VOGONS

Common searches

VLC 1.1, wow!

Topic actions

First post, by Hater Depot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Version 1.1 is much faster, it has really breathed new life into my Athlon XP box. Until now I was seriously thinking of replacing it just for smoother playback of high-quality video. No more.

Korea Beat -- my cool translation blog.

Reply 2 of 6, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried the new version, and I'll agree that it sucks quite a bit less than the older versions, but that's about all I can say for it... MPC-HC is still far better. (Especially when paired with the Divx7 or CoreAVC codec on slower machines... 720P on a PIII, anyone? 😁 )

Reply 3 of 6, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

VLC has always been a good media player if only for the fact that it bypasses region coding checks effectively making your computer into a region free movie player. Handy for those Europe or Asia only releases that you can't live without. If it's now been made less resource hungry, it opens up use to luddites like us who still have ancient machines that we would like to be able to watch movies on.

Reply 5 of 6, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:

VLC's capabilities as a region-free DVD player cannot overcome the region protection built into Windows.

Ummm...I play region 2 DVD's on my laptop with VLC under Windows 7 all the time.