2 and all those other games to work. Let alone I'd have to do it without having the benefit of internet, it would've been impossible.

Personally I don't really know of anything that FE could do and SE could not. I just used FE (lots of strange crashes) and ME (worked about 9 out of 10 times on the games I was playing back then)

Reply 22 of 39, by lightmaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
digitaldoofus wrote:
DosFreak wrote:

Hell I've heard Vista is better for old games than Windows XP.

Wohhhhh! I've never heard that one. Source?

😉

source prolly microsoft 😜

25071588525_735097840e_b.jpg

Reply 24 of 39, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:

Btw, I once had 98FE. I got so many blue screens when I used it, I've never ever been tempted to use it again so I never bothered to look at 98FE again

Well, the key thing about 98SE is that it added support for WDM drivers. Some folks here have said that VXD drivers are preferable for performance reasons, but if I'm not mistaken they were primarily responsible for a lot of instability.

I suppose there are some situations in which the WDM drivers might be less compatible than the VXD drivers, but I think Creative's installers, at least, let you choose which one you wanted to use if you were running 98SE, rather than forcing you to use WDM.

Reply 25 of 39, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

*Looks @ lightmasters avatar*

ADHD?

😜

He's spinnin the tracks i'm dancing too

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 27 of 39, by erpster-xg4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Btw, I once had 98FE. I got so many blue screens when I used it, I've never ever been tempted to use it again so I never bothered to look at 98FE again

Well, the key thing about 98SE is that it added support for WDM drivers. Some folks here have said that VXD drivers are preferable for performance reasons, but if I'm not mistaken they were primarily responsible for a lot of instability.

I suppose there are some situations in which the WDM drivers might be less compatible than the VXD drivers, but I think Creative's installers, at least, let you choose which one you wanted to use if you were running 98SE, rather than forcing you to use WDM.

actually, Jorpho, Win98fe had some WDM driver support; but it was insufficient with certain devices and can fail or crash 98fe. Win98 SE had "improved" WDM driver support (mainly for audio, modem, usb, firewire/1394 and network cards) because of the improvements in its NTKERN module.

for video/graphics cards, however, you'll still need a VXD driver for that under win95/98/me. there are no wdm graphics drivers that work under 98se.

Reply 28 of 39, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

Personally I use ME on systems using a CPU of around 400Mhz to 800Mhz and 192MB or more RAM.

I probably wouldn't have done that in the past (I liked Win98 SE more), and certainly I'd never do that after 2006.

WinFLP is, in my opinion, a much much better option for those systems.

Regards.

Reply 29 of 39, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Leolo wrote:
I probably wouldn't have done that in the past (I liked Win98 SE more), and certainly I'd never do that after 2006. […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:

Personally I use ME on systems using a CPU of around 400Mhz to 800Mhz and 192MB or more RAM.

I probably wouldn't have done that in the past (I liked Win98 SE more), and certainly I'd never do that after 2006.

WinFLP is, in my opinion, a much much better option for those systems.

Regards.

That might be, but I don't have WinFLP, only got ME so I just use that.
Also in use I found ME to be a nice OS to use. All I do is tweak it a bit right after install.
Also ME has compressed maps and USB right out of the box which makes it a lot easier for me to copy over programs, drivers and other stuff.
98SE does have the unofficial service pack which adds USB but...can't use my USB stick to copy the SP to the 98SE harddrive because it doesn't work with USB out of the box.

In the end I tended to use ME more because of the ease to set it up and because it works just fine for me 😀

If I ever get a copy of WinFLP I'm surely gonna give it a go though, I'm just not in a hurry. Might aswell make a custom slipstreamed XP especially for older PC's hehe 😀

Reply 30 of 39, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

nLite'ing XP is only really beneficial for storage-limited situations (say, less than 4GB). Disabling startup programs and services works just as well to get speed, and you don't permanently remove parts of the OS you may need later.

I think the most useful aspect to nLite is the integration of storage drivers. Gets around the need for a floppy drive, something that's very inconvenient on notebooks. But I think the days of me putting XP on notebooks with SATA AHCI are past now.

Reply 31 of 39, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You could get something similar to WinFLP by using nLite and WinXP, but you won't get the real thing. And you'll surely have lots of problems with WindowsUpdate and other compatibility issues.

There are copies of WinFLP out there, but many of them are manipulated and give problems with the installation.

If you want the authentic one, search for it using these details:

SW_CD_SA_Win_Fundamentals_LPC_2006_English_MultiLang_WinFLP_Core_CD_MLF_X12-27765.iso Size: 602793984 bytes MD5: 3F2F4BA0B29B12B […]
Show full quote

SW_CD_SA_Win_Fundamentals_LPC_2006_English_MultiLang_WinFLP_Core_CD_MLF_X12-27765.iso
Size: 602793984 bytes
MD5: 3F2F4BA0B29B12B3D09ABB741E52733D
SHA1: 816237A22C9F1A7B388C34F584E95A1C66ED6C61
CRC32: 7D7215C2

Regards.

Reply 32 of 39, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On most of my computers I don't need compatibility with windows update since most of my systems are for offline use only.

nlite was fun to use (I've tested it quite extensively in VPC) and it does help in slimming it down for use on older systems, mainly in disabling startup services, disabling certain graphics and having XP customized out of the box (like having bmp's open with paint instead of that other viewer program I never use anyway etc).
And ofcourse I made one version of XP that doesn't require any user interaction to install except for assigning a computer name.
I can basically boot the cd on an empty computer, set up the partitions and let it run, come back after (half) an hour or so and I'm on the desktop 😀
No need to type in my location every time I install XP as I don't plan on emigrating any time soon! 😉

Edit: And ofcourse slipstreaming SP3 is a nice feature also 😉

Reply 33 of 39, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

98 is fine for old games and some internet. i think it's still possible to use the old avast but, not for too much longer. i still need to get my 98se laptop as i call it back up and running. if you guys play with xp and older check out ms technet for one year i get 10 keys good for 10 machines for xp through 7 and every version of each os it only cost my 250 but, you have 100 yearly renewal fee if you plan to keep it for a while. not many people have heard of it or believe it so guess thats why they are able to do it.

Reply 34 of 39, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm a Technet subscriber, and let me tell you that it's not the panacea that some people make it out to be.

For example, WinFLP (Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs) is not included in the subscription. Oh, and all the VL (Volume Licensing) versions of MS products are also missing.

And most of the older Windows versions have been removed for legal reasons. You won't find Windows 95, 98 or ME. Office 97 isn't available either.

I've recently been in a situation where I needed those older versions and I had to get them from PirateBay.

So, think twice before subscribing!

Reply 35 of 39, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Weird you can download Windows NT 3.51 and Windows 3.x and Office 95/2002 from MSDN but no Windows 9x or Office 97. huh.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 36 of 39, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah when i read about WinFLP on wiki the other day i was little sad it wasn't on technet, then again the original reason i got it was it's cheaper than a retail copy at the store i got office and 7 for my main machine. You can thank Sun Microsystems for not having 9x.

Reply 39 of 39, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote:

Weird you can download Windows NT 3.51 and Windows 3.x and Office 95/2002 from MSDN but no Windows 9x or Office 97. huh.

Thank the MSJava VM lawsuit for that one, though the earlier Windows 95 doesn't need to be pulled.

apsosig.png
long live PCem