VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm using a 32 inch Sony Bravia widescreen TV. Unfortunately it's not mine, I'm just borrowing it. On the back of it, I was surprised to find a standard PC VGA connector. I plugged in a VGA cable, and put the other end of it in to a netbook. Wow, not bad! This is the first time I've used a TV with a PC. It's nice to be able to use a light portable netbook with a TV - computing with a big screen in a comfy chair! I ran DOSBox, and the TV runs at 640x480/60Hz. I set one of the TV's display options to "full", and this made the DOSBox image appear quite large on the screen, without any stretching. There are black borders all around the image, but it still looks good/large. The TV seems to default to 4:3 aspect ratio. And browsing the net is enjoyable too, back in widescreen aspect ratio mode.

Reply 1 of 6, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you can get a DVI to HDMI adapter cable you should be able to get higher resolutions. I have one connected to an HDMI port on my TV and it really looks good @ 1920x1080.

I think that the PC output looks much better than console equivalents. I played Dragon Age on it for a while. My son brought his 360 and his copy of DA for the 360 when he was in for a visit and the PC version was noticeably better, even on the same display.

Reply 2 of 6, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The TV has 2 HDMI ports on the back of it, but unfortunately I cannot test this feature because at the moment I only have a netbook with a VGA connection/lead. I wonder how the TV would behave if I used it with an old PC? What I mean is - using DOS on an old PC defaults to 70Hz. Using a new PC and DOSBox runs successfully on the TV at 60Hz. Unfortunately, I don't have access to my old PC hardware at the moment, so I can't test this. If an old PC worked well with the TV, I would then forget about trying to buy a new 4:3 aspect ratio monitor. For one thing, these types of monitors are getting quite rare to buy new.

I think it's great that this TV can be selected to run in "old fashioned" 4:3 aspect ratio mode. Is this a common feature with new modern TVs?

Reply 3 of 6, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I have mine setup to a KVM with audio/vga/ps2 connected to some old machines works fine, 70 hz works, 4:3 ratio works fine and the tv can do proper fullscreen filling when it goes into some maximum scaling detection mode. The KVM seems capable of sending over 1080p in fairly decent quality as well. Who needs all this hdmi stuff 😀

Reply 4 of 6, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When using DOSBox on a modern PC, either with a PC monitor or a TV, the 60Hz image is good, clear and sharp. IMO, this is one of the many benefits of using DOSBox. OTOH, when using old DOS with an old PC on an LCD PC monitor, the 70Hz image is not quite as good/clear/sharp as the 60Hz DOSBox image. When you use your old PC hardware with a TV, and it successfully displays its image at 70Hz, do you notice that this 70Hz image is not quite as good/clear/sharp as the 60Hz DOSBox image?

Reply 6 of 6, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The reason I mentioned HDMI was because retro mentioned that he was using a Sony Bravia. Sony doesn't allow the full resolution using the VGA port in the back, only through an HDMI connection. I found that out when connecting a PC to my parent's Sony Bravia and was unable to set to higher resolutions. That was a couple years ago, so maybe the newer model's are different, but in the past DVI to HDMI was the only way to get the full resolution on a Sony Bravia.